Grounded on Day 2. Camera Fail?

Useful data about what? Your problem is that you're attempting to install the firmware incorrectly.

About why the CAMERA/GIMBAL isn't functioning.

Refreshing the firmware was a last ditch effort at trying to solve the original problem.

You won't find your answer there. My last ditch effort would be to upgrade to the latest firmware.

You won't find your answer there. My last ditch effort would be to upgrade to the latest firmware.
So what would upgrading to the latest do when the camera had worked with 1.4.10 and now does not?

Honestly, I think its hardware. But I am trying everything to get it to work before I have to ship it off or it becomes a range target.

I was trying not to go to later firmware because of the issues involved with them. At least what I read. I wasn't positive I could revert back if I ever went forward.

So what would upgrading to the latest do when the camera had worked with 1.4.10 and now does not?
It would rule out the idea that the issue is being caused by something in the 1.4 firmware.

I wasn't positive I could revert back if I ever went forward.
You cannot revert back to 1.4 if you install 1.6.

It would rule out the idea that the issue is being caused by something in the 1.4 firmware..

I am not follwing your logic here. Why do you think that 1.4.10 won't operate the camera? It did when the bird arrived on Tuesday. On Wednesday it didn't. I have NEVER done a FW install on this until last night when I was trying desperately to get it to function when it ceased to do so for no apparent reason.

You cannot revert back to 1.4 if you install 1.6.
The exact reason I have not done so.

Why do you think that 1.4.10 won't operate the camera?
I don't believe that. I can tell you that no firmware release is perfect though. Some are less perfect than others. And, it's not uncommon for DJI (or any other software company) to not divulge a complete list of fixed bugs. There is often little or no advantage to mentioning bugs that don't affect many people.

I would not destroy a 2 days old drone. There must be a solution to the problem.
If all fails, fly it for fun and practice or get a GOPRO on it.

I would not destroy a 2 days old drone. There must be a solution to the problem.
If all fails, fly it for fun and practice or get a GOPRO on it.

Normally, no. But given the reputation of DJI dodging the repairs and lack of customer service and typically finding some bogus or near bogus excuse to charge the customer, I have a low confidence they will deal with this in a reasonable time and under warranty. Its not gonna get a range day until spring at least. As I said, I sent emails and contact forms to DJI. Lets now see how long it takes them to make first response. I sent emails to both china and their us service address as well as the web form. So they can't say I didn't try sufficiently hard to begin the process.

Did you buy it from DJI direct? If from a local store or even from internet, see if you can exchange it. I got mine from Apple store and when I opened it looked as it was refurbished. Took it back the next day and had it exchanged.
Best Buy, Apple, B&H, Adorama are all good places to buy from and have very good exchange policy.
If all fails and no support from DJI see if any local DJI support sellers would honor the warranty since you have the receipt to prove day of purchase.
I all and all fails, take it apart, check all cables and connections, make some mods to improve the range, maybe replace the camera. Somebody here should be able to jump in and help.

Made the mistake of buying direct from DJI. Won't make that mistake ever again.

I could take it apart, not afraid of that. Not doing that until DJI says what they will or won't do. But, if its not something simple like a loose cable or something, I am not buying another camera to replace one that should still be working. Its only had 3 flights. I got video of all three and every landing was soft and gentile (almost like I knew how to fly it). Its never been crashed or jarred. I never even attempted any FW changes until the camera went TU.

Honestly, I think its hardware. But I am trying everything to get it to work before I have to ship it off or it becomes a range target.

I was trying not to go to later firmware because of the issues involved with them. At least what I read. I wasn't positive I could revert back if I ever went forward.

see if this makes sense:

your camera /quad is not operational as it sits with FW xyz
many suggest that updating everthing and reinstall app has good chance to fix--you argue
you WILL NOT update FW because you have read it may cause issues and can not return to FW you are NOW having issues with!

in summary
the one thing you will not do, is the one thing many say may fix it. and the reason you will not try is it may mess up your quad???
so what is it wont go back if it is BROKE.

Wow!

I would update ALL software and apps. If you send it to DJI for fix, are you sure that they will NOT update the software on the drone?. At this point is nothing to loose. I have a P3P myself and a P3A from work, both up to date in all software and apps. We bang the crap of them and no problems so far.

I would update ALL software and apps. If you send it to DJI for fix, are you sure that they will NOT update the software on the drone?. At this point is nothing to loose. I have a P3P myself and a P3A from work, both up to date in all software and apps. We bang the crap of them and no problems so far.

No, I have no control over what DJI does with it if they have me send it back. And I agree which is why I did try 1.6 (see above). It won't do any FW update.

see if this makes sense:

your camera /quad is not operational as it sits with FW xyz
many suggest that updating everthing and reinstall app has good chance to fix--you argue
you WILL NOT update FW because you have read it may cause issues and can not return to FW you are NOW having issues with!

in summary
the one thing you will not do, is the one thing many say may fix it. and the reason you will not try is it may mess up your quad???
so what is it wont go back if it is BROKE.

Wow!

I do not really believe the FW is the problem. It was suggested to reload it in case it is. I can't.
It won't.

To satisfy yall. Against my better judgement, I just put 1.6 on the card. Fired it up with the reset button held in. Released when I heard the beep-beep. And....nothing. Cam goes limp. Continues beep-beep. It never begins the rapid beep-beep-beep indicating loading firmware.

So, the FW update/reload/rollback is now off the table as a possible fix. Its somehow loosing contact with the camera. And if it can't connect to the camera, it can't see the SD card.

I did manage to get GO to run long enough to get to the menu to try a gimbal cal. App said it was doing it. Gimbal sat like a limp noodle and never even twitched.

I am afraid at this point its either a mechanical failure or an electronic one. Neither of which I can fix.

One note, while the USB is plugged into the camera board, I get a drive letter in windows when it powers up but after maybe 5-10 seconds it disappears again. So I believe the subboard is either failing or shutting down due to an external signal or loss of signal.

And to answer and confirm the other question, yes, it looks like it would fly. I can CSC. Motors spin up and react to the throttle (no props). I get what appears to be consistant and likely accurate positioning data on the app confirming GPS as well as RC/P3 communication is all functioning.

So, it appears that this is a camera/gimbal issue. Either the hardware on the mainboard that talks to the camera is toast, the cables are toast, or the camera sub-board is toast. Maybe any or all.

I removed and re-inserted all the white/gray wire cables leading into the P3. I broke down and slipped out the ribbon cables from the connections on the camera and gimbal and reinserted those after wiping them with denatured alcohol. Nothing made any difference.

Even though the camera is limp and non-functional, the GO app reports "Normal" in the craft info screen. Which is BS because it aint.

So unless yall have any other ideas on this. I think its game over.

Why are you holding the reset button in to install 1.6?

At this point I would leave it alone, no reason to do something bad and give DJI cause to blame it on you. Hope DJI will respond and will fix the problem.

Why are you holding the reset button in to install 1.6?
Since you are approved vendor and fix drones, would it possible to get approval from DJI to fix the drone?

Reactions: Wolfiesden

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj