Greetings from San Antonio

I did a couple of spur of the moment flights at Bamburger Nature Park tonight:
SkyTubeLive Flight
SkyTubeLive Flight
Very short, just playing around a bit. Our app can now attach an audio track to a live stream as it is being broadcast, so check out the music, ha ha.

Hey guys.. been a while. Here's the latest flight.. had a blast..lol
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I'm going to be in San Antonio shortly for my military squadron reunion. Plan to take a couple of drones with me. If I understand correctly one is not allowed to fly in Hemisfair Park as the web has conflicting information. I guess I will contact the park and see what they say but it isn't stated in the park rules. Thanks

I'm going to be in San Antonio shortly for my military squadron reunion. Plan to take a couple of drones with me. If I understand correctly one is not allowed to fly in Hemisfair Park as the web has conflicting information. I guess I will contact the park and see what they say but it isn't stated in the park rules. Thanks
When I was there in early June, I asked a couple of cops in the park if I could do a quick flight, and was told in no uncertain terms that "you can't fly that near the tower" in a tone that immediately made it clear I couldn't try to argue that I would fly in the most distant corner of the park, just for a few minutes. It's always possible you could find a friendlier cop, but I wouldn't count on it.

Hey Shorttimer! You are correct, technically you can fly from Hemisfair park. I've flown at less populated parks to stay under radar downtown. Hemisfair park is a very popular park and if it's crowded you won't find any place to fly that your not above someone. There's two sides to a coin so I'm not trying to discourage you in any way. We have a local Drone Facebook page and plenty of downtown footage @ Kinakailangan ang Pagtiyak sa Seguridad. If you join and post that your going to be in town and when, one or multiple of us might meet up with you to fly as we have group meet ups all the time and are meeting up this saturday. Safe Travels and welcome to SA when you get here!

Also, when I was there in June I met up with a bunch of local pilots met via this message board. You should seek them out, but since you've posted here they'll probably be in touch...

Thanks Brian and Pinnacle. Yea, I don't fly over people, guess I'm old school. I was just wanting to maybe get some footage. A long time ago, back in the dark ages, I was a support engineer for a little company called Datapoint and lived in San Antonio for about a year. I'm on FB so will jump over there and sign up. Thanks guys.

Reactions: Badgenes
Yea, I don't fly over people, guess I'm old school.
Same here. I was at the park at about 7am, when it was totally empty, in a suit, with my convention badge, hoping if I went up to the cops and introduced myself they'd see I was absolutely zero threat to anything, but no dice. And they weren't particularly friendly, I have to say. So I'd say go ahead and give it a shot, but don't bet on it.

Thanks Brian and Pinnacle. Yea, I don't fly over people, guess I'm old school. I was just wanting to maybe get some footage. A long time ago, back in the dark ages, I was a support engineer for a little company called Datapoint and lived in San Antonio for about a year. I'm on FB so will jump over there and sign up. Thanks guys.

Wonder if you ever ran into my father in law, Mike McDonald? just curious, another Datapoint support engineer in SA...

Anyone know any "safe" places to fly in 78209? I recently moved and spent the last 6 weeks RMAing my RC (not charging issue) and now have a fully charged working remote...but no longer live on NW side of SA. Olmos Park? Anywhere?

Thanks,
badgenes

If this is not ok to Post please remove. I'm only posting here as it's San Antonio specific

FUNDRAISER START!!
San Antonio Drones stickers and T-Shirts now available for sale. All proceeds for this fundraiser will be used to support S.A.D. at the airshow on the 1st weekend of November. Theres a few ways to purchase merch,
1. print out the attached form, then fill it out and email or text it to Daren Manson, Rens Victoria or Chris Fisher. (PM for that info if you don't have it). You will receive items once payment is received.
2. Buy through PayPal. (probably fasted way) and instructions below along with hyperlink to purchase.
Using PayPal

If you haven’t used PayPal or don’t use it very often, it’s quick and easy to do. Just follow these few simple steps.

- Click on this link

https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/mpp/send-money-online

- select Log in or Sign up
- select “Send to Friends and Family in the US”
- enter this phone number
o 737-444-1414
- Select the dollar amount that sending then add a Note before you hit continue
- Info needed in the Note section, 2 options
o 1. If you did not fill out a Fundraiser form you Enter your name, phone number and exactly what item you are wanting to receive. Please be detailed with size and color
o 2. If you filled out a fundraiser form and gave it to Daren, Rens or Chris, just simple put your name and phone number or email address here to confirm that this is your payment.
- Please note - If you do not provide your name and contact info, the money you send will be seen as a donation and not for the fundraiser .

Turn around time on receiving purchased items is about 1 week or so.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-09-15 at 8.01.03 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-09-15 at 8.01.03 AM.png
    275.1 KB · Views: 394
Hey BadGenes- Is your father in law a State Farm agent in SA?
LOL no but funny you ask. I saw that post on SA Drones and sent my father-in-law a screenshot. He is a white retiree in his 60s LOL. I asked him if he had something to tell my wife and I...

Is the San Antonio Drones group still meeting up? If so when and where?

Yes, we typically meet weekly on Saturday and Sunday’s but since it’s Xmas weekend there’s no real official meetup this weekend. We will be meeting at hero’s stadium next weekend. You have Facebook? We have a page called San Antonio Drones, and folks also post on there for random meetups too, request to join and I’ll approve you as soon as I see the request

Hi!
I'm new to the city and I would like to know if flying downtown is legal and allowed. I would love to get some footage of The Alamo, the Riverwalk, or some other cool spots, but I´m always afraid of doing something illegal...

Thanks guys!

Welcome to SA! I've never ran into problems downtown but don't get close to the crowds and especially the Alamo since it is a bit sacred. The majority of the Riverwalk is covered in trees so it may be tricky. I've flown high to get the buildings and such.

Hi!
I'm new to the city and I would like to know if flying downtown is legal and allowed. I would love to get some footage of The Alamo, the Riverwalk, or some other cool spots, but I´m always afraid of doing something illegal...

Thanks guys!

Welcome to SA!! The Alamo is off limits as its a State/National monument and is illegal to fly. as for the Riverwalk AeroToby is correct in that it will be very hard to film due to trees and depending on when you try to fly, it's always densely populated, especially on the weekends. Another note is alway check the FAA site as Downtown is placed on TFR's (Temporary Flight Restrictions) often due to events at the alamo dome. Other than that, there's quite a few parks you could take off from to get the great building/pano shots. Are you in SA for a while? There's a FB page called San Antonio Drones that has weekly meet ups in and around SA as well as a list of places to fly around SA.

Security Check Required

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic