Drone ignored pull-back command = crashed

Zaq, the conversation is hindered with your stating you used CSC, when you didn't. In PHANTOM SPEAK in this forum, a CSC is the command to shut down the motors (per Phantom manual, Combination Stick Command). It's not known here in this forum as stick input, as you are using the acronym. So never use the CSC term here unless you are talking about trying to turn off the motors mid flight, or turn them on.

Here's a page of Acronyms for reference.

Last edited:
Oh, by the way bro, sorry your bird is hurt man, that sucks, and I believe that DJI should help you if indeed your log shows it didn't do what the inputs were telling it too.

Although I don't agree that it's "in their best interest" as the support from DJI is abysmal, and that's on a good day, yet they keep selling these as fast as they make them. I don't think until there is a real hammering to them over something, and it finally affects the company, they'll keep on keeping on with terrible customer service.

Reactions: ZaqHydN
Actually they didn't change it. They added another CSC method. The old method still works, which is odd if they wanted to change it.
Really , that makes no sense to add a new CSC . I guess I just assumed they replaced the old CSC .

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Between trees.. ouch.

and a stow-away?

Did you, ok, when did you notice then that the CA, or OA wasn't working? Everything was OK, but weren't you like "wait a sec, what's going on, why no beeps and CA bars across the screen?"
Because the other day I was bring my bird down because it was already windy but it picked up hard, I have the "thread the needle" when coming thru the backyard like that, and the trees are high, like 85' -100' tall suckers. As I entered the canopy the OA went beserk on me (oh yeah and had been giving me false positive readings when nothing present the whole flight, which was only maybe 6-7 minutes) anyway the OA is beeping and throwing crap out, and the bird froze, I mean it wouldn't pull back like I needed it to, I couldn't go forward either obviously, and either way would have been fine, it's the way the branches are in relation to the bird, so I couldn't even test side to side, too close. It's wouldn't yaw, it would however go up, but with it acting like it was I didn't want a bird that wasn't listening to commands even higher! Finally that's what I did tho to shut up the OA and regain control.
I found a large bug that I meticulously cleaned out the other day, had left a large part of himself in the crevice that I so carefully thought I cleaned all the way. Did a recalibrate and it's back working fine.
I find that by using one of the "C" buttons that shoots camera up and down real fast, that seems to really help when the horizon is off, if it's bad, it makes it a lot better, like 80% but doesn't make it perfect.

I noticed the OA not working when I was approaching the structure closer than it should have (drift) and no warnings were being sent. It's almost like it was slowly magnetically sucked into the clock. Not positive what you mean by CA, but if you mean Control Actions, I noticed they weren't working the moment I tied to do something about its potential contact.

Thanks for the tip, I'll try that, but the problem is that it's causing panoramic shots to be very wavy and almost unsettling. I've seen steady panos that are dead-on level, but this one hasn't been able to keep the lens level when making a pano shot. I've tried resetting/ re-calibrating and stuff.. i'm not giving up tho.

Zaq, the conversation is hindered with your stating you used CSC, when you didn't. In PHANTOM SPEAK in this forum, a CSC is the command to shut down the motors (per Phantom manual, Combination Stick Command). It's not known here in this forum as stick input, as you are using the acronym. So never use the CSC term here unless you are talking about trying to turn off the motors mid flight, or turn them on.

Here's a page of Acronyms for reference.

Very well, I'll acquiesce the acronym, thank you for identifying.
#DontFlyDelta

Between trees.. ouch.

and a stow-away?
ts to be very wavy and almost unsettling. I've seen steady panos that are dead-on level, but this one hasn't been able to keep the lens level when making a pano shot. I've tried resetting/ re-calibrating and stuff.. i'm not giving up tho.

I shoulda made it a little more clear, I thought you'd pick it up but you know the OA or obstacle avoidance, it's also referred to as CA or "collision Avoidance"
The bad thing is I really, really, REALLY! Cleaned the **** cameras out well, I knew something had been stuck in there, I was using this technique where I was like wiping up and away, as tiny bits would come out, so I had thought I got it all. Just goes to show you, as careful as I was, it got by me. I wax my bird after every run, have some nice spray wax, I put the gimbal camera cover on, and the four motor covers I got on eBay, and spray here and wipe it clean, I also clean the sensors and camera glass really well, along with the remote, I touch that so Inwant it clean. (I clean my $275 remote to my TV sound system frequently also) the props get nasty so those are also cleaned after every run, or at end of the day. I've only got one battery till Tuesday so I have time to prep her before I can fly again lol.
I feel for ya man, I really do. If they don't fix it for you (DJI) I so hope maybe a vendor on here could help you out with cost or something. But I would likely send it to a company here in the states, I wouldn't pay DJI to fix it, no way, I'd rather give my money to another company in this instance, being that I believe you. With that said I so hope you have the cash to sent it to someone who will make it right for you, I'm not sure what it'll cost to make it perfect, but if you don't fix it your out the $1399, so you almost can justify spending up to $500 to get her doing what it supposed to. I wish I could help you, all I could do is help you take it apart and buy a whole new gimbal part, u know the whole grey piece with brand new internals

You are aware that the csc commands were changed after the last firmware update. Also I'm not sure how a csc would've helped you in this case . Unless I missed something but killing the motors midair would've only sent your phantom falling to the ground. Also obstacle avoidance is disabled in atti mode. Your phantom did exactly what it was suppose to do. Pilot error kills another innocent phantom .
If it couldn't go backwards why did it do exactly what it's supposed to?

I've seen the same thing but it's never got me in trouble (where the avoidance kicks in and it doesn't just stop you from going forward). I suppose with a push from wind while this is happening would cause it to hit the offending obstacle.

I think you're misreading here. "A CSC" in this context is meant to say "a Control Stick Command" and not necessarily a "Motor Shutdown Command" - which would have helped as the incident happened at less than 8' AGL, as the UAV would have only fallen about 7' instead of shooting off 35' at full speed into a brick wall. I'm saying that I issued a Control Stick Command to Pull-Back, and that command was not responded to.
Maybe a semantic issue but most of us when we here CSC we think of the COMBINATION STICK COMMAND moving BOTH sticks simultaneously downward and inward which is designed to shut the drone down - fast. DJI has added another pathway to the shutdown procedure, but IMHO, the 'old way' still works. So basically you just pulled the right stick back in hopes of the craft obeying the usual flight controls and going backwards.

Again, getting the logs are going to be most useful.

Reactions: yorlik
Maybe a semantic issue but most of us when we here CSC we think of the COMBINATION STICK COMMAND moving BOTH sticks simultaneously downward and inward which is designed to shut the drone down - fast. DJI has added another pathway to the shutdown procedure, but IMHO, the 'old way' still works. So basically you just pulled the right stick back in hopes of the craft obeying the usual flight controls and going backwards.

Again, getting the logs are going to be most useful.

indeed, and yes, 32'ft per second is fast, and would have prevented the P4 from zipping off at full-tilt for 35' into a brick wall by instead, letting it drop dead at 7' from a horizontally still position.

I'll acquiesce the acronym as mentioned earlier. CommandStickCombination I was told. #soundsLegit

If there was a kill switch, that would have helped.

Still haven't been able to calibrate the forward sensors. Intermittently, I will get a warning prior to TO, then it goes out.

BTW, I've surveyed the site for RF Emissions and Magnetic Field Disturbances -
Nothing out of the norm.
Mostly a Radio Dead zone from 1GHz and up.
No abnormal Magnetic Declination found.

Zaq upload your flight logs...https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/ (make sure to go back to that site after you watch the video and upload to there, not to healthy drones as it doesn't give as much info)

I agree that HealthyDrones doesn't give the info needed, I tried and looked over the data. Although the data is entirely in my favor (conditionally), it doesn't show the action in coordination to the Control Stick Actions (CSA - is that one taken? ;)).

Thanks for the U/L link; I uploaded the file and it looks like it made it up to 30 MPh when it zipped into the wall.. wow.. So, what do I do with it now?

all the Altitudes recorded after 47:6" are all wrong on the flight record, the P4 bounced off a 2' tall brick wall and body-slammed itself into the lawn on the other side (barely missing the small drainage brook).
Phantom Log Viewer - PhantomHelp.com

I agree that HealthyDrones doesn't give the info needed, I tried and looked over the data. Although the data is entirely in my favor (conditionally), it doesn't show the action in coordination to the Control Stick Actions (CSA - is that one taken? ;)).

Thanks for the U/L link; I uploaded the file and it looks like it made it up to 30 MPh when it zipped into the wall.. wow.. So, what do I do with it now?

all the Altitudes recorded after 47:6" are all wrong on the flight record, the P4 bounced off a 2' tall brick wall and body-slammed itself into the lawn on the other side (barely missing the small drainage brook).
Phantom Log Viewer - PhantomHelp.com

Is there any other logs than this one - this doesn't seem to have the complete logs? did it stop in a tree?

the logs are weird, it shows battery issues and altitude issues....

Question, if it lost gps would it have gone into atti mode thus cutting off crash avoidence? Forward momentum carrying it into the clock. When you play back the flight in the go app it tells you if it shifts into atti mode. Bad crash and amazed how the body buckled insteaded of cracking off.

THat's the only log for this flight.

In this photo:
1. TO on the lower right;
2. short drift-in Shot of park sign;
- Lateral flight to the Right with a slow CCW Pan to compensate;
3. Center Screen top, looking at structure;
- Slow Drift-In Shot to 3' of structure, P4 no longer responding to Controller Actions;
- Pull-Back commands given (100%) - no response;
4. Contact with structure, P4 noses down the structure to the concrete, then shoots full-tilt hotizontally about 35' distance at 2' AGL;
5. Contact with brick wall (2' tall);
6. hard crash landing upsidedown.

2016-05-02 19_54_59-HealthyDrones.com - Innovative flight data analysis that matters.jpg

out of curiosity, and forgive me if I skimmed over this being said, were you in sport mode, or P? OAS does NOT work in Sport or ATTI mode. Either way I am sorry for the loss of your bird.

out of curiosity, and forgive me if I skimmed over this being said, were you in sport mode, or P? OAS does NOT work in Sport or ATTI mode. Either way I am sorry for the loss of your bird.

I was in P mode. I should have been in A mode, maybe the P4 would have executed the command.. Well, if I was in A mode, the P4 would not have gotten as close as it did to begin with.. o_O

Reactions: arcaine25

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik