Follow Me not following at all!

Reaction score
Hi everyone, hoping someone can clear this up for me please.

Some info: Fully updated P3P, batteries updated and charged, remote up to date also. Nexus 7 2013 (II) Marshmallow 6.0.1

DJI GO app V2.6.1 (202)

12+ satellites found. I've been sending the Phantom up over 10 metres, switching to F Mode, then touching through the Follow Me options. Hit Apply and everything seems to be working/happy as far as what the screen is telling me.

No error messages.

I walk off, drone does not move. Not one little bit!

I can confirm that GPS has been enabled on the tablet. Even the on-screen arrow (representing the Phantom) is updating in reference to where I move. But the Phantom won't do the same.

Thank you for you time.

Last edited:
How far away from you is the quad? If you're trying from directly overhead, I suggest you move maybe 15m away and give it another go.

Reactions: Tony Cowan
Hi everyone, hoping someone can clear this up for me please.

Some info: Fully updated P3P, batteries updated and charged, remote up to date also. Nexus 7 2013 (II) Marshmallow 6.0.1

I've been sending the Phantom up over 10 metres, switching to F Mode, then touching through the Follow Me options. Hit Apply and everything seems to be working/happy as far as what the screen is telling me.

No error messages.

I walk off, drone does not move. Not one little bit!

I can confirm that GPS has been enabled on the tablet. Even the on-screen arrow (representing the Phantom) is updating in reference to where I move. But the Phantom won't do the same.

Thank you for you time.
How far away from you is the quad? If you're trying from directly overhead, I suggest you move maybe 15m away and give it another go.
Thanks for the reply. Tried at 10, 20 and 30 metres away. Is this normal? I gave up after those 3 attempts!

Does your tablet have a data plan or is it wifi only?

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Correct, your tablet needs gps for this to work, or you can use a remote gps unit and connect via Bluetooth ( as I do). I use a Garmin Glonas which works very well, but there are others out there if you search in the forums. Good luck

Reactions: Mcj321
Like Pete said, GPS required. Data plan tho' is not required. Just GPS in the tablet. I use an iPad Mini 2 cellular version but no data plan.

Cheers

Correct, your tablet needs gps for this to work, or you can use a remote gps unit and connect via Bluetooth ( as I do). I use a Garmin Glonas which works very well, but there are others out there if you search in the forums. Good luck
The Nexus 7 2013 (II) has GPS.

Yes wifi models do have a weak gps, but not accurate enough. Cell phones and tablets that have a data plans are needed for the exact gps for your drone to follow. Just look at a map sometime on your tablet in wifi only, the radius can be off by miles. Would you trust follow me if your tablet can be miles off?

Reactions: Mcj321
Like Pete said, GPS required. Data plan tho' is not required. Just GPS in the tablet. I use an iPad Mini 2 cellular version but no data plan.

Cheers
The gps in wifi is different than the gps with cellular capabilities. You might not subscribe to a data plan, but the gps in your iPad is better than the wifi model. Have you actually used the follow me features on your iPad without the data plan? I have a wifi iPad 2 mini and I use it to fly, but never for follow me.

Last edited:
The confusion here seems to be iOS devices vs. Android devices. WiFi only devices from Apple DO NOT contain a GPS module, they use nearby Wifi access points to estimate location (you don't need to connect to or be connected to a Wifi access point to get location information from it). That is why it can, and probably will be inaccurate. Cellular enabled iPad Devices (and of course all iPhones) have a GPS module, and use that for location.

Most WiFi-only Android devices have a GPS module, such as the Nexus 7, Nexus 9, Galaxy Tabs, etc...

There seem to be some misconception and confusion in this topic ... there is no "wifi gps" for starters, wifi is wifi, cell is cell, and GPS is GPS ... there is not such thing as "gps in wifi".

Not sure about Nexus tablets but for Apple devices there are two types: wifi only and wifi+cell.

Wifi only devices do not have GPS receiver and cannot provide true GPS coordinates to the apps. It can provide approximate location based on triangulation of closest hot spots but it is not even close to GPS accuracy and generally a crapshoot.

Wifi+cell devices have a GPS reciver built in, and it happens to be part of a cell chipset ... you want GPS, you need to get wifi+cell version because it is how the hardware is designed. You do not need a cell service or even sim, you only need GPS receiver/chip to get true GPS service and coordinates.

12+ satellites found.

Who did find those 12+ sattelites? Drone or tablet?

In order for the "follow me" to work, you need to have good GPS signal on YOU (via your tablet/phone) to identify YOUR location to the DJI app/controller/drone. This means, your tablet or phone needs to have true GPS chip and good GPS signal ... that's all.

Last edited:
The gps in wifi is different than the gps with cellular capabilities. You might not subscribe to a data plan, but the gps in your iPad is better than the wifi model. Have you actually used the follow me features on your iPad without the data plan? I have a wifi iPad 2 mini and I use it to fly, but never for follow me.

I have not. But I purchased several apps and will be going through all of them this weekend (finally some decent weather).

Cheers

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31