Drone Newbie, is it wise to jump straight to the P4 Pro

Reaction score
HI,
I am new to drones and trying to decide which Phantom to purchase, any input would be much appreciated.

Basically, I am wanting to try and justify spending the money on the P4 Pro, I am concerned about wrecking it on the first go. If common sense is used is it going to be possible to fly this without destroying it?

It is an expensive purchase considering it is going to be an adults toy, is the extra money for a P4 Pro really worth it?

The new controller with the screen looks awesome but is it really worth an extra $300?

Are there any more cost effective alternatives that have the same functionality? I have researched this extensivelt and haven't found any. I have considered a self-build but I cant find any plans that incorporate the same level of sensors.

Last edited:
The P4 is very easy to fly, and the P4 Pro should be even more crash resistant with the extra sensors. For video work the Pro has a better camera.
The P4 will now likely drop in price, and there will be numerous owners keen to sell and upgrade, so there will be bargains about.
Do not rule out the P3, also very easy to fly, and a very competent piece of kit, but no collision sensors, some say the P3 has better range, and the camera is similar to the P4. Many P3 owners did not upgrade to the P4 as the improvements were not justified.
I have the P4, but learned on a P2, the collision avoidance system has never yet had to work for real, but I have deliberately flown at speed towards a wall, and it brakes very rapidly in time to avoid a collision.
If I were starting out now, it would be the P4 pro,depends on your budget, and requirements,but they are easy to learn and fly.

Reactions: Marcmorrow
I never flown any rc until I bought a P4. Seen a buddies p3p and knew I wanted a drone. Did some research and bam bought a p4 took days before flying reading manuals and reading posts from others first. Very easy to fly and get used to. Take it slow and you'll be just fine. Have fun and good luck

Do you want the best drone, or 'the best drone for the money'? There is a big difference in capability between those two drones.

I would get the P4P, and I'd get it now. In about March, it will be old technology.

I don't understand why people think they're going to crash their drone 'on the first go'. These things couldn't be simpler to fly, and the P4 (and presumably the P4P) are the simplest of all. When you let go of the sticks, the thing just stops and hovers. Immediately.

If you can afford the P4P, get it.

If common sense is used is it going to be possible to fly this without destroying it?
If your common sense drives you to do things like read and thoroughly understand the Phantom manual before you try to fly, research the capabilities of the Phantom on sites like PhantomHelp.com, fly in a wide open area (e.g. not your living room) as you're learning, etc., then you'll have a greater chance of being incident free.

The new controller with the screen looks awesome but is it really worth an extra $300?
If you have one of these mobile devices, then you could save that $300 and fly with the mobile device you own now.

At some point in the future, DJI will be releasing their CrystalSky monitor. That's something you could purchase later and attach to your existing P4P/P4/P3P/P3A remote controller. I'm guessing the price point is going to be above $300 since it's packed with even more features.

Are there any more cost effective alternatives that have the same functionality?
No. DJI is the king of the hill right now.

At some point in the future, DJI will be releasing their CrystalSky monitor. That's something you could purchase later and attach to your existing P4P/P4/P3P/P3A remote controller. I'm guessing the price point is going to be above $300 since it's packed with even more features.

Yes, but we still don't know if the new P4P monitor will support third-party apps, let alone the Crystal
Sky monitor. That ability would be a key component of the purchasing decision for a lot of people.If I'm stuck with DJI GO or some other proprietary flight control software, I wouldn't be interested and I pretty sure there are a lot of people that feel that way.

Perhaps. I'm betting the majority of Phantom pilots are using DJI GO though.

As with any DJI accessory, they do not appeal to everyone.

Perhaps. I'm betting the majority of Phantom pilots are using DJI GO though.

As with any DJI accessory, they do not appeal to everyone.
I don't disagree, but I do think that Litchi and Autopilot have shown that DJI GO doesn't meet everyone's needs. DJI seems to acknowledge that as they provide a third-party SDK. I just hope they continue to do so. Don't misunderstand...I'd actually prefer to use only DJI GO. It's nice and stable and its compatibility isn't likely to be a problem, but it's relative lack of features would make me not want to get stuck with only that interface.

As a newbie, I just started flyjng about 6 weeks ago. I am a land surveyor so I'm using this for photogrammetry. For my actual missions I am using a couple of popular apps for the autopiloting of the aircraft. P4 and the Mavic Pro are indeed the latest shiniest things but, I would listen to your inner voice, get a P4 to learn on. They have gotten the bugs out of it, there is software tried and tested on it now (not vaporware). I just crashed my P4 this week (don't ask) but it was learning experience. Think of the P4 as a really nice set of training wheels. If you think you won't have a mishap flying drones, then well what can I tell you. Hey in a year from now P4P will be where the P4 is, but you haven't spent the big money chasing the lastest greatest etc.

Happy flying

Sent from my Moto G (4) using PhantomPilots mobile app

HI,
I am new to drones and trying to decide which Phantom to purchase, any input would be much appreciated.

Basically, I am wanting to try and justify spending the money on the P4 Pro, I am concerned about wrecking it on the first go. If common sense is used is it going to be possible to fly this without destroying it?

It is an expensive purchase considering it is going to be an adults toy, is the extra money for a P4 Pro really worth it?

Are there any more cost effective alternatives that have the same functionality? I have researched this extensivelt and haven't found any. I have considered a self-build but I cant find any plans that incorporate the same level of sensors.

Keep in mind that the 300$ extra for the built in screen include also the HDMI and SD slot on the RC which would amount alone 100$ if you upgrade afterwards by your own...so the screen is not so expensive, the question remains regarding 3rd party apps

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

HI,

I hvnt flown a drone before & brought a P4 last week, scared to fly due to cost, but be sensible & it's fine - let go it hovers unlike the helicopter I fly!! even 45mtrs high!! a few issues so returned it & will be ordering the P4p, so easy to fly if your sensible. photos & video is another thing lol, but actual flying is easy it's hovers and hold position with hands off!!

Regarding support of 3rd party apps on the P4P+ (with screen), it should be noted that neither P4P model supports 3rd party apps right now and will not until a SDK has been released by DJI for that model. When that happens it seems certain that Litchi will support the P4P, and that will probably include the P4P+ unless DJI expressly prevents it, but there doesn't seem to be a reason for them to do that because they allow 3rd-party app control on all other models. Bottom line it's just a 'wait and see' for now, no one can yet provide an answer.

Regarding the best drone, the 'best drone' or 'best drone for the price' comment was right on. The P4P is the 'best drone', but P4's and 3's can be had at a real bargain now so depending on how much money you have to spend it's a tough call. I will say that it is possible to crash them, I managed to do that on a very early flight of my first (a P3), I simply wandered too close to a tree and then didn't recognize the backwards orientation of the unit (common rookie error) and moved the unit into the tree instead of away :(. That probably wouldn't have happened with a P4P, FWIW.

If money isn't an issue, and time is, then go for the P4P. Good luck with that.

If money is a concern and time isn't, then take your time and buy a P3A to learn how to fly over the next 6mos. Then when you feel super confident, then buy the P4P, or maybe by that time the P5 will be out. Use the P3A as a backup, or to bring a friend along to fly.

Alternatively, buy a small 4" Inductrix mini quad for indoor flight training. When you become 100% competent to fly that indoors without crashing every 3min, then you can graduate to a Phantom fairly safe. You'll quickly learn reverse navigation and hone your reaction times. That initial intensive training will serve you well to minimize risk.

upload_2016-11-18_13-52-33.png

Last edited:
Do not discard the P3 Pro, it is a very good Aircraft to fly with 4K capabilities. Mine is in like new condition, I treat it the way I treat my wife, Lol. In conjunction with Autopilot or Litchi you can capture professional looking videos.
Now that the P4 Pro is out you are going to see quite a few P3 Pro for sale so keep your eyes open for good deals. My P3P is going to be on Ebay and Craiglist as soon I can take pictures. When the P4 Pro was announced I had 3 drones, P3 Pro, P4 and X-Star Premium. My intent is to get rid of the P3 Pro and have a P4 and a P4 Pro since the battery are fully interchangeable.

I have also purchased crash protection from Neary-Aerial for each member in my fleet.

HI,

Like others have said, it's easy to fly and just hovers in place if you let go of the sticks. Even in moderate wind it will stay in one spot. Just go to a wide open space like a baseball or soccer fiield until you are comfortable. Since you are referring to this as an "expensive toy" I recommend saving $500 and get the Mavic Pro. It cost $500 less making it a less expensive toy by 50%. It takes the exact same common sense and skill to fly as the Phantom 4. I've read numerous posts on the Mavic forum from people that own both the Phantom 4 and the Mavic. They say they rarely fly their Phantom since the Mavic is more fun to fly. Also, you may decide later to use the $500 you saved to go toward buying the DJI Goggles which will give you a first person view in 1080p and ability to control the Mavic just by turning your head and looking in the direction you want to fly.

Since you are referring to this as an "expensive toy" I recommend saving $500 and get the Mavic Pro. It cost $500 less making it a less expensive toy by 50%.
The Mavic Pro costs $500 less than the Phantom 4 Pro, not the Phantom 4 which can be purchased for under $1,000 now. I would get the Mavic over the Phantom 4 because you don't have to give up any performance so why not, but the Phantom 4 Pro is a different story and is in an entirely different league than the Mavic in terms of camera capability, plus has 360-degree collision avoidance, more advanced flight features, etc. That said, for a first drone you probably do not need the performance of something like the P4Pro and if you intend to use captured video only for personal use and don't need >30 fps and such the Mavic is probably plenty good enough, unless you are terminally picky like some of us. ;) But for any use where video/still quality is a critical factor then it's no contest in favor of the P4P.

Last edited:
...Do not rule out the P3, also very easy to fly, and a very competent piece of kit, but no collision sensors, some say the P3 has better range, and the camera is similar to the P4. Many P3 owners did not upgrade to the P4 as the improvements were not justified...
Which P3 are you referring to?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers