Gimbal malfunctioning after minor crash, video still working

Lol, I agree that not everyone has the patience, perseverance or determination that I do!
I've got the perseverance and determination but preservation and determination and a nickel without talent will get you five cents.

Have no mistake about it; it takes loads of talent to do that. I suppose I could learn and have been trying by replacing my gear motors and stuff in my toy drones and some battery mods to that kind of stuff but I would feel like a wreck and go crazy and probably break everything doing what you did regardless of how determined I was.

Ya never know though so thanks for sharing. :)

Ha!

Hey no problem. I admit there were a couple of times when I nearly felt like hurling the whole drone across the room! But I think you aren't giving yourself enough credit. You'd be surprised what you can achieve when you put your mind to it.

Reactions: Jussaguy
Hey no problem. I admit there were a couple of times when I nearly felt like hurling the whole drone across the room! But I think you aren't giving yourself enough credit. You'd be surprised what you can achieve when you put your mind to it.
Well said! Love it and agree about putting your mind to something.

The fact is however, some people are just better at one thing while another person is good at something else but your attitude is great!

Uh-oh. I had a similar crash. Now I need to know what to do reconnect the camera to the gimble? Assuming the camera still functions, how should I go about getting it mounted back up?

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 429
Last edited:
AGreenway, I'm very impressed with your perserverance and patience. I just crashed my Phantom 4 on day 2 and broke one of the landing gears and the gimbal still records video and takes still pics but I can't move it at all. It's completely limp and I can move it by hand every which way but I have no control over it with the remote. Any advice?

Uh-oh. I had a similar crash. Now I need to know what to do reconnect the camera to the gimble? Assuming the camera still functions, how should I go about getting it mounted back up?
So sorry to see this. Also sorry that I have not replied until now (I honestly didn't see the post until today). I hope you have worked it out, but the advice I would have offered was to get the camera ribbon cable replaced.

AGreenway, I'm very impressed with your perserverance and patience. I just crashed my Phantom 4 on day 2 and broke one of the landing gears and the gimbal still records video and takes still pics but I can't move it at all. It's completely limp and I can move it by hand every which way but I have no control over it with the remote. Any advice?
Sounds very much like the camera ribbon cable and landing gear need to be completely replaced. You can order both parts online. Installing the new landing gear is not too difficult, although removing the screw that secures it to the body is rather awkward. Replacing the ribbon cable is a rather in-depth and very time-consuming operation that requires patience, and taking lots of photos along the way as you dismantle it so that you remember where all the screws and parts go when you reassemble. It's not super hard though, and I had no experience doing it at all when I replaced my cable. Good luck.

Edit: I probably took several hours to replace the ribbon cable. As for the landing gear, that took another few hours, as I had to replace the compass too, which meant taking apart the entire drone body to get to the cable connection inside.

Sounds very much like the camera ribbon cable and landing gear need to be completely replaced. You can order both parts online. Installing the new landing gear is not too difficult, although removing the screw that secures it to the body is rather awkward. Replacing the ribbon cable is a rather in-depth and very time-consuming operation that requires patience, and taking lots of photos along the way as you dismantle it so that you remember where all the screws and parts go when you reassemble. It's not super hard though, and I had no experience doing it at all when I replaced my cable. Good luck.

Edit: I probably took several hours to replace the ribbon cable. As for the landing gear, that took another few hours, as I had to replace the compass too, which meant taking apart the entire drone body to get to the cable connection inside.

After crashing several P2's, and do it yourself repairs, i became very familiar with the workings of the machine, and how to deal with certain problems. What you did may have been a little more hassle than sending in, but you now have that experience and knowledge of the inner workings of your drone and will have more confidence if another repair is needed. I like taking them apart, P4 seems a little less serviceable than the P2, but I would always try fixing myself first.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

After crashing several P2's, and do it yourself repairs, i became very familiar with the workings of the machine, and how to deal with certain problems. What you did may have been a little more hassle than sending in, but you now have that experience and knowledge of the inner workings of your drone and will have more confidence if another repair is needed. I like taking them apart, P4 seems a little less serviceable than the P2, but I would always try fixing myself first.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots
I agree. This is the main reason I decided to service it myself. It is inevitable that drones will crash, and I will now be in a MUCH better position to do my own repairs most of the time, saving me money and also preventing me having to wait days or weeks for a professional to fix it for me. Regarding the P4, as far as I could tell during my couple of disassemblies, it seems like it is still a fairly serviceable drone.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic