Gimbal Dance Problem

010e248e701da8bc1c00dfea0c595529.jpg
Would tightening this fix my problem? If so, what tool do I use? It's tiny

Youre onto something there hopefully. The set screw for the gimbal yaw arm can come loose over time or with hard landings. You will notice if you look at the motor arm that set screw attaches to, it is "D" shaped. Make sure the set screw is mating with the flat surface of the "D" and that it is secure. If its not lined up, adjust very gently (i used a scribe) until desired position is acheived. Also dont set the yaw arm too high or low when you tighten. Make sure it doesnt drag anything on either side.

My P3P did something similar and after tightening the screw, all better.

Make sure the camera isn't brushing up against the ribbon cable. Sometimes the ribbon moves out of position even slightly and the camera will hit it and could cause a dance like that.

Definitely not a cap issue.

What could be wrong:
- Flat cable loose
- Flat cable slightly damaged / with faulty connection
- One of the arm boards damaged
- One of the motors does not have proper orientation to the potentiometer in arm board

What I would do:
- Remove flat cable from each socket, clean the contacts on both sides (with alcohol, ie. IPA) and re-connect
- Make sure each of potentiometers behind black plastic is at center when you hold the gimbal in normal position (cut corner of the metal bar is straight towards rounded part of the black plastic)
- Make sure the metal bar with cut corner cannot move independently of the gimbal position (for the yaw arm, independent movement can be fixed by tightening the screw; for other arms I think only glue will help)

If any of these wouldn't help, I'd try to replace each arm board, or disassemble everything and do a proper electric testing; but that requires equipment and skill.

The biggest issue is that you can't know for sure which arm is making issues. The gimbal seem to react like that if any of the arms is faulty. You have to do the actions for each of them.
It would be nice to have a method of identifying the faulty arm. Maybe anyone has an idea on how this can be done?

Last edited:
What tool can I use to tighten the little black screw. I have an Alan key set but I don't have "mini" ones... I'm clueless

Last edited:
What tool can I use to tighten the little black screw. I have an Alan key set but I don't have "mini" ones... I'm clueless
You can use either key of pentagonal shape or the star shape. Sorry, I can never remember official names of these. The size is T6.

5fa2b3f8cc8526058b02d0a5ec27d5ef.jpg
i believe this is the faulty arm. It's limp but it is not level. When I turn the aircraft on, its straight though :/

Just tried tightening the black screw with a t6 star shaped tool. It didn't work, it won't budge.

I sjould not have used the word spot. The shaft has a flat area and the set screw has to be on it.
It probably us anyway. If it was not it would be loose

I took my Phantom 3 Pro out yesterday, like any usual day. I prepped it and what not, and when i turned it on it did a weird dance as you'll see in the video. I flew out and did a rotation (yaw) a bit quickly, and the gimbal tried to follow it, repositioned with the drone, and went crooked i guess. This is the first time something like this happened. I take very good care of my Phantom and replacing the gimbal is not an option for me. After the lights go on, the gimbal is dandy and is perfectly normal. My Drone and the RC are both on the latest firmware...

Here is a video of my bird doing the dance but there is no audio. It doesn't make any sounds or what not, it's just because there was construction outside my house and it was inaudible.

P3>Phantom 3 Help>
Standard Phantom 3 gimbal crazy

Watch Thread

1. Naseer40
    NewHi

I got phantom 3 standard gimbal has gone crazy everything lined up still doing the same any suggestions

Thank you

Attached Files:

• a" style="margin: 0px; padding: 10px 10px 0px; overflow: hidden; zoom: 1; border-radius: 5px; background: none center top repeat-x rgb(250, 250, 250);">

• 15019592131751085326533.jpg
      File size:
      3.1 MB
      Views:
    #118 minutes ago
    Like Reply

2. Dronut2
    New

Hi

I got phantom 3 standard gimbal has gone crazy everything lined up still doing the same any suggestions

Thank you
    Gimble pitch and roll board potentiometer is broken. Open the camera tombstone shaped side with the 5 screws. Push in the little black tabs to release the ribbon connectors and replace the board with a new one. Worked for me. Boards are 25 to 30 USD on eBay. Look on eBay for pictures. Youtube can show you camera breakdown. Very easy to fix.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl