Flying from inside house or car anyone?

Check out this video

I later changed it to have the antennas point down.
Well dirt, I can see why it cuts thru trees like a chainsaw. Very interesting video. So what made you end up turning them down? And, did it help? This mod looks a little complicated, but I do believe I could do it. You done well explaining, but you sound different than I imagined..lol I was hearing this gritty voice with the name dirt. Guess that came from the crash vids throwing a little dirt. [emoji16]
Enjoyed it, thanks.
They're working me long hours right now. Maybe the extra can land me another mod! [emoji6]

Sent from my XT1585 using PhantomPilots mobile app

Last edited:
So what made you end up turning them down?

I'm a dirtbike rider at heart. Been playing on them in the dirt for 45 years but as you can imagine, I'm slowing down. Can't ride it like I used to but I can fly it!

At the extremes of my range I was loosing signal when I turned the drone. Pointing them down seems to have eliminated that. It was just trial and error until I hit on the most reliable signal.

The job wasn't really all that bad. It took some time to be sure but that's because I was super careful. It's not something you would want to start at the kitchen table after work thinking you'll be done in time to eat. I do think anyone with a half decent mechanical skill and the right tools could do it. Good drone shops charge around $250 for the install so even seasoned people don't do it real fast. The biggest drawback is simply that mistakes cost money. No mistakes=no problems and it was a fun little project.

Reactions: JohnnyB
This is what I ended up with

upload_2016-11-21_21-9-35.png

By the way, "I think" at 5:50, when you crest the top of the hill and turned left, stood a deer in the grass facing you wondering what the heck was that? If that wasn't it, it missed a good chance.

Ding Ding Ding! you found it! I wish I'd seen it while I was there so I could get more footage of it. It's always neat. I've gotten close enough to see them blink before.
I'm true to my word too. PM your paypal info and I'll send you a buck!

Reactions: JohnnyB
Ding Ding Ding! you found it! I wish I'd seen it while I was there so I could get more footage of it. It's always neat. I've gotten close enough to see them blink before.
I'm true to my word too. PM your paypal info and I'll send you a buck!
Haha.. leave the buck in the grass, he's hungry!

This is what I ended up with

View attachment 69182
I like this better than other pics I've seen where they drilled holes and they stuck down near the camera. Seems the bit of extra distance apart would help too. I like it.
I used to ride too. 4 of us buddies all had bikes that matched our birth year which was pretty cool. Hard riding but cool. Mine was a 71 Suzuki 250 TS turned trail only. Gave $60 for it.. the jug was in a sack.. lol

I wanted to say too that it seemed to have insane coverage for as much land as you covered. Almost seemed impossible sometimes when I would realize where you were at. I have a decent sense if direction and pretty well kept up where you where from were you took off and still, seemed like there would be ground in a couple spots between you and the bird, towards the end especially before you crossed the pond. Pretty impressive.

Last edited:
Thru together some FPV practice from last week from my home station.
Hopefully i can fly today.. No Wind :) But Cold...

Enjoy, hope ya like rock..

Reactions: JohnnyB and IBV

Really making me want to fly turbo! Couple little tense moments close to the limbs. Nice
Edit: wife just text.. my amps came in! [emoji2]

Last edited:
Amps = :)
Cold = Props break easy :eek:

Git the amps today. Just got home and opened the boxes, all looks good.
I've seen the pics that were posted here and really didn't see how the cables were hooked from the antenna to the amp. So my question, does one antenna hook to TX input, and the other the RX input? I looked online for answers but no luck.

Did you get the Rf linx DC injected set? If so, and you got 2 sets, antenna>short cable>lightning arrestor>amp terminal that says antenna>long cable down>DC injector>short thin cable>RC. Both will be exactor the same. And of course hook the power supply to the injector.
upload_2016-11-22_20-18-21.png

upload_2016-11-22_20-19-10.png

Did you get the Rf linx DC injected set? If so, and you got 2 sets, antenna>short cable>lightning arrestor>amp terminal that says antenna>long cable down>DC injector>short thin cable>RC. Both will be exactor the same. And of course hook the power supply to the injector.
View attachment 69219
View attachment 69220
Yep, that's what I have and thanks for the reply. I should've looked a little closer. Pretty self-explanatory.

Makes it sooo tempting to call off work tomorrow! :). But I'll go.
Happy Thanksgiving to all you guys! Thanks so much for answering questions that were... Obviously obvious. *Duh'ing myself*

6 weeks... Dang!

Hey Turb, (or anyone else) now you get to get asked stupid questions. I know this was probably done from your house and assume you plugged your injectors into a wall outlet, but when you were in your car, what did you use exactly to power them? What did you plug into? I guess where it came with an AC plug, it's not so obvious to me.

Hey Turb, (or anyone else) now you get to get asked stupid questions. I know this was probably done from your house and assume you plugged your injectors into a wall outlet, but when you were in your car, what did you use exactly to power them? What did you plug into? I guess where it came with an AC plug, it's not so obvious to me.

I use a DC-DC converter for the car, but I started with this - https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B010...i=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=rexuav+battery

Even has a dual plug so you can power both off of one. Always lasted me all day no matter how much I flew.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: IBV and JohnnyB

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tpren3