Fly away

I'm still waiting on the official word from DJI as to what happened. They said it is either a possible flight controller malfunction by possible GPS malfunction.

Looks like his satellite count dropped to zero. Might this explain no position updates?
It appears the GPS receiver stopped reporting its current location. It's not clear why that happened though.

I had no communication with the aircraft at this point when everything was going on
According to your flight log, you were still communicating with the aircraft. You can see the stick movements in the flight log during the period of time when the current position was not being updated.

Right... it's like it couldn't find its way back to the home position.
That's what happens when the Phantom auto switches to ATTI mode. It doesn't know how to get back to the home point when not using the data from the Phantom's GPS receiver (assuming it's reporting data). And when the remote controller signal disconnects while flying in ATTI mode, the Phantom auto lands at its current location (like in this case).

Reactions: Kissthesky
My screen went completely black and I was just trying anything and everything to get a bearing of where I was at that point. Actually just before the screen went black... I remember seeing neighborhood below me and a few pools. But I was fighting the aircraft trying to regain control, trying to put it in normal mode or anything else that would possibly work before the screen went black

That's also correct and quite odd.

Agreed - the satellite count bounced around from 17 to zero and then remained at zero - hence no position updates. It looks to me like the entire event was due to failure of the GPS module, its connection, or the FC parsing of those data. Everything else that happened is consistent with that.

2018-04-09_[14-50-25]_01.png

I was fighting the aircraft trying to regain control, trying to put it in normal mode or anything else that would possibly work before the screen went black
With the combination of you attempting to control the aircraft while it was flying in ATTI mode, your Phantom drifting with the wind, the missing location information, and the missing information in the flight log when the downlink dropped, there really isn't enough information to even guesstimate where it could have flown.

It looks to me like the entire event was due to failure of the GPS module, its connection, or the FC parsing of those data
Agreed.

@Kissthesky, if you don't find your Phantom or it's damaged when you find it, you should contact DJI Support for help. This is a case that has a good chance of being covered under warranty.

With the combination of you attempting to control the aircraft while it was flying in ATTI mode, your Phantom drifting with the wind, the missing location information, and the missing information in the flight log when the downlink dropped, there really isn't enough information to even guesstimate where it could have flown.
And I've literally walked about 25 miles looking for it in trees. on the ground, in the woods , talking to Neighbors and neighborhoods, putting in Flyers all over the area, walking in fields surrounding within a mile radius.... that's why I Turn to You guys for the help. You are pretty much my last hope and you've actually given me a lot more information than you realize

Agreed.

@Kissthesky, if you don't find your Phantom and/or it's damaged when you find it, you should contact DJI Support for help. This is a case that has a good chance of being covered under warranty.
I've already talked to DJI but they haven't given me a confirmation on the exact result of what happened. They are replacing the Drone though with a 100% coupon. I've already placed the order but it will take 5 to 6 weeks to get here.

Ah, well, that's at least good news then.

According to your flight log, you were still communicating with the aircraft. You can see the stick movements in the flight log during the period of time when the current position was not being updated.

Yes - control was good. Unfortunately the control inputs were complex and rather random, and so it is going to be difficult to predict the flight path. Definitely need the DAT file.

2018-04-09_[14-50-25]_02.png

2018-04-09_[14-50-25]_03.png

this?

Attachments

• 2018-04-09 14_50_32-07JDEBU00201XL.dat
    1.6 KB · Views: 271
  • 2018-04-09 14_59_24-07JDEBU00201XL.dat
    119 bytes · Views: 260
  • 2018-04-09 15_15_40-07JDEBU00201XL.dat
    167 bytes · Views: 261

Members online