Do you let (inexperienced) buyers test fly your drone when selling it?

It's a bit difficult to comment after KongWerk's showstopper, but here goes.....

Of course, just demonstrate that it works well. But, as an added selling point and gesture of goodwill, why not offer a 10-minute lesson with it AFTER money has changed hands. This might be appreciated by a novice. You could even offer this within an advert for selling the drone, which will enhance the chances of a good sale.

Hi all,
I'm currently working on selling my P3S and I've been having some doubts on what to do when someone wants to buy it. Hopefully some of you can share some insight.

As the topic title suggests, when any of you sell your drone, do you let any -possible- inexperienced potential buyers test fly it?
What I fear is that during a test flight even in beginner mode, the buyer crashes it and consequently decides not to proceed on the purchase, leaving me with one useless broken Phantom. I'd therefore prefer to just demonstrate the drone instead by flying it myself to show the buyer that it works well. However, I reckon many people may get suspicious if they are not allowed to control it themselves.
I live in an urban area where there is no large unrestricted open field near my house. Otherwise that would be the safest option.

How do you guys go about it? Do you perhaps have any other advice when selling your drone to someone?
I've not read any replies, but I would not. I would happily demonstrate anything and everything; but particularly if they're not experienced... I wouldn't let 'em touch it until I had the money in my hands. I sold my first one to a friend and did just that. While coaching him* on his first flight, he crashed it. Luckily it was only from about 5 feet so no damage done.

* He didn't do what I told him to do...

Until the rogue wave hits in the form of a CSC shutdown that the inexperienced operator initiated by mistake. Then comes the unhappy Landing.

Very true. Although an extremely unlikely situation. It’s a very unnatural position to put the sticks in. But you do have a point.

Wide open area, maybe set to beginner mode to create a virtual fence, a few preflight do’s and don’ts, aka “expectations”, and clear direction during flight. If they fail to follow directions, TestFlight OVER!

If they can’t handle that, they should walk away.

No Deal unless you have he Cash in your hand. Let them see you operate the Quad Copter. If you have another $ 40.00 Head Less Mode Quad Copter with you let them fly it with your instructions

My First Flight with my Phantom ( P3 P ) I flew for a few minutes then landed and then handed it to the Son -in Law and he Flew it a few minutes and landed and then Let the Grandson Fly and land..None of us had Flown before. Of course I watched video's for ( 3 Months ) since it was bought in January during the Cold months of the Carolina Coast

Reactions: Richard LaFleche
I would never let anyone (experienced or not) fly a drone that I have for sale. I would fly it to show the buyer it does work as advertised however. The price of the drone is just to big for me.

I respect everyone's sentiments, however... what does one mean by fly?

My earlier post says- Yes (in an open area after I verify stability), but that really means for the buyer to push the Right stick mostly to see predicted response with a bit of Left stick only to see rise and fall. All the while insisting on releasing both or either stick upon command.
Maybe then I'll consider other maneuvers depending on demonstrated ability. This does not mean fly away 100's of feet away and/or up, FPV, etc.

After all, these things fly themselves.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1