Help me! At Apple store running through their inventory. This is unreal.

According to the people I'm speaking to at Apple, they are not getting a lot of returns and they are flying off the shelves. But for instance the one that had the loudest gimbal screech I ever heard today might be bought, flown by a novice for a couple months and BAM, RMA, or worse....
Most likely scenario is that it will have a long happy life and no issues related to the gimbal at all...The person that bought it will probably be happy too and not running around like a crazy person testing every P4 at every Apple store in Kalifornia...

Reactions: dirkclod
I think that the obsession with whether it has all possible stickers is misplaced. Mine shipped the first week direct from DJI, and only had a couple of stickers on the CA sensors, plus the sticker on the gimbal. That is clearly nothing to do with static, either, since it is plastic covering a polymer part, and presumably would not have an orange pull tab if it were meant not to be removed.

I agree - and one step further - this particular sticker would also be available to order as a replacement part of it were truly there for anti-static purposes.

I had a similar problem where I could not use one iPad to connect to two different birds, a P3 and a p4. I had to delete the existing go app and reload go, then it worked with the P4. Has anyone else flown two birds with one iPad?

I don't know if I actually flew them both - but I had 2 P3A's and they were both able to "connect" to the DJI Go app on both my iPhone and iPad without requiring a removal/reinstall. I connected them recently, one after the other to enable the "flight data" mode on the birds - and everything worked properly.

Have you sent this sentiment to Mr Wang at DJI yet?
Sure have. I went thru then growing pains with the P2, P3 and the Inspire. I thought that perhaps DJI would have worked out the bugs for the P4... NOT. And sorry to another poster about 'a small vocal minority' that is having issues, it is much more then that. The P4 is not ready for prime time. I'll wait and fly my others

Thanks,
I don't think they stop or refurbished since mine didn't have stickers other that the ones in arms and the main camera. None in CA or VPS. And I preordered mine from DJI store way before the launch.

Good luck man!
Interestinf. Thanks for the info. Maybe there are multiple lines but you would think they would package everything generally the same.

Thanks!

Most likely scenario is that it will have a long happy life and no issues related to the gimbal at all...The person that bought it will probably be happy too and not running around like a crazy person testing every P4 at every Apple store in Kalifornia...
Lol. Apparently you don't know about the DJI screech. You keep a bird that screams the second you turn it on at the gimble and get back to me in a month on how your cam is doing if it works at all.

A lot of angry people on this forum. Very glad real life is not this way. Don't get me wrong, there are A LOT of awesome prople here but there are a couple that just can't stop saying how awesome and righteous and good they are about life and issues and ethics.

In my life, I have found, in reality the "salt of the earth" types that claim to have the strongest "family values" are more likely doing whatever to anyone to get for themselves and use belts to discipline their children and scoff at everyone for being elite while being the biggest elitists of them all.

I wasn't doing anything like a crazy person. I was going to the store and trying to find a working unit.

And I am HARDLY alone. Go to the DJI forum and have a look see. Besides and again, my original one is totally fine.

If you want to be the kind of guy that buys a $1400 broken new unit, by all means, I have no problem with that, but it ain't me and never will be. I expect a $16 cheese-burger to be delicious and a $1400 camera to work right out of the box.

Last edited:
I think that the obsession with whether it has all possible stickers is misplaced. Mine shipped the first week direct from DJI, and only had a couple of stickers on the CA sensors, plus the sticker on the gimbal. That is clearly nothing to do with static, either, since it is plastic covering a polymer part, and presumably would not have an orange pull tab if it were meant not to be removed.
It's not an obsession about the stickers. I was just trying to figure out whether the packaging difference meant something or not. Don't care about the actual stickers one iota. I also own one that shipped to the Apple Store. I bought one at the Apple Store 6 days before the release and that's the one that has always worked great and it has all the other packaging. I've only heard of this new packaging from anyone that got one this week. You're the first person I heard that didn't have the sticker on the case in the first run.

As for the orange tab being anti-static or not, that's not me talking and I can't offer anything to its validity and it did sound strange to me too but this was someone on the phone at the "DJI Customer Service" who said that. I still think it's there to prevent a scratch from when the gimble goes on a hard angle and touches that part.

But again, I didn't say this, I was told this.

***edit: I sense this thread going sour again. I won't be responding to anything. I'm tired of all the negativity.

Last edited:
It's not an obsession about the stickers. I was just trying to figure out whether the packaging difference meant something or not. Don't care about the actual stickers one iota. I also own one that shipped to the Apple Store. I bought one at the Apple Store 6 days before the release and that's the one that has always worked great and it has all the other packaging. I've only heard of this new packaging from anyone that got one this week. You're the first person I heard that didn't have the sticker on the case in the first run.

As for the orange tab being anti-static or not, that's not me talking and I can't offer anything to its validity and it did sound strange to me too but this was someone on the phone at the "DJI Customer Service" who said that. I still think it's there to prevent a scratch from when the gimble goes on a hard angle and touches that part.

But again, I didn't say this, I was told this.

***edit: I sense this thread going sour again. I won't be responding to anything. I'm tired of all the negativity.

I wasn't trying to be negative, so sorry if it seemed that way. I simply got the impression, from you and others before, that a lack of stickers indicated a problem and a unit that should be rejected on those grounds. My point was just that the presence/absence of stickers appears to be somewhat random, and probably should not be a part of any decision-making process.

Reactions: N017RW
I was not trying to be negative either.

It just seemed a little strange to me to reject a potential purchase because some stickers weren't in place where you thought they should be (even after numerous examples of this being totally random from day 1 of the P4 release)...

or reject every other P4 because the gimbal made a little or a lot of noise (also extremely variable from day 1).

You've got 14 days to return it to Apple. Take the F'r home and test it. For all we really know, the ones with the REAL issues may be the ones whose gimbals are silent.

Good luck.

My point was just that the presence/absence of stickers appears to be somewhat random, and probably should not be a part of any decision-making process.

This is correct, the stickers are completely meaningless and should not factor in your decision making. DJI already confirmed elsewhere that multiple factories are involved in the production and there are small differences with regard to protective packaging and minor parts like the rubber on the legs having a groove or not...

Sure have. I went thru then growing pains with the P2, P3 and the Inspire. I thought that perhaps DJI would have worked out the bugs for the P4... NOT. And sorry to another poster about 'a small vocal minority' that is having issues, it is much more then that. The P4 is not ready for prime time. I'll wait and fly my others

Do you have statistics to back that up, or is it just a gut feeling? As far as I can tell, there are relatively few solid reports of technical issues. There were complaints about range and battery life from a few people in the first week or two, and other than that, just isolated problems reported. Most people on this forum seem to have had no significant problems at all. In particular, virtually no losses reported that were not user error. It seems like a very robust version to me.

This is correct, the stickers are completely meaningless and should not factor in your decision making. DJI already confirmed elsewhere that multiple factories are involved in the production and there are small differences with regard to protective packaging and minor parts like the rubber on the legs having a groove or not...

Where is else where? Please provide source.

I wouldn't say the stickers are completely meaningless. They may not point conclusively to a flaw with a particular device - but it does speak volumes about their manufacturing process and quality control or lack thereof.

It doesn't matter if there is one assembly facility or dozens. If there is a packaging checklist/manifest and even just a rudimentary quality control process - the sort of thing that is being reported here just doesn't happen!

Being assembled in China "where the attention to detail is not as important" is not an excuse either. Apple assembles millions of iPhones in China - compared to the thousands of Phantom's that DJI assembles - and packaging issues such as these are almost completely unheard of with Apple products - so QC is achievable. This just seems to be sloppy and would suggest to me that there is no quality control review at all in the DJI packaging facilities.

DJI clearly needs to up their game in the QC department. This is embarrassing if it is indeed as widespread as the OP makes it sound.

Interestinf. Thanks for the info. Maybe there are multiple lines but you would think they would package everything generally the same.

Thanks!

Ordered mine direct after launch and had no stickers on the CA cams.

I saw all the guys that hit the early Apple ones had them though. Weird.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Mine had some stickers on it, but not a lot. No stickers on the front facing eyes. I do remember one on the camera lens, and that weird one on the top of the gimbal. I heard if you don't take it off it interferes with the gimbal and makes it screetch. My gimbal is whisper quiet

Reactions: Phantom fool
I needed a good reason to buy an air2, so that was my solution. I use my mini 2 with my p3 and the air 2 with my P4.
Jeebus Mary and Joseph... Are you kidding me. We now have to have two iPads if we have two phantoms that is just ridiculous. I'm glad I have a shield to fall back on from my Air2. I might just about be finished with Apple.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4