Dear DJI, please fix the tilted horizon issue

Reaction score
DJI, love you guys. Not only THE best drones (sorry, UAS) but the steady improvements are very welcome. The Mavic Pro, and especially the Phantom 4 Pro and Inspire 2 updates are massive and altogether welcome! Thank you for doing such a great job. We all appreciate, also, that when something is broken you address it, firmware, software or ...

FIX THE TILTED HORIZON ISSUE!

It has existed forever and does not appear to be going away. My sources tell me it still appears on the P4P. Seriously guys, wtf?! I've personally owed 5 P4s and flown another dozen, they ALL have it; including the three I've received back from repair (in each case I received a replacement drone, not repaired).

Yes, I know about the little C2 trick - linked to an "Adjust Gimbal Roll" setting. They mostly work, mostly because it doesn't always go far enough and I've see a setting drift over time. Forget all that; Fix This At The Root of the Problem!

Here is the one I received from UPS ten minutes ago:
e9e4ba35eb29758dd55b2b2940c1dd08.jpg

This was after a Auto Gimbal Calibration on a flat surface.

Please fix this! Thank you

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

I love my P4 too. And this is really an issue I also would be happy, if it could be fixed soon! Thank you DJI!

I had a very slight tilt, but I adjusted it in-flight with the "C2/scroll-wheel" sequence. This sets the value in the Gimbal Roll Adjustment setting and it (the P4 or Go app) has always preserved that setting for me.

Are you totally current on all the software/firmware updates?

Yes, fully updated. This one had me going for a +5 adjustment, the most ever and this a brand new (1st flight) unit just shipped from them directly ("tested"). I guess a tilted horizon is ok to them :(

Yes, fully updated. This one had me going for a +5 adjustment, the most ever and this a brand new (1st flight) unit just shipped from them directly ("tested"). I guess a tilted horizon is ok to them :(

Drestin Black said:
Seriously guys, wtf?! I've personally owed 5 P4s and flown another dozen, they ALL have it; including the three I've received back from repair (in each case I received a replacement drone, not repaired).

Interesting, as most pilots here do not have this problem. Do you live near the Devil's Triangle? ;)

Have you flown any P4's anywhere distant from Detriot? Like in another state? If so, were the results the same?

Most don't? I read about it constantly. Flew it in Tobago and in Florida as well as Arkansas and upper MI. 5 P4s all have it, that I've personally owned.

If it's fixed, a non-issue, then that means I have defective units. The one that took the picture above is what I was sent as replacement from DJI Care directly. Certified as tested.

Maybe I should keep buying one, retuning it. Buy another, return it. Until the problem goes away?

Reactions: Whiskey_Throttle
I returned 2-3 birds for this and got new ones with the same problem, finally I just kept one ....Did you see the images from the new P4PRO..some of them show it as well.

Most don't? I read about it constantly.

Remember, those who experience this issue are going to be the most vocal here on this forum. Let's say this forum has 1000 members (I have no idea how many, actually). Do you think more than 500 members have experienced this? I wouldn't think so. If there are 5000 members, I seriously doubt that 2501 or more members have this issue.

Additionally, not every Phantom owner is a member here, so that brings the boosts my "Most don't" argument.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying your are not having issues, nor am I saying this issue doesn't exist. I'm just saying that it is not as widespread as it appears.

i h
Remember, those who experience this issue are going to be the most vocal here on this forum. Let's say this forum has 1000 members (I have no idea how many, actually). Do you think more than 500 members have experienced this? I wouldn't think so. If there are 5000 members, I seriously doubt that 2501 or more members have this issue.

Additionally, not every Phantom owner is a member here, so that brings the boosts my "Most don't" argument.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying your are not having issues, nor am I saying this issue doesn't exist. I'm just saying that it is not as widespread as it appears.
I have had 3 phantoms - 2 were P3 advanced, 1 pro. Struggled with horizon tilt on all 3.

Had this same problem with an OSMO. Repeatedly contacted DJI about it and they never replied a single time. I've seen lots of similar reports about the tilted horizon so it's not just you.

I totally understand that and I'm not trying to be stubborn or overly persistent but I've yet to have someone tell me they don't have the issue. You have it yourself ;)

Some may not know it's an issue. Some may simply not say anything because it's already been covered or, who knows, just shy (lurkers).

Thing is; it definitely exists, brand spanking new units after 8 months of manufacture have it; if we don't make enough noise it won't be addressed. And "fixing" it with a trick isn't the solution. I mean, just look at your drone, turn it on, watch that camera do its sad sad tilt :/ I had a kid ask me once, is it supposed to do that? Awww man!

I've found one interesting way to correct it on my P3P. First I will level it out, then do 3 or 4 360 in one direction, stop and do the same thing in the other direction. have no idea why but this seems to hold it pretty good for a half dozen flights

I totally understand that and I'm not trying to be stubborn or overly persistent but I've yet to have someone tell me they don't have the issue. You have it yourself ;)
I'm with ya, man! :cool:

However, I think there are multiple issues here.
  1. Slight gimbal tilt from factory (or after firmware update). Fixable with adjustment
  2. Drastic gimbal tilt to which adjustment range is not enough
  3. Same as #1 above, but the adjustment doesn't persist
I had issue #1 and I suspect this is widespread, as it seems logical since no gimbal is perfect. A one-time quick adjustment and all is well. Problem solved.

It sounds like you have #2 and #3 and I definitely would be vocal if I experienced these. :mad:

I can confirm that the tilted horizon issue persists on the Phantom 4 Pro - just view any of the reviewer videos - they ALL have it. Not just one or two, but every single one. I exchanged e-mail with two folks who've flown them and they confirm; outta the box it's the same. Tilted; some only a little and some a lot more.

I am currently experiencing #2 - so much tilt that I can only just barely adjust to nearly, but not quite, level. It's been my experience that over time the adjustment needs to be increased but I can't document that very well right now.

Simple fact: There is an issue with the gimbal; it's impossible that DJI doesn't know about it, they are not fixing it (or even addressing it, that we know of). Time for us to be squeaky wheels!

Since the new p4p has a new gimbal system, do you think it's still going to have this problem?

Same here. On my 5th phantom now. All had it. Haven't tested my latest one yet, but my last one was really really bad

Wow! Those are to the point of being unusable. I would be returning that unit.

What bothers me even more is when you get a factory repaired or refurbished unit, one that's been tested by a tech by hand, it still has this issue. That's means it's being ignored.

What what happen if we all started returning, within the initial warranty period (heck, the same day!) unit after unit after unit.

Head to the Apple Store, buy 10, return all 10. Think that'd finally get their attention to fix it?

We know that the entire unit itself knows what is level - the aircraft hovers perfectly level.
So, knowing what level is, how can the camera system not inherit and use that info? I don't get why this isn't fixable?!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic