Firmware v 1.8.80 released (with notes)

Just upgraded , and coincidently flew 11,300 feet from home. This thing is bone stock. I'm sure the upgrade had nothing to do with it but prior to this my record was only 8600 ft. Pretty cool.
3b5fdc16b2d11821fcfffa1f0ad6e1d4.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Finally got around to updating today. All good. Updating from AC firmware 1.6 to 1.8 took just about ten minutes on the dot. Updating from RC 1.5 to 1.6 took around two minutes to complete. All good connecting to dji go, all good connecting to Litchi. Did a compass calibration and a very low 60 second lift off (battery at 30%) just to make sure everything is ok, which it is. It may be just because the weather has grounded me for a couple weeks, but the motors at idle sound different- kinda ramped up a bit. Liftoff was fine. Might just be all in my head. I noticed no new NFZ's other than the ones I'm used to seeing.

For anyone interested, this is how I proceed each update, having never had an issue yet. I use an Ipad air2 at IOS 9.1 for flight.

- Power up the full system and take notes of all custom settings. You need to do this because while many settings remained the same, some defaulted. Check camera and video settings too.

- Power system down

- Delete or transfer video files off of the card you have been using successfully to film. That goes for any folders, media or otherwise. Everything off. Then drop the Bin file on the card. Using your filming card ensures that the card is working and formatted properly. I do not like using new, unproven cards for firmware updates.

- Put the card in the bird, remove any gimbal guard, place the bird on a level surface and with a battery charged at least to 50%, turn on the bird. Let it finish updating- approx ten minutes.

- Power off the bird, remove the card and check the card for success on a computer. Once done, delete (or transfer to archive) all files so the card is empty once again. Place the card back in the bird but do not turn on the bird at this time.

- If necessary and without turning on the RC, turn on tablet/phone and update DJI Go. I had to do this. I was one rev behind. I always update DJI Go if need be before an AC/RC firmware update. Once the app is updated, force close out of it and for good measure, close out of any other flight apps such as autopilot or Litchi, etc, which might be open in memory.

- Connect the cable from RC to tablet and turn on the tablet and open DJI Go. It should now show an RC update is needed. Proceed and once done, power down but do not restart yet. Force close the Go app as well.

- Turn on the RC and bird and wait 30 seconds before opening the Go app. This allows the bird and RC to make initial connection.

- Open the Go app and confirm live feed. With your previous notes, reset any custom settings. Be sure to check all camera settings too.

- While still connected to wifi, open any third party apps such as Litchi to establish connection is ok.

- Reformat the SD card within the DJI Go app.

- Done! Do a compass calibration in the field. That's the only calibration I personally do. I don't do an IMU or gimbal unless it says it needs it or there is odd flying behavior. I do a modest, low level close range flight for a battery after a firmware update to confirm all is well.

And now...for that flight! I'll report back if anything is screwy.

QUESTION: Is anyone getting an "odd" number of "calibrate the compass" warnings after the update?
No new, unique locations. Same place you've powered it up before...but with one or more calibration warnings that you did not see prior to this upgrade?

Great responses and questions on here. Nice to see activity and sharing.

Actually the whole process takes about 20-30 non pain in the butt minutes. There's an apprehension factor, updating the system- any system- can be a little nerve racking until it's all successfully finished. It's also tough to know how radical or not the update improvements are. I would guess the notes DJI includes don't nearly tell the whole story. Some people fear that very thing but since this is an aircraft, I tend to embrace the updates, albeit after waiting a couple weeks to be sure there's no uh-ohs from the crowds. There's always gonna be people posting about having a problem while updating but after a couple weeks the trend starts to show universal problems with the update, as opposed to the people with bad luck or just not doing things right to begin with. There's some regulars here that don't typically have problems updating. When they green light it, I usually figure it's ok to update.

YMMV

Please forgive me if this was covered already, but I have a curious question / questions.
I was using 1.6 up to this evening. I decided to fly a quick flight as weather was a little better today, but I noticed when I used a battery that was around 48% or so just to "feel things out" that immediately when ascending it said "critical voltage detected, auto landing". Thinking that was weird, I googled it. Discovered I was indeed running 1.6 whatever it was, and thought maybe batteries weren't updated. accidentally connected iPad to the internet (normally run it disconnected as I ONLY use it for the Phantom) and it updated the go App. I figured what the heck, and went with it, let it update the RC first.. no problems there. I already downloaded the 1.8.80 update from DJI a week or so ago, as i ALWAYS download them all, just in case, but I typically do NOT install unless I absolutely must. I upgraded the Phantom to the 1.8.80, that too went off without a hitch. once finished, checked the txt file, success. I removed the .bin file form the SD card, hooked everything up, took the bird outside. turned all of it on, everything connected smooth as butter, but there was one issue. the message kept bouncing in and out "poor quality RC channel" then back to good, then back to poor, etc.. I shut everything off, uninstalled GoApp just in case, downloaded and installed again, booted everything up. Everything connected just fine, but that error persisted.
Deciding to take a chance, I flew anyway and it flew fine, and once I got up in the air a bit the error ceased. I flew away form me about 400 + feet (not up, just away forward) and back with no issues a few times, them landed it. I will take it out tomorrow and see if it's back or gone, but has anyone else seen that with this update?

Also, what all can I expect coming from 1.6? I noticed the NFZ areas around me were finally marked, albeit not marked as big as I thought they would be, and the App appears to look different, but aside from that, at the moment I can't see anything negative.

Again, sorry in advance if someone else posted this already, but I searched and didn't find exactly what i was looking for.

An update on the Nexus 6P. I flew this evening and had no problems. I have no idea why it didn't work Sunday, but it looks good now.

Of topic: I am new to GPS flight. Tonight I flew two batteries. The first was a great flight, no problems. The second was about half done and I dropped out of the "Safe to fly in GPS mode" green to "Safe to fly in non-GPS mode" yellow. It hovered fine, never dropped below 14 SATs. I flew to a different location and went back to green. After some testing, I found a distinct line that moved me from one mode to the other. Looking at the flight record, I never left P-GPS mode. None of this happened just fifteen minutes earlier. Has anyone else experienced this?

but there was one issue. the message kept bouncing in and out "poor quality RC channel" then back to good, then back to poor, etc.. I shut everything off, uninstalled GoApp just in case, downloaded and installed again, booted everything up. Everything connected just fine, but that error persisted.
Deciding to take a chance, I flew anyway and it flew fine, and once I got up in the air a bit the error ceased. I flew away form me about 400 + feet (not up, just away forward) and back with no issues a few times, them landed it. I will take it out tomorrow and see if it's back or gone, but has anyone else seen that with this update?
I got that one too. I have had that one come up before. It's kinda fleeting and seems to resolve itself and never come up again. This is the first time it's happened in a long while, after this update. Like you, it went back and forth. I eventually took off because sats were strong and everything was locked in and the flight out to 800' was fine, without errors or problems. I use custom channel 20 and channels 17-19 were dirty as all hell and channel 19 might overlap to 20, which could have figured into the warning. I'll keep an eye on it.

Reactions: arcaine25
I flew a number of missions including some very long and complex litchi waypoint missions. This is by far the best firmware. Much more stable. Much more consistent connectivity. No more erratic gimbal pitch movements when executing litchi waypoint missions. Good job DJI!!

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Are you sure that isn't your device that plays the video stuttering? At 60fps the video doesn't stutter at all, even without any kind of filter.
Repeated the Litchi mission this morning, exactly the same parameters as yesterday...and got perfect results. May have been a glitch in the system. Whatever, it all seems okay (for now).

I must say, bird was steady as a rock in a hover, even though there was a slight breeze - must be as a result of the FW update.

I do like it when a plan works!

I got that one too. I have had that one come up before. It's kinda fleeting and seems to resolve itself and never come up again. This is the first time it's happened in a long while, after this update. Like you, it went back and forth. I eventually took off because sats were strong and everything was locked in and the flight out to 800' was fine, without errors or problems. I use custom channel 20 and channels 17-19 were dirty as all hell and channel 19 might overlap to 20, which could have figured into the warning. I'll keep an eye on it.

I don't do custom channels, I just let it do whatever the default is. Maybe I need to pay more attention and try custom channels. I'll google it and see what I come up with, in the mean time could you keep me / us posted with your results? It's weird because like you said, it bounced in and out, back and forth 1 second good, 2 seconds poor channel, 2 seconds good, 1 second poor channel, rinse repeat. but after i took off anyway, it hasn't shown since. I will do a cold flight this morning and see if it's the same, but hopefully it's gone.

A few times when I open the go app it goes directly in. It skips the splash screen and connect camera screen as well and I could swear I force closed the app prior. I'd love that to be the default behavior now. I'll check it again today. Anyone else have that?

A few times when I open the go app it goes directly in. It skips the splash screen and connect camera screen as well and I could swear I force closed the app prior. I'd love that to be the default behavior now. I'll check it again today. Anyone else have that?

No, still get splash screen and am required to "enter camera view" unless I left the app open, then it goes directly in.

Not sure the new firmware is the cause. I've seen reports of this from time to time. I used to have this problem with my P2V. It would start to autoland due to low battery with 40% to 56% battery level. Returned it to DJI and they replaced the battery and problem went away. My P3A has not had that issue (yet, anyway).
The cause might have been battery update. I did update it today and will try again to see if the problem exist.

After upgrading succesfully the aircraft (as shown in the logs on SD card) i get now "RC Signal Lost" error without even starting the motors.
I am on iOS, just deleted and reinstaled the app but no success. I cannot install RC update via the app due to this error message. Waht can i do ?

Did mine yesterday. All fine... in the end. Got confused when I got "RC Signal Lost" in GO before I read through this thread to find I needed to update the aircraft too.... :rolleyes: And thanks for msinger for pointing out you need the SD Card installed in the aircraft to update the batteries too...! :D

Last edited:
Try leaving the firmware update on the card and starting up the P3 with that battery in it. The battery update might need to be re done.
Hi kidaven, I did update the batteries. Tried them today ( I have 3) and 2 of them on 47% message popped up on the screen saying battery level is low, the aircraft will land in 10 sec.I cancelled the message and brought it down to 6' above the ground kept it till 15% and no other message. 14% message came landing and it landed.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
spaz_12