Do I need a phone?

Reaction score
I just bought my Vision 2+, but I don't have a smart phone because they are so darned fragile. So is it possible to switch on the camera via the controller or on the drone some place - or is it necessary to have a smart phone or tablet to control the camera?

By the way fellow newbies - Before you fly this bad boy be **** sure to give the battery a good slap and get it seated into the battery holder, because I didn't on my 3rd flight and it came out at about 5 ft altitude and lunched a speed controller and motor!!! Live and learn - right? I look at it this way...........It could have been at 500 feet!!!

Thanks to HobbyTown in Loves Park, ill. for their awesome knowledge on these machines. Ashley is a REAL knowledge-base on the Phantom.

You must use the DJI Vision app or another 3rd party app in order to control the camera. You don't need those apps to fly though.

You really should use a mobile device with the Vision/Vision+. Aside from camera control and FPV, it will show you the battery level and satellite count.

You can use nearly any cheap Android tablet to get that basic functionality from the App. A bit newer hardware is required to get the Groundstation part working.

You can start the camera with a small button on it - but really you are missing out on lots of almost essential stuff with no access to the app.
If you really don't want a smartphone or tablet the P1 or P2 with gopro would be a better choice.
Note you don't even need it to act as a phone but if you connect to wifi at home you can cache maps for groundstation and other features like find my phantom

To me probably the most important thing on the phone display is keeping track of how much flying time you have left on the battery. Without that, I think you'll be getting the low battery alarm real often. Hopefully when you're not flying very far away from home point.

Smart phones help. You can use the data to quickly cache maps and you can use the gps to enable dynamic home point. This great if you live near a ghetto. if some one wants to steal your phantom, you can just run and the phantom will find you when rth is triggered. Lol

I think your question has been answered, but if you want me to call you, you must have a phone.:p

Welcome to the forum rodbuilder

The Button Under The Camera Can Be Used To Start And Stop Videos, You Could Install A Tilt Lever If Its A v2 Or v3 You Have The Tilt Wheel So Not An Issue, However Its Hard To Frame Shots Without A Smart Phone, You Could Buy Yourself A Cheap 7inch Tablet.

Yes You Can Fly Without One, But Not Recommended. Also As You Didn't Know About The Camera Button I Would Strongly Suggest Reading The Manual.

Reactions: IflyinWY

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.