Do you let (inexperienced) buyers test fly your drone when selling it?

Reaction score
Hi all,
I'm currently working on selling my P3S and I've been having some doubts on what to do when someone wants to buy it. Hopefully some of you can share some insight.

As the topic title suggests, when any of you sell your drone, do you let any -possible- inexperienced potential buyers test fly it?
What I fear is that during a test flight even in beginner mode, the buyer crashes it and consequently decides not to proceed on the purchase, leaving me with one useless broken Phantom. I'd therefore prefer to just demonstrate the drone instead by flying it myself to show the buyer that it works well. However, I reckon many people may get suspicious if they are not allowed to control it themselves.
I live in an urban area where there is no large unrestricted open field near my house. Otherwise that would be the safest option.

How do you guys go about it? Do you perhaps have any other advice when selling your drone to someone?

I would not, One thing you could do is that the person has to give you all the money cash up front and if they decide not to take it and don't crash you give them the money back, if they crash it they just bought it. Make them sign a paper that states they agree to these terms. This will also weed out the wanna be testers.

Hi all,
I'm currently working on selling my P3S and I've been having some doubts on what to do when someone wants to buy it. Hopefully some of you can share some insight.

As the topic title suggests, when any of you sell your drone, do you let any -possible- inexperienced potential buyers test fly it?
What I fear is that during a test flight even in beginner mode, the buyer crashes it and consequently decides not to proceed on the purchase, leaving me with one useless broken Phantom. I'd therefore prefer to just demonstrate the drone instead by flying it myself to show the buyer that it works well. However, I reckon many people may get suspicious if they are not allowed to control it themselves.
I live in an urban area where there is no large unrestricted open field near my house. Otherwise that would be the safest option.

How do you guys go about it? Do you perhaps have any other advice when selling your drone to someone?
I personally wouldn't let anyone fly mine, experienced or not. Anyone can crash. If they did crash your drone, they could say it was the drone's fault. Try to get them to pay for damages. Demonstrate it and that's it. Also, don't ask to borrow my tools. That has never worked out well.

The purpose is to demonstrate 100% functionality. Not to allow extreme maneuvers or near-BVLOS operations.

Go to an open area, show complete pre-flight and other set-up.

Launch and then allow them to first see you showing stability, capabilities, etc.

Then allow them to use right stick only to push it around. Explain they must release right stick upon your command to hover until you can either take back controller or they regain composure.

It's not that difficult but an open area is the best insurance.

Reactions: loonie01 and Meta4
I do sell these locally and I've found that a person who has never flown before really doesn't want to take control. I do get it above the wooded area I live in and let them use the remote and do a few positions and so far I have had no problem at all.

Reactions: WV. Rootman
Thanks a lot for your replies!
It's now clear to me that the smartest way to go is to just demonstrate it. And if they want to fly it themselves, they can after the payment has been received. I appreciate the insight.

Thanks a lot for your replies!
It's now clear to me that the smartest way to go is to just demonstrate it. And if they want to fly it themselves, they can after the payment has been received. I appreciate the insight.
I think that the ease of flight is a great selling point and would allow a buyer to fly (under supervision) and get a feel for it, but in a large open area, well away from trees, buildings etc.
Having that first check-out flight goes a long way to reducing anxiety for first time flyers and could help the sale.

Reactions: Rudder Bug
No I wouldn't let them fly it. Say in the ad "will demonstrate for potential purchaser that it is operational". If they don't want to buy because you wouldn't let them fly it oh well. All the risk is yours.

If they have any knowledge regarding these systems at all, they will know all there is to know watching you fly. If they have no knowledge of these systems, you don’t need them flying yours. That’s what it boils down to.

If they have any knowledge regarding these systems at all, they will know all there is to know watching you fly. If they have no knowledge of these systems, you don’t need them flying yours. That’s what it boils down to.

Well said , x2

Hi all,

I have sold many dirt bikes and street bikes in my time. I have never heard of anyone letting Anyone try it out with out the owner having cash in hand. No way! Never. I mean, you gotta ask the prospective buyer " You do have the cash don't you'? Well, let's see it.

I am constantly surprised by the number of people who are reckless and bald faced liars when something goes wrong. So for example, you let them test fly it and they lift off and instantly fly it straight into a tree, and then swear that it didn't respond to their input. They walk off and you are out a drone.
If it were me I would fly it myself and ask them to tell me what manuevers they would like to see performed. If they insist on flying it then I want cash in hand first. Then take a video of them flying it start to finish. If they don't hurt it and still don't want it you can then give them the cash back for the bird.

if you had a motorcycle and was going to sell it, would you let someone take it for a test ride that has never ridden a motorcycle or has an endorsement. The drone selling business is the same as application, pay for it, show it and let him take it home.

if you had a motorcycle and was going to sell it, would you let someone take it for a test ride that has never ridden a motorcycle or has an endorsement. The drone selling business is the same as application, pay for it, show it and let him take it home.
Funny you bring that up...I had a friend have his bike stolen that way.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20