Do you want to have some fun with your 107?

Reaction score
Craft shows, are unique, in that they provide photographers (and a multitude of others) a way to sell their creations, without the hassles of running a business. You can do one or two a year, or you can do one every weekend. You can go to the local high school, or enter juried shows on a grander scale. The range of outlets in this market is endless.
Find subject matter in the area of the show that will appeal to the customers. Perhaps lighthouses, marinas, public beaches and parks, lakes in the area, small town overviews, schools, landmarks, etc. Your best ideas will come from potential customers who will ask if you have photos of this or that. Write those ideas down and get that shot for next time if you think it is a good idea. (be aware of any required model releases)
You will need to invest in photo printing in order to have a product to sell. You need at least one retail item under $10 (5x7 print), and nothing over about $80 (16x20 print) for a local high school type show.
Try to pick subjects that are not time sensitive so that any unsold prints will still be valid to sell the next time. A lake overview can be sold this year or next year. A wildlife photo can be sold forever, where a photo of a boat race is obsolete as soon as they have another race.
Always have a sign that says something like "Ask us about our custom aerial photography service". And be prepared with an offer of services and pricing. (this is one of the best parts of local shows, and your opportunity to sell video)
This approach may bring in from $500 to $2000 a weekend, plus custom work, once you learn the ropes.

What kind of local business license is typically required to participate in these types of shows?
In Michigan you are required to have a 'sales tax license' to collect sales tax. Some folks do that, and others just keep it small and fly under the radar. With a sales tax license, you also don't have to pay sales tax on your lab work to print the photos for sale. Other than that, there are no requirements. In over 10 years, I was never once asked to show my license in the small shows that I did. You are expected to claim the income on your taxes as well.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1