Shooting / Editing / Exporting ....video questions, Oh My

Reaction score
I am hoping that some of the video gurus can help this noob. I really would like to make the best videos possible for my small business.

I am using the P4A drone. I understand that it is best to double the shutter speed from my fps. I understand to keep the ISO down to 100 as best I can, and that I may need to use ND filters to achieve this. I learned that Cinelike is probably the best to bring out variations in color and contrast for the editing process, and that decreasing the saturation, contrast, etc. helps even more.

I plan on shooting in .mp4, as I have a windows computer and run Sony Vegas Pro 14. I would like to produce the best scenery / sweeping panoramas I can with my drone. I was planning on shooting in 1080p at 24 fps or 60 fps, depending if I want slow motion or not. I decided on 1080p because my Nikon will only shoot up to 1080p (and I thought this would make the workflow easier), and because not many monitors or tv's (as of yet) have 4K ability.

So...can I simply pull all of the 1080p video into my Sony Vegas editor, or do I need to import in a different "editing format" to work on the color? to work on splicing and joining? If I need an editing format, how do I choose which format to use?

Then, lastly, do I need to render in different formats for different purposes, mostly Internet (Youtube, Facebook and Instagram) and CD's (for family and friends to watch)? Is the 1080p format sufficient for both?

Any help would be VERY MUCH appreciated. The files and settings all get confusing very quickly. But I am tenacious!

Cheers to all you Droners!

Reactions: OOO
Because of the number of people that have 27 and 30 inch monitors I would bump the 1080 to 2560 which is 2K and that way you will get an astounding picture quality on the bigger monitors . 2K is simple to edit on most computers and much easier that 4K which can be taxing at times. Than I would shoot at 30 fps unless you need some slow motion . Good luck, Phantomrain.org

second.gif

Because of the number of people that have 27 and 30 inch monitors I would bump the 1080 to 2560 which is 2K and that way you will get an astounding picture quality on the bigger monitors . 2K is simple to edit on most computers and much easier that 4K which can be taxing at times. Than I would shoot at 30 fps unless you need some slow motion .

I'm confused as yo why a 2k video would display better on a 1080 monitor just because it was larger.

Because of the number of people that have 27 and 30 inch monitors I would bump the 1080 to 2560 which is 2K and that way you will get an astounding picture quality on the bigger monitors . 2K is simple to edit on most computers and much easier that 4K which can be taxing at times. Than I would shoot at 30 fps unless you need some slow motion . Good luck, Phantomrain.org

View attachment 93897
Do I need to bring my film into my editor in a special "editing format"? This is what confuses me the most. I read "edit in natural format" and "editing format" and am not sure if that just means "at the same rate and size you filmed at"...or if it means I need to convert it to some special "editing format."

If I DO NOT need to import it in with some special editing format, can i work on 2k (from drone) and 1080p (most my camera will do) on the same timeline? Or will I need to work on each separately and then render the 2K down into 1080p and then into the 1080p timeline? It would be bad to import or render up, right??? Like a picture....

Do I need to bring my film into my editor in a special "editing format"? This is what confuses me the most. I read "edit in natural format" and "editing format" and am not sure if that just means "at the same rate and size you filmed at"...or if it means I need to convert it to some special "editing format."

If I DO NOT need to import it in with some special editing format, can i work on 2k (from drone) and 1080p (most my camera will do) on the same timeline? Or will I need to work on each separately and then render the 2K down into 1080p and then into the 1080p timeline? It would be bad to import or render up, right??? Like a picture....

If your editor is only going to post 1080 than there is no sense in giving him 2K footage. In regards to your other question , yes you can edit and scale to frame size both 2K and 1080 footage using most editing platforms.

If your editor is only going to post 1080 than there is no sense in giving him 2K footage. In regards to your other question , yes you can edit and scale to frame size both 2K and 1080 footage using most editing platforms.
My editor will do both. I was just unsure if I had to work on them separately because they were different sizes. Thank you. :)

There is more to an editing format than resolution. Different CODECS work well or less well in NLE’s. In the Apple world, ProRes in various flavors is the best choice for smooth editing. It is not required but helpful. The AVC codec the DJI uses is a very highly compressed codec which uses anchor frames periodically, and only records difference frames in between. Different NLES deal more or less well making cuts on these difference frames.

Lindsaybev. I'm going to keep it simple. You mentioned that you are a video noob. Ok no problem. then your next question was related to a process called transcoding where the highly compressed camera output usually h.264 AVC (Mp4) files for windows and quick time for Apple. Is then (using an external program) trans coded to an less compressed codec that requires less strain from the editing program.
The two most common codec to transcode to is for Windows DNxHD or Apple Prores.
tis depends on your computer If you have a fast computer and strong video card, Vegas will process the footage just fine without trandcoding. Disc space is also an issue. A 1.5gb Mp4 from the phantom transcodes to a 6gb file.

I would never shoot at 1080p. I almost always shoot at 2.7k since you may want to correct for a tilted horizon.

Finally you mentioned shutter speed of twice the inverse of the frame rate and ND filters. That necessitates shooting in manual mode and now you are limited to where you can position the bird in relation to the sun, since the camera will not change when the lights change. Unless you are going for a cinematic look then plan your flights accordingly and shoot manual otherwise use the appropriate ND filter and shoot automatic. If you are going to shoot manual the easiest way to select the appropriate nd filter is; Place the phantom on a snack table 90 degress from the sun. and set the camera to manual and set the ISO to 100. for a medium bright day start out with an ND8 check the camera numbers DJI4 or Litchi assuming you are shooting @ 30fps if it's less than 60 use an nd4. If it's more than 120 switch to nd16. However, the 2x the inverse of the frame rate was to provide traditional motion blur which is really not that noticeable @ altitude or when flying slowly.

You did not say what your business was and how were going to use your drone. If it is real estate, weddings etc. Go to youtube and search for "shooting and editing drone footage for what ever it is you are doing.

Finally you asked

The timeline can share footage from the drone another video camera and stills. It's best that they use the same frame rate or multiples of the same frame rate. ie 24fps does not play well with 30fps. So set the project to the delivery size 1080p and the timeline can share footage from 2.7k as well as 1080 footage. The 2.7k can be cropped and adjusted without decreasing quality.

Then, lastly, do I need to render in different formats for different purposes, mostly Internet (Youtube, Facebook and Instagram) and CD's (for family and friends to watch)? Is the 1080p format sufficient for both?

1080P is fine Youtube has their own compression which does affect quality, and Face book is way worse and prefers a square aspect ratio so most put the you tube link into facebook. CDs are another thing altogether there's blue ray there is interlaced vs progressive. standard DVD is 720x480 horrible when compared to 1920 x 1080.

Now I know I confused you. This only means that you may want to acquire more knowledge related to video editing . I recommend either Lynda.com or Udemy.com

Reactions: BeeLab
Lindsaybev. I'm going to keep it simple. You mentioned that you are a video noob. Ok no problem. then your next question was related to a process called transcoding where the highly compressed camera output usually h.264 AVC (Mp4) files for windows and quick time for Apple. Is then (using an external program) trans coded to an less compressed codec that requires less strain from the editing program.
tis depends on your computer If you have a fast computer and strong video card, Vegas will process the footage just fine without trandcoding. Disc space is also an issue. A 1.5gb Mp4 from the phantom transcodes to a 6gb file.

I would never shoot at 1080p. I almost always shoot at 2.7k since you may want to correct for a tilted horizon.

Finally you mentioned shutter speed of twice the inverse of the frame rate and ND filters. That necessitates shooting in manual mode and now you are limited to where you can position the bird in relation to the sun, since the camera will not change when the lights change. Unless you are going for a cinematic look then plan your flights accordingly and shoot manual otherwise use the appropriate ND filter and shoot automatic. If you are going to shoot manual the easiest way to select the appropriate nd filter is; Place the phantom on a snack table 90 degress from the sun. and set the camera to manual and set the ISO to 100. for a medium bright day start out with an ND8 check the camera numbers DJI4 or Litchi assuming you are shooting @ 30fps if it's less than 60 use an nd4. If it's more than 120 switch to nd16. However, the 2x the inverse of the frame rate was to provide traditional motion blur which is really not that noticeable @ altitude or when flying slowly.

You did not say what your business was and how were going to use your drone. If it is real estate, weddings etc. Go to youtube and search for "shooting and editing drone footage for what ever it is you are doing.

Finally you asked

The timeline can share footage from the drone another video camera and stills. It's best that they use the same frame rate or multiples of the same frame rate. ie 24fps does not play well with 30fps. So set the project to the delivery size 1080p and the timeline can share footage from 2.7k as well as 1080 footage. The 2.7k can be cropped and adjusted without decreasing quality.

1080P is fine Youtube has their own compression which does affect quality, and Face book is way worse and prefers a square aspect ratio so most put the you tube link into facebook. CDs are another thing altogether there's blue ray there is interlaced vs progressive. standard DVD is 720x480 horrible when compared to 1920 x 1080.

Now I know I confused you. This only means that you may want to acquire more knowledge related to video editing . I recommend either Lynda.com or Udemy.com

Being able to fix the Horizon is a great one.,

There is more to an editing format than resolution. Different CODECS work well or less well in NLE’s. In the Apple world, ProRes in various flavors is the best choice for smooth editing. It is not required but helpful. The AVC codec the DJI uses is a very highly compressed codec which uses anchor frames periodically, and only records difference frames in between. Different NLES deal more or less well making cuts on these difference frames.
Thank you for answering me! I find it very difficult to get information to specific questions.

Finally you asked

Very well written, and well thought out. I can't thank you enough for explaining this for me. I have searched for days, until me eyes and head hurt. I would get tid bits here and there, and put them all on a sticky note, and then culled the information. You helped me out a lot, as I was taking for granted that I needed to do everything that everyone else was doing, despite the fact that I do have a fairly powerful computer.

Downloading from the microSD card, I am able to edit in Sony Vegas Pro without it stuttering. I am guessing that I really don't need to worry about an outside transcoding because I am able to work well without it? See? I thought I was missing out on something and not getting the "best footage" I could. But, to me, again a noob, it does all look pretty darn good. Even at 1080p... lol :).

And, actually, you DID NOT confuse me at all. In fact, you cleared many things up for me!!! I can't thank you enough.

Reactions: Samuraiz

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stovebayen