Why even bother with the 107? It will end up like the 333, everyone paying gobs of money for what?
fly, sell and becareful.
Really bad advice on many levels.

Why even bother with the 107? It will end up like the 333, everyone paying gobs of money for what?
fly, sell and becareful.

Sorry but you obviously don't know what you're talking about. It's $150 for the test and depending on what your study habits are you may or may not have to invest in additional prep courses etc.

Bottom line is it's "just right" to follow the law especially if you want to be a respected and professional business person. For the record when Part 107 becomes LIVE it will be LAW and with that it could have deep repercussions for those who want to operate outside of the law.

Im a hobbyist, I dont fly for money.
I just think the goverment comes out with one rule for commercial flight, gets eveyone excited to get their 333, then changes the rules a little for relaxed approval with a 107. Whats next? send us $5 and well issue you a license to fly any drone as long as you pay Per flight?
Its all about money,advertising, marketing, safety comes second .
I think in a year from now, anyone wanting to fly for comercial purposes will be able to, without taking an exam. My point I was trying to make was, 333 came out and folks wasted their money for certification. Months later they relaxed the rule and now comes the 107. A year from now it will be some other gimick to get your money and make you feel like your a law abiding citizen. While on the other hand, the cops and parks will make their own laws that you wont be compliant with, and therefore be cited.
fly respectfully, know the laws and safety but most importantly, know uncle sam will run you through various versions and your money.
its
like any new major techonological advancement in history, people like it, govement wants to control it, public is afraid of it, media blasts it, which empowers the the gov to regulate it for a fee and tell the media everything is all right, they paid to read the rules.

333 exemptions came about because people wished to be exempted from a law when there were no other options available. Part 107 was created to spell out exactly what a Remote Pilot can do in a commercial operation. It wasn't created by the Government as a method to make money. It was created to control a new type of flight that has exploded onto the scene. You said you expected people to fly respectfully and know the laws. Well, if you want to fly commercially, Part 107 reflects the law.

Since you are a hobbyist, neither the 333 exemption nor Part 107 refers to your flights. Enjoy.

looking-eyes-transparent.gif

Reactions: Tricky
333 exemptions came about because people wished to be exempted from a law when there were no other options available. Part 107 was created to spell out exactly what a Remote Pilot can do in a commercial operation. It wasn't created by the Government as a method to make money. It was created to control a new type of flight that has exploded onto the scene. You said you expected people to fly respectfully and know the laws. Well, if you want to fly commercially, Part 107 reflects the law.

Since you are a hobbyist, neither the 333 exemption nor Part 107 refers to your flights. Enjoy.

Well said Russ. You nailed it :)

Well said Russ. You nailed it :)
Agree. I am US Citizen by choice, and what I really love about this country is the rule of law. I have lived in other countries, and they do not progress and they get poor bcs of the lack of law compliance and justice. I am proudly studying to present my test the week of August 29th. I will fly commercially and the part 107 is a great advance. Pls, Colorado 68, don't complain about your government and your wonderful country, you don't know what a bad government or a corrupted country are.

Agree. I am US Citizen by choice, and what I really love about this country is the rule of law. I have lived in other countries, and they do not progress and they get poor bcs of the lack of law compliance and justice. I am proudly studying to present my test the week of August 29th. I will fly commercially and the part 107 is a great advance. Pls, don't complain about your government and your wonderful country, you don't know what a bad government or a corrupted country are.

BRAVO!!

Reactions: Falcon900
You won't need to study the entire 524 pages of the PHAK (Pilot's Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge). Probably only 75 or so pages contain info relevant to the 107 test. If you are going to study using only the FAA's resources, you'll need these:

FAA Airman Certification Standards for Remote Pilot
Part 107 regulations (there are condensed versions in PDF available)
AIM (Aeronautical Information Manual)
FAA Pilot's Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge
FAA Risk Management Handbook
FAA Weather Services Handbook
FAA Weather Resources Handbook
Various ACs and SAFOs

The difficult part is filtering out the parts that apply to you and Part 107. Don't take the test unprepared! If you can't decipher a METAR and a TAF, cannot calculate an aircraft's apparent weight in a specific bank angle, can't read a 4-Panel Prognostic Chart, can't determine when Class E airspace starts at the surface, 700 feet or 1,200 feet, don't know how to listen to an ATIS broadcast, or cannot make proper self-announce broadcasts on an aviation handheld radio, you may have problems with the test.
appreciate the info - but all the last stuff you listed in the last paragraph has nothing to do with flying a 5 lb drone - Faa is rediclouse

Ridiculous or not, it will be covered on the test. Everything in the ACS is fair game for test questions. Have you studied the ACS yet?

You have to remember that the FAA doesn't care if you can fly a 5 pound drone. What they do care about is that you can safely integrate into the aviation system with other pilots.

One of the pluses to Part 107 is increased access to airspace around some airports. So understanding airspace and communications is important. And getting aviation related weather will be vital in flight planning and decision making. You local weather app won't give you visibility and ceiling night info, both critical to mailing go- no go decisions. The FAA has shown a surprising willingness to work with us and IMHO what they are asking from us is pretty reasonable and justified.

Reactions: Falcon900
appreciate the info - but all the last stuff you listed in the last paragraph has nothing to do with flying a 5 lb drone - Faa is rediclouse

No it's not at all. If you're going to be flying in the National Airspace System with other aircraft (manned and Unmanned) then you need to have some rudimentary understanding of how to integrate safely. If we're going to play with the big boys we need to pull our pants up and act like big boys.

Also keep in mind that Part 107 is more than just for hobby people who want to shoot Realtor pictures. It also encompasses some very complex and capable UAS and as such your level of understanding/knowledge needs to adequate.

Well said, Richard and BigAl. All drone dudes should be thrilled with the access they are being given to the NAS.

No it's not at all. If you're going to be flying in the National Airspace System with other aircraft (manned and Unmanned) then you need to have some rudimentary understanding of how to integrate safely. If we're going to play with the big boys we need to pull our pants up and act like big boys.

Also keep in mind that Part 107 is more than just for hobby people who want to shoot Realtor pictures. It also encompasses some very complex and capable UAS and as such your level of understanding/knowledge needs to adequate.
Right on! Some friends of mine are building some large UASs that will carry some sophisticated sensors such as FLIR and Ladar. They will studying and taking exactly the same tests that I will. And my certificate (assuming that I pass LOL), would also allow me to act as PIC on their bird too. Like BigA107 said, we're in the bigs now, the FAA is willing to consider us as professionals and it's in our best interest to act like one!

I have my Section 333 but I plan on testing for Part 107. This thread has a bunch of great information but honestly I'm still unclear on what to study (I haven't had to study for a test in 26 years). I'll read through the thread again because I'm sure I missed something.

But in the meantime I was wondering... Once the test comes out, won't all the questions be available in one form or another so that we all know exactly what's on the test? Unless they randomly change up the questions from a larger pool of questions, I guess.

I'm not looking for an easy way out and I'm happy to study, but I'm just wondering if it's worth waiting until the testing starts (it didn't start yet, right?). Sorry if this all sounds wrong, I'm just starting to read up on Part 107 now...

Howdy, Rothgarr. A question that keeps coming up so you share it with a lot of others. The FAA stopped publishing their test databases some number of years ago. But we can make a very accurate assessment of what will be covered on the test using the Remote Pilot Airman Certification Standards and the Private Pilot Knowledge Testing Supplement (that's the book of figures and charts you'll use during the Remote Pilot test). While we may not know the exact wording of the questions, we do know definitely what will be covered.

There are a lot of Part 107 "ground schools" popping up. But be careful, 99% of them are taught by people who have never taken an FAA test in their lives. It's a case of the blind leading the blind. I purchased two of the more prominent ones and can tell you with certainty that they would not adequately prepare you for the FAA exam.

Well said Russ (N42742). I completely agree.

I have my Section 333 but I plan on testing for Part 107. This thread has a bunch of great information but honestly I'm still unclear on what to study (I haven't had to study for a test in 26 years). I'll read through the thread again because I'm sure I missed something.

But in the meantime I was wondering... Once the test comes out, won't all the questions be available in one form or another so that we all know exactly what's on the test? Unless they randomly change up the questions from a larger pool of questions, I guess.

I'm not looking for an easy way out and I'm happy to study, but I'm just wondering if it's worth waiting until the testing starts (it didn't start yet, right?). Sorry if this all sounds wrong, I'm just starting to read up on Part 107 now...
My GUESS is that (I have taken tests from these centralized testing companies) the FAA created a pool of questions and each test is a random set of questions for each test from that pool - assuming the FAA had the initiative to do so - this is just my opinion and guess - other than what I have experienced on other tests - I really have no idea - sometimes the testing company posts exam test questions pertaining to the subject they are testing - we'll see after 8/29 - my plan is to take the example test questions the FAA has provided and look up the references they sight - I really don't want to lean about high pressure zones, which way a run way is laid out and so on, just to fly a P3A in my real estate inspection business - but I intend to do what is necessary to meet the required standards (there are many folks I have visited with, professional photographers and other businesses, that have no intention of messing with the certification process and never applied for the old style exemption - some of my competition has been doing so for months)

My GUESS is that (I have taken tests from these centralized testing companies) the FAA created a pool of questions and each test is a random set of questions for each test from that pool - assuming the FAA had the initiative to do so - this is just my opinion and guess - other than what I have experienced on other tests - I really have no idea - sometimes the testing company posts exam test questions pertaining to the subject they are testing - we'll see after 8/29 - my plan is to take the example test questions the FAA has provided and look up the references they sight - I really don't want to lean about high pressure zones, which way a run way is laid out and so on, just to fly a P3A in my real estate inspection business - but I intend to do what is necessary to meet the required standards (there are many folks I have visited with, professional photographers and other businesses, that have no intention of messing with the certification process and never applied for the old style exemption - some of my competition has been doing so for months)
Thanks. That's my feeling as well. I don't mind studying topics, but I honestly don't care to spend time on things that would never be on the test.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic