P3 Firmware P3P not saving data after firmware update

Reaction score
Greetings,
I have been an owner of a Phantom 3 Pro for about 2-3 years and I have been very satisfied with it so far. I decided to update the drone firmware because I was getting annoyed of the notification in the DJI GO app saying my firmware is outdated and that I needed to update it. I formatted my SD card and put the .bin file on the SD Card. The first few tries were unsuccessful - the update just won't initialize. I spent hours looking up forums until I found a thread which prompted to forcing the update by pressing the linking button on the aircraft. I did that and the drone started updating itself. I checked the log file, the update was successful. However, the drone now won't save photos or videos to the SD Card. It just saves videos to the phone. The videos stop recording by themselves. I just start the recording and after 5 seconds it just stops by itself. As to taking photos, when I click the button it just goes to a black screen, then the DJI logo appears and nothing saves to the SD card or phone and it makes a D---DD noise. I've formatted the SD card many times, switched three SD cards but the same result with all three of them. I am truly lost and I don't know what the problem is. I think the possible problem is that I haven't updated the RC and there is some incompatibility issue but I don't get any notification update for my RC on my DJI GO app. I tried inserting a flash drive in the RC containing a .bin file but nothing happens. I ordered a card reader to see if it will work with the RC and it will probably arrive tomorrow but decided to make this post regardless to see if anyone has faced the same issue. I've uploaded two screen recording to Google Drive for better view of the problem.

Thanks in advance

Reactions: Oso
Greetings,
I have been an owner of a Phantom 3 Pro for about 2-3 years and I have been very satisfied with it so far. I decided to update the drone firmware because I was getting annoyed of the notification in the DJI GO app saying my firmware is outdated and that I needed to update it. I formatted my SD card and put the .bin file on the SD Card. The first few tries were unsuccessful - the update just won't initialize. I spent hours looking up forums until I found a thread which prompted to forcing the update by pressing the linking button on the aircraft. I did that and the drone started updating itself. I checked the log file, the update was successful. However, the drone now won't save photos or videos to the SD Card. It just saves videos to the phone. The videos stop recording by themselves. I just start the recording and after 5 seconds it just stops by itself. As to taking photos, when I click the button it just goes to a black screen, then the DJI logo appears and nothing saves to the SD card or phone and it makes a D---DD noise. I've formatted the SD card many times, switched three SD cards but the same result with all three of them. I am truly lost and I don't know what the problem is. I think the possible problem is that I haven't updated the RC and there is some incompatibility issue but I don't get any notification update for my RC on my DJI GO app. I tried inserting a flash drive in the RC containing a .bin file but nothing happens. I ordered a card reader to see if it will work with the RC and it will probably arrive tomorrow but decided to make this post regardless to see if anyone has faced the same issue. I've uploaded two screen recording to Google Drive for better view of the problem.

Thanks in advance
When you have the sd card in the camera and the drone is powered on, what is the light on the front of the camera doing?

Reactions: BigL
The light is a solid green.
Have you reformatted the sd card, through the camera settings? It may be trying to do an update if you still have the .bin loaded on the sd card.
If you have done what I’ve the mentioned above, then put the sd card into your computer and see what the results log says.
Also look to see what the AB LOG says, that is in the hidden file.

Last edited:
Have you reformatted the sd card, through the camera settings? It may be trying to do an update if you still have the .bin loaded on the sd card.
If you have done what I’ve the mentioned above, then put the sd card into your computer and see what the results log says.
Also look to see what the AB LOG says, that is in the hidden file.
I reformatted the sd card through the camera settings. I get the same result. I've attached both the result log and AB LOG. They both say that the update was aborted because this version of the firmware is already installed.

Attachments

• P3X_FW_LOG_AB.txt
    36.4 KB · Views: 205
  • P3X_FW_RESULT_AB.txt
    4.5 KB · Views: 189
Symptoms:

1. Drone flies, FPV works after the drone is turned on, gimbal LED is green
2. Taking a photo or recording a movie does not work, and causes:
- FPV to disappear for a few seconds
- diode on the gimbal to turn off, blink red, then return to green when FPV returns

Problem:

Ambarella chip on Gimbal Top Board is crashing while taking a photo/video, it then reboots and backs to normal in a few seconds.

Cause:

Normally I'd say Ambarella reboots because of SD card slot being damaged, or SD-card itself being damaged or having dirty contacts.

But since this started after firmware update, it's also possible that the issue is caused by that update. either Ambarella firmware not being correctly flashed, or one of the chips (Ambarella, its RAM, NAND or power delivery chip) being overheated while updating. That would have to be very specific/localized issue, as everything works as long as you're not trying to process the full size image from CMOS sensor. So SD-card problem still seem more likely.

Solution:

Make sure it's not your SD-card, and that SD-card slot is OK. Are you sure you haven't tried to push the card in incorrectly? Were you messing with the slot in any other way? Did something felt strange while inserting/removing the card at any point?

If you're quasi-sure it's not the SD-card slot, you might try re-flashing the firmware. But every reflash has a chance of failing and bricking something completely - it would be safer to reflash only the Ambarella chip and its m0100 firmware module.

If that won't help - then something got overheated and component level repair of BGA chips cannot be avoided.

Reactions: KachemakDiver
Symptoms:

1. Drone flies, FPV works after the drone is turned on, gimbal LED is green
2. Taking a photo or recording a movie does not work, and causes:
- FPV to disappear for a few seconds
- diode on the gimbal to turn off, blink red, then return to green when FPV returns

Problem:

Ambarella chip on Gimbal Top Board is crashing while taking a photo/video, it then reboots and backs to normal in a few seconds.

Cause:

Normally I'd say Ambarella reboots because of SD card slot being damaged, or SD-card itself being damaged or having dirty contacts.

But since this started after firmware update, it's also possible that the issue is caused by that update. either Ambarella firmware not being correctly flashed, or one of the chips (Ambarella, its RAM, NAND or power delivery chip) being overheated while updating. That would have to be very specific/localized issue, as everything works as long as you're not trying to process the full size image from CMOS sensor. So SD-card problem still seem more likely.

Solution:

Make sure it's not your SD-card, and that SD-card slot is OK. Are you sure you haven't tried to push the card in incorrectly? Were you messing with the slot in any other way? Did something felt strange while inserting/removing the card at any point?

If you're quasi-sure it's not the SD-card slot, you might try re-flashing the firmware. But every reflash has a chance of failing and bricking something completely - it would be safer to reflash only the Ambarella chip and its m0100 firmware module.

If that won't help - then something got overheated and component level repair of BGA chips cannot be avoided.
Thanks for you reply. I am certain the SD-card slot is in order, I haven't tried to push it incorrectly, I always check how I put the card and everytime it is the correct way. I have not messed with SD-Card slot in any other way. Nothing has ever felt strange when removing or inserting the card. I read the guide you provided and followed the steps on it and if I understood correctly, in order to flash the m0100 firmware module I need to rename the bin update file [P3X_FW_V01.11.0020.bin] I have for the latest version to PFC300XFw3.bin and have also the P3X_FW_DEBUG in the SD-root folder. If that is the correct procedure, I've tried it and it starts the procedure and it starts blinking red and green and doing the beep sound when it gets update but after 10-15 seconds what I get is the continous beep and red LED light. After I insert the SD-Card back in the PC the file is renamed to PFC300XFw3_damaged.bin. Am I doing something wrong or does this mean a component in the aircraft is damaged? I would love some further instructions If I am doing something incorrectly.

Thanks for you reply. I am certain the SD-card slot is in order, I haven't tried to push it incorrectly, I always check how I put the card and everytime it is the correct way. I have not messed with SD-Card slot in any other way. Nothing has ever felt strange when removing or inserting the card. I read the guide you provided and followed the steps on it and if I understood correctly, in order to flash the m0100 firmware module I need to rename the bin update file [P3X_FW_V01.11.0020.bin] I have for the latest version to PFC300XFw3.bin and have also the P3X_FW_DEBUG in the SD-root folder. If that is the correct procedure, I've tried it and it starts the procedure and it starts blinking red and green and doing the beep sound when it gets update but after 10-15 seconds what I get is the continous beep and red LED light. After I insert the SD-Card back in the PC the file is renamed to PFC300XFw3_damaged.bin. Am I doing something wrong or does this mean a component in the aircraft is damaged? I would love some further instructions If I am doing something incorrectly.
Did you put the debug file on the sd card first? Also if it was me, I’d downgrade the firmware to v1.19.90, also using the debug file.
Or maybe think about try the v1.03.0020 it’s a special version that some people have used to fix the failed update of 1.11.20:

Reactions: vaniobandito
You actually need to use Python tool to extract single modules from that package file, and rename one of the extracted modules.
The module you want is m0100.
Greetings, sorry for the long time to reply, I was very busy recently. I successfully extracted the files within the update file. I put the P3X_FW_V01.11.0020_m0100.bin file on a fully formated SD card and renamed it to PFC300XFw3.bin along with a P3X_FW_DEBUG file. It started doing the normal update sound and flashing red and green. After 2-3 minutes of the same, it just went solid green with no success sound. I decided to remove the SD card and see the result and the file was renamed to PFC300XFw3_updated.bin, so the update of the module was indeed successful. However, when I started up the drone and the remote control and tried to take a picture the result was the same. Black screen, then DJI logo and then D---DD sound.

Greetings,

Thanks in advance
Did you ever find a fix? I’m having same issue.

Did you ever find a fix? I’m having same issue.
Nope, sent it to a friend of mine that is a service guy to have a look around 3 weeks ago. He said he might have found the problem but he still hasn't called me or anything.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobDan