How’s the latest firmware?

Reaction score
Greetings folks...

After a cross country move, I’ve decided to get the the P4P back up in the air after an 8 month hiatus. It was flying perfectly previously and was wondering if the latest firmware is just as good. Any issues I should be aware of before pulling the trigger on updating? Cheers!

Fred

Greetings folks...

After a cross country move, I’ve decided to get the the P4P back up in the air after an 8 month hiatus. It was flying perfectly previously and was wondering if the latest firmware is just as good. Any issues I should be aware of before pulling the trigger on updating? Cheers!

Fred
JMHO. If it was working good before you moved leave it alone. You're liable to open up a can of worms. I don't know for sure but why take the chance. If it ain't broke don't fix it.

Excellent. That's what I was hoping for. I'm sure I have the latest DJI-Go app and didn't know if it required me to upgrade the firmware to work. Cheers!

Excellent. That's what I was hoping for. I'm sure I have the latest DJI-Go app and didn't know if it required me to upgrade the firmware to work. Cheers!
I don't believe any update is required, it's personal preference ..as I said if it ain't broke don't fix it and many other members of the forum feel the same way.

Reactions: MotorCycle-Man
I did the update, and in general, it seems okay, but I have had several 'aircraft disconnected' incidents where the connection could not be reestablished. All happened within 80' range of the RC and all were post update. Seems okay when I fly longer distances. It may have to do with Intelligent Flight Modes, as the disconnects all happened while the AC was hovering and we were setting up IFM.

I flew three batteries through it without incident. Only got out to 3500' and 200' high and absolutely no glitch. Flat Florida helps I'm sure with the range. Man, I've forgotten a lot. Back to the drawing board with the learning. o_O

Reactions: Technical Bob
I did the full update, including the RC, and haven't had any issues. I've flown 2 32,000' round trip routes without a hitch.

Reactions: WebheadFred
In addition to freezing the firmware, TURN OFF auto update on the app too! And don't update your iPad OS either. FREEZE the configuration and you'll have less frustration, and no surprises.

In addition to freezing the firmware, TURN OFF auto update on the app too! And don't update your iPad OS either. FREEZE the configuration and you'll have less frustration, and no surprises.

What is this “auto update on the app “

In Google Play settings you can disable auto update of your apps. IOS has the same option. You need to turn off the auto updating so you aren't surprised with a new app one day that totally resets all of your settings without telling you, not to mention it could possible not work with your old firmware, forcing you to upgrade the firmware with no choice. It's not easy remembering all of the settings you worked weeks to fine tune, and when apps update without telling you over night, you wake up to a whole new setup in the app, which often doesn't work as expected. FREEZE EVERYTHING, including your OS upgrades, and you'll never get surprised.

Last edited:
Has anyone read what is in this newest firmware? I never did do the last update several months ago! LOL

No problems at all on a few 20 minute flights with plenty of wind.

Interestingly, I couldn’t get P4P within a 100 yards of a barge being towed out for a fireworks show!

I am still on firmware '509', released during the 1st QTR of 2017 and it still works perfectly !!! ... '509' is the last quality firmware update DJI released BEFORE all of the NO-FLY ZONE updates & the many 'feature' debacles following it ... some of the many logged issues may now be finally resolved (the jury is still out on that one) but there were so many horror stories as a result all of those jammed-in updates following '509', that it ruined my faith in any sound software regression testing practices being observed at DJI before any new release is sent out to the public.

If you own a DJI Drone, it is a significant $$ investment and the quality of the firmware controlling it is directly related to the successful safe operation and SURVIVAL of your drone ... so be wary of ANY updates until they have been well vetted by many other users over at least several months before even considering loading one in your expensive hardware.

Remember - "If it ain't broke, don't fix it !!!"

Reactions: Timinator
No issues found, 50 flights and all is great!

Well, everybody's experience is different so let me tell you mine. Before the latest firmware update I was having problems, the biggest being the screen inversion when in bird's eye view. Up turns into down and down turns into up. Updating the firmware fix that problem for me. It also gave me access to 360 Pano mode which does not exist unless you update the firmware. The only issues I have had are green-screen, but I believe that is due to my iPad Mini 3 not having the processing power when temperatures get too hot. Hope this helps.

I’m on the 106 400 I believe firmware and I have a few bugs that happen when I turn the bird on for instants battery says not available or get a little camera glitch but when I reset restart the bird everything seems to be OK just wanted to know everybody’s thoughts should I or shouldn’t die I’ve had it Five months now and I’ve got cracks on the back two legs around the motors which I’ve put Apoxsee glue seems to be OK has anyone else had cracks around the motor and it is a brand new phantom for pro plus version and that’s what I want to mention it to anyone owns the plus version with the newest firmware do you have any black screens or any transmission problems

In Google Play settings you can disable auto update of your apps. IOS has the same option. You need to turn off the auto updating so you aren't surprised with a new app one day that totally resets all of your settings without telling you, not to mention it could possible not work with your old firmware, forcing you to upgrade the firmware with no choice. It's not easy remembering all of the settings you worked weeks to fine tune, and when apps update without telling you over night, you wake up to a whole new setup in the app, which often doesn't work as expected. FREEZE EVERYTHING, including your OS upgrades, and you'll never get surprised.

I was under the impression that only firmware updates to the drone, not APP software updates (which happen with great frequency) that run on iPhone/iPad, etc.,might change preference settings. But I am just a "senior" new guy with one yr of experience so I'll count on you to fill in the answers. Also, not sure about the advice by some posters to not keep up to date with drone, APP and iPhone/iPAD updates. Most are improvements, but yes, some have bugs. I do agree that you should turn off AUTO updates, so you can select and know when an update occurs.

Reactions: DMcNamara
Do
Greetings folks...

Fred
DON’T DO IT!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.