Flying from inside house or car anyone?

Yeah I think I had $127 each in mine. After seeing the new price, my debit jumped out of my wallet on its own. Those are the last pieces I'm waiting on. Just looked, supposed to be here Tue. *Twiddling thumbs*

Sent from my XT1585 using PhantomPilots mobile app

Last edited:
Thank you for all the links and especially for the pictures. Totally put everything in perspective of what needs to be done. Now just need to stumble across another one of those amps. They seem to sell as fast as they list.

Thank you for all the links and especially for the pictures. Totally put everything in perspective of what needs to be done. Now just need to stumble across another one of those amps. They seem to sell as fast as they list.
Funny thing is, when I bought those two, (same seller) it showed only two available. I bought and yet another is available. [emoji15] I'm pretty certain you'll find another one.

As IBV and Turbo have been telling me, these have additional tools that others don't have.. bandpass filters, etc.. They're worth it. It's $10 cheaper than what I got mine for, I'd jump on it. Next set may be higher.

Just adding this for any newbies that's building this setup on their house, and really don't remember anyone mentioning this.... DON'T FORGET A GOOD GROUND WIRE when ordering your cables! Last thing you need is "deep frying your birds" (RC) near the Thanksgiving holiday!!!! :) Or worse, your house!!! I know you won't fly in a storm, but........ Happy Holidays guys!

Last edited:
Reactions: hotashes
Just adding this for any newbies that's building this setup on their house, and really don't remember anyone mentioning this.... DON'T FORGET A GOOD GROUND WIRE when ordering your cables! Last thing you need is "deep frying your birds" (RC) near the Thanksgiving holiday!!!! :) Or worse, your house!!! I know you won't fly in a storm, but........ Happy Holidays guys!

Never thought about it.. Thanks !! Do i just ground the 2X4's ?? :p
Seriously, Now that that it's time to make my Antenna Monster permanent this sounds important.
What would be the proper way to ground this RF-Linx Set Up ?
Ground rod, like home electric ? What wire ?

Thanks again !!!

Turbo

Reactions: 8154
Glad i could be part of the group that helped Bear !! I'm just ahead of you. Everyone has been great helping me. I'm no expert but want to pay forward the help.
If i get to far off on my info, IBV will step in and straighten $hit back out.. :) A good group in this Forum !!
The only thing i ask is don't be afraid to ask again on anything and post lots of cool pics and video's and Be Safe.

Reactions: Bear501 and JohnnyB
Never thought about it.. Thanks !! Do i just ground the 2X4's ?? :p
HaHa, them being low loss 2 X 4's, I wouldn't think so. :)
Now that that it's time to make my Antenna Monster permanent this sounds important.
What would be the proper way to ground this RF-Linx Set Up ?
Ground rod, like home electric ? What wire ?
It's definitely worth a research even though these setups are not going to be like the big huge tv antenna setups. I myself would treat them the same if I were to put one on my roof. Common sense speaks on this subject. I have had regular tv antennas on my home and have always grounded them separate from the house ground. I've read that you can tie the grounds in at the breaker box, but it was a lot less trouble for me to just put in a separate ground rod.

Instead of making a big long post on why I would ground "any" antenna put on my roof, you can start to read about it here.
Should shed some light. If I had more time I would search deals on material and post.

Another reason to ground can be found here.

I will never claim to be an expert on anything. Just a country boy with common sense. Not much to this. A U-bolt style clamp, some #8 aluminum or copper wire, and a ground rod. That's about it.

Edit: On a side note, I was just reading about how grounding the antenna helps to get rid of electrical noise such as "static", leaving a cleaner signal flow.. I'm going to read more into this. May be something to help clean up the signal on a car setup also. If someone just so happens to be expert on this, by all means. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: 8154 and IBV
Funny thing is, when I bought those two, (same seller) it showed only two available. I bought and yet another is available. [emoji15] I'm pretty certain you'll find another one.

As IBV and Turbo have been telling me, these have additional tools that others don't have.. bandpass filters, etc.. They're worth it. It's $10 cheaper than what I got mine for, I'd jump on it. Next set may be higher.

Bandpass filters is normal but their quality is good. Noise levels are low and the USB programming including Tx measurement is quite unique. The L-com amps with similar specs xostin more than 600 each!...

Bandpass filters is normal but their quality is good. Noise levels are low and the USB programming including Tx measurement is quite unique. The L-com amps with similar specs xostin more than 600 each!...
Yes, thanks for the help. U knew.. lol
See Turbo, Your $h*t ain't all he straightens.. :) Everyone needs an IBV! Lol

Rf Linx makes lightning surge protectors.
Lightning Arrestors: RF Linx: Wireless LAN Amplifiers, Antennas, and Accessories: RF Linx

To my understanding of an earlier read, surge protectors does not protect against direct strikes which is where a direct connect ground wire comes in, but do protect from energy created from nearby strikes. So the dilemma is..(or the con) another fitting in the signal path. The pro being protection against a strike or nearby strike.

Just conversation. I mean I would consider it myself just because of the money I have tied up in this stuff but others may think it's unnecessary. I mean we don't fly in a thunderstorm, but the equipment is still on the roof and cables coming through the house when were not flying. Thoughts?

Found everything I need for my rooftop project. Just need one more rf linx amp and then ready to turn it over to my brother in law to build and put up the roof mast. Trying to build it out of PVC so no need to worry about grounding it. He is a master electrician so once it is all up and done if it needs a grounding wire he will take care of it. He is really **** about stuff like that. Because I am not sure if it really needs it or not either.

Last edited:
Found everything I need for my rooftop project. Just need one more rf linx amp and then ready to turn it over to my brother in law to build and put up the roof mast. Trying to build it out of PVC so no need to worry about grounding it. He is a master electrician so once it is all up and done if it needs a grounding wire he will take care of it. He is really **** about stuff like that. Because I am not sure if it really needs it or not either.

Good deal. Keep us posted on your progress. The ground thing just entered my mind because of previous antenna installs I've done myself and just figured I'd bring it up to see what people thought. Probably unnecessary I guess.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Last edited:
Here's try #3. I had to cut a little towards the end for privacy reasons and since I know next to nothing about video editing, the resolution fell off the cliff. You'll get the idea though.

Reactions: JohnnyB
Here's try #3. I had to cut a little towards the end for privacy reasons and since I know next to nothing about video editing, the resolution fell off the cliff. You'll get the idea though.

Killer dude! Man that was fun to watch! Thanks for posting!! Love it! Went back and read your setup. That's some killer penetration! To me that's much funner than boring distance runs!

Last edited:
Killer dude! Man that was fun to watch!

Yeah I have no interest in just taping a lever forward and flying a straight line. Very very boring. Much more fun to tool around the woods.
I'll paypal a dollar to the first person that can point out the deer in that video. $$$$$$

Great Video Dirt !!! Watched it all... Thanks for the drone fix bro !! 30 F with 25 mph winds the last 3 days. Winter is back in Michigan. I need to practice darnit !!

Since i cant fly i put together a video from hours of practice video flying around my neighborhood. More open FPV, i'm not ready for the woods yet....lol

I am about to order up that bird side amp. Your video will help a bunch.. thanks.
Wonder how big the optional battery is ?

Turbo

Wonder how big the optional battery is ?

The kit doesn't have an optional battery. That was just something I mused about as an option that could be done if you didn't want to solder into the drone wiring. That being the case, a battery could be anything that wouldn't overload the bird.

The kit doesn't have an optional battery. That was just something I mused about as an option that could be done if you didn't want to solder into the drone wiring. That being the case, a battery could be anything that wouldn't overload the bird.
It wouldn't take much battery to run a 5V Amp. BUT, tapping into the main power is not that much more work and takes another battery out of the picture. I wouldn't imagine it uses much of the P4 battery..

Na, not much. I think it cost me about 2 minutes of fly time running both amps. Well worth it. The new P4P batteries would more than make that up if anyone really needed to fly until the 10% forced landing.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ctlfreak