Help me! At Apple store running through their inventory. This is unreal.

Reaction score
So here I am at The Groove in Hollywood which is the Beverly mega center for Apple so I decided to come here instead of Sherman Oaks and here is what happened so far.

I am making the assumption that you might know my story but the short of it is that I have 1 (my first Phantom that worked FANTASTIC but the last one had a Gimbal screech.

So I open one, and it didn't have the decal on the box or any of the cameras (CA, VPS).

Then I get another one and the Gimbal is clicking pretty loudly but I am picking my battles now so I was thinking of trying that one out. The one before it had some Panasonic generic 16 gig in it (the one that screeched). So now I'm on number 4 and it clicked just a little but I went to see what card was in it and the card was STUCK IN THE FRIGGEN bird. Nobody could get it out so that one was gone.

On to number 5 and the last one in the store. The gimbal is making a tiny drop of noise but I am fine with it.

Now I am on there last one and no decals and the DJI guy said that was weird so I'm thinking these are all refurbs and this one has a Sandisk Extreme in it.

It still won't connect with my Mini but I decided to activate this one in the store and it is currently upgrading.

If it doesn't work with my Mini should I buy a different Mini, Apple can't download to their iPads for me to check it against another Mini to troubleshoot the mini.

What should I do?

So frustrated!

I wrote that in about 80 seconds so I probably left out pertinent info.

EDIT: After update, still won't bind to iPad mini 2.

Wonder if its the iPad?

Last edited:
check with in iphone or ask them to get you an ipad or iphone to test. Don't leave the store with a non-working piece of ... you know

buy a p3p and go with android

Reactions: dirtybum and Myetkt
dang.... bought mine at apple store day they released. not an issue...
Mine, the day they were released is awesome! I didn't understand all the issues until now.

Just re-read my post and I didn't even put a fraction of the actual problems. Have to go back to the Valley to pick up my daughter and then I am going to the Beverly Center to go through their inventory.

I told Apple that I was ready to return it at the Grove and he said go try to exchange at Beverly, I'll tell them to hold the newest one for you.

I said okay, why not?

Apple is so awesome, the manager who I don't even know at the Grove told me that if I don't have a second working P4 by the end of the week, he will upgrade my mini 2 to the 9.7 pro for free because of DJI crap. Can't beat them.

great!
By the way... can someone point me what are the stickers that are missing? I might be missing all those because my phantom just says Phantom (front) and DJI (on top)...

Reactions: Myetkt
great!
By the way... can someone point me what are the stickers that are missing? I might be missing all those because my phantom just says Phantom (front) and DJI (on top)...

protective stickers (clear) over the CA lenses and on mine the camera lens too.

Reactions: Myetkt
Seems to be arbitrary with the stickers. I bought mine on March 24 and there was a sticker on the gimbal above the camera and the ones out near the motors but none over any of the sensors.

Ok...
mine did have one in the camera, I remember that one. It still has one on the very top (covering the DJI sticker) and on top of the gimbal yaw arm (bottom of the motor) which I have not remove either. But, it didn't have any stickers on the CA lenses... or in VPS either. At least it's not visible...
I got mine from DJI preordered...

Thanks for your input

It was only little white stickers on the front facing 2 little cameras. There was no stickers on the VPS sensors on the bottom cameras.

It appears that the latest batch they don't put the little stickers on, perhaps because people didn't remove them and crashed?

There should be sticker on the gimbal with an orange tab
Sticker on the DJI logo
Sticker on each arm next to the motor

and a stickers on the 2 front facing cameras (collision avoidance cameras) but these seem to not be there.

So here I am at The Groove in Hollywood which is the Beverly mega center for Apple so I decided to come here instead of Sherman Oaks and here is what happened so far.

I am making the assumption that you might know my story but the short of it is that I have 1 (my first Phantom that worked FANTASTIC but the last one had a Gimbal screech.

So I open one, and it didn't have the decal on the box or any of the cameras (CA, VPS).

Then I get another one and the Gimbal is clicking pretty loudly but I am picking my battles now so I was thinking of trying that one out. The one before it had some Panasonic generic 16 gig in it (the one that screeched). So now I'm on number 4 and it clicked just a little but I went to see what card was in it and the card was STUCK IN THE FRIGGEN bird. Nobody could get it out so that one was gone.

On to number 5 and the last one in the store. The gimbal is making a tiny drop of noise but I am fine with it.

Now I am on there last one and no decals and the DJI guy said that was weird so I'm thinking these are all refurbs and this one has a Sandisk Extreme in it.

It still won't connect with my Mini but I decided to activate this one in the store and it is currently upgrading.

If it doesn't work with my Mini should I buy a different Mini, Apple can't download to their iPads for me to check it against another Mini to troubleshoot the mini.

What should I do?

So frustrated!

I wrote that in about 80 seconds so I probably left out pertinent info.

EDIT: After update, still won't bind to iPad mini 2.

Wonder if its the iPad?

Sorry, what do you mean it won't bind? Is it perhaps the cable your using causing you the issue? have you tried a different cable?

Can you not try linking it to your phone rather than ipad 2 mini?

Have you completely deleted the DJI go app from your ipad and turned your ipad off and on and then reinstalled?

Really doesn't make sense that it wont "bind". Does it say controller not connected? or unable to activate or whats the actual issue?

It was only little white stickers on the front facing 2 little cameras. There was no stickers on the VPS sensors on the bottom cameras.

It appears that the latest batch they don't put the little stickers on, perhaps because people didn't remove them and crashed?

There should be sticker on the gimbal with an orange tab
Sticker on the DJI logo
Sticker on each arm next to the motor

and a stickers on the 2 front facing cameras (collision avoidance cameras) but these seem to not be there.

Correct, mine was preordered from DJI store... did not have any of these CA stickers

Got mine from Apple a few days after they came out and i don't seem to be having issues. Good luck tho!

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

check with in iphone or ask them to get you an ipad or iphone to test. Don't leave the store with a non-working piece of ... you know
They can only download apps to their computers and even then there is like one person with the passcodes to do it.

Nobody in the store has the Apple ID to test another iPad.

As it stands, there is a VERY BAD run of P4 running around in this wave. My first one worked and works great but I just went throug, count them, 5 different units until I found one that just got me back to the point where the Mini still won't connect but I am at a complete loss as to what that is.

The whole inventory at the Beverly Center (and we looked under the handle) to see if it had the sticker , none did.

Also not where the bats are to be held there is an extra piece of styraphom me to put on top of them but ther are zero stickers.

By the way people, the orange sticker on the gimbal is definitely NOT a sticker and should not come off. It's there for anti-static. Of course DJI, doesn't tell you this anywhere including in their "manual".

I was just done and said just return it and he said just take it home and try to figure it out with the mini, I'll check the range on the iPhone.

I'm thinking there is a setting in my account or something because it's doing it with several different birds.

Anyway, before I could get back to square one where the mini doesn't work but the iPhone does, I had to go through an unreal amount of P4s. I could elaborate on the OP but the fact is one screeched so loud people in a loud Apple Store turned their heads. And then one had a stuck card in it. NONE had the Lexar but the lesser rated Sandisk Extreme and one with an unnamed Panasonic. It's truly unreal.

The dude that helped me so much begged me to go try and after all his help I couldn't say no but until someone tells me why the Mini won't work with it, I'm just gonna let it sit in the box until I either return it or go get a new iPad (they said I could exchange it for the pro 9.7).

My theory is these are returbs because they are GETTING A LOT of returns but the other side of the coin is that the P4 is BY FAR DJI's most commercially successful UAS.

Odd that it could also be their undoing as the person that buys the one with the screech, if they don't know, they fly it for a month or so and it will lock up.

The one I currently have had a major horizon issue before my calibs but that fixed it all.

Now I want to not look at a UAS until my next "have to". I have zero faith in this right now. Again, expect problems with early adoption but this is just nutty.

buy a p3p and go with android
I have a p3p and am not a fan of android and live in a very large Apple Eco system. I don't mind Android but I have no need for it. I don't think this is an apple issue and I wanted the pro anyway, I like the pressure sensitivity (2056 levels of pressure) and the a9x and m9x blows away (power wise) anything on the tab market I think.

Seems to be arbitrary with the stickers. I bought mine on March 24 and there was a sticker on the gimbal above the camera and the ones out near the motors but none over any of the sensors.

Same here, got mine from DJI yesterday, the version that has marks on the skids to help with attaching the gimbal clamp

great!
There are stickers on the case (or were) and on all the cams, the CA, VPS and now there seems not to be. Either they are packaging differently or they are refurbs and this is how they pack returbs. They should not sell refurbs as new though.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers