DJI Missing a Dropper Trick?

Reaction score
I'm not sure but I think DJI are missing a trick with this the inability to buy an automatic dropper. You could have a dropper clip on in the same way that the plastic camera protector clips on and a small wire to the USB port would power the dropper. Push a button, drop the bait/wife's car keys and there you go. I'd buy one of them for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Welcome to the forum Drobby.

There is an FAA rule in the USA about dropping items from aircraft. They probably want to avoid any possible litigation.

ec. 91.15 — Dropping objects.
No pilot in command of a civil aircraft may allow any object to be dropped from that aircraft in flight that creates a hazard to persons or property. However, this section does not prohibit the dropping of any object if reasonable precautions are taken to avoid injury or damage to persons or property.

Reactions: Cookie$Dough
As long as you want to go afoul of our overlords. Use explosive bolts. Get more bang for the buck.
Problem is no spare channels to send signal. But a piece of reflective foil on camera, and a sensor to see it when you point camera down could be wired up.

I'm not sure but I think DJI are missing a trick...

No trick missed.

The Phantom is a flying camera. That's what it does. To use otherwise results in trade-offs.

DJI has captured more than 50 percent of the market for consumer drone sales in the US, and (American) competitors are dropping like flies.

There's plenty of ways to do it as an enthusiast but they're not elegant because it's a closed Eco-system with no 'hooks' or 'back-doors' to 'expand' it.

Let your Phantom be your last RTF MR and build your own to do what you want it to do!
It's a blast!

As long as it would be a small payload take a piece of fishing line and make a big loop larger then the diameter of your camera and tilt the camera up slightly slide the loop over camera to your payload that you wish to drop, assign C1 or C2 to the gimbal straightforward or down. When you get over your target Press the assigned button and the gimbal will point straight down, the line will slide off and you will have dropped your payload.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

As long as it would be a small payload take a piece of fishing line and make a big loop larger then the diameter of your camera and tilt the camera up slightly slide the loop over camera to your payload that you wish to drop, assign C1 or C2 to the gimbal straightforward or down. When you get over your target Press the assigned button and the gimbal will point straight down, the line will slide off and you will have dropped your payload.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

There are numerous possibilities.

But putting load on the camera gimbal is a trade-off negatively impacting it.

Let us know how it works.

Last edited:
That's a neat idea, and you get a great view of the drop!

Don't need a spare channel, you have the ability to ignite the front arm leds during flight, so you can tie a switch into that. Thats likely what I plan to do to install some spot lights and operate them remotely without an extra remote needed.

Last edited:
Turbmeister - you are what the rest of the world thinks of when they imagine a paranoid American - no i am not a terrorist.

Thanks for the info telling me it's illegal in the US though, I did wonder.

With regards to drug smuggling I understand that the cartels now having submarines to smuggle large quantities of drugs at a whim - I'm sure they are also capable of having a bespoke dropping mechanism on a toy drone.

Seems silly for a great company like DJI from being told they can't make money from having droppers so a nerd like me can't drop water balloons on my mates.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.