Can’t fix gimbal motor overload! Please help!

Reaction score
Hi everyone, my Phantom 3 Pro gimbal always ends up in awkward position when I turn on the drone. I have heard that many people got same problem and they fix it by adjust the halfmoon-shaped shaft on the back of the gimbal.
I tried but it still ends up in weird position. And when drone is flying forward, if I suddenly turn left or right; the gimbal will lean.
Please give me some advice! The camera is still working great, only the gimbal has issue, and I don’t want to replace the whole camera or bring it to my local repair shop who will charge $60-70 just for diagnostic! Thank you!

*UPDATE 1: An hour ago, I turned on the drone and suddenly its position was exactly in the center, no more lean! I took the drone out for a flight test and the gimbal was working perfectly. I could rotate it all the way by controller without it being shaking or leaning like before. However, when I turned it off and turned on again, it went back to that awkward position.
I manually re-center it and turned off then on again, and the position was perfect again. So I kept turning on/off and about 7 out of 10 times, it would go to the center as it should be. Still not 10/10, but fortunately , there was no more lean at all when it was flying.
I’m pretty sure my attempt to recenter the halfmoon-shaped shaft had partially fixed it. The next step I will try is to add the missing screw and probably replace the flex cable. I really hope I can totally fix it to the point that it will always center every time I turn it on. I will keep posting the update here, hopefully who had similar problem could find it hopeful.
*NEWEST UPDATE: I took it out again for a flight test and the gimbal started leaning again at strong wind! Very disappointed indeed. But at least I know this is repairable and no need to bring it to rip-off store. I will try with other solutions that I can find. Please feel free to give me advice! Thank you all!

F721724A-01DA-4793-BB8C-291E3A7F180B.png

9E64C6AB-C318-40A1-AA12-650364BBC665.jpeg

Last edited:
Reaction score
I have done all calibration, it still remains same position. I can manually re-center it, but when it is flying, it will go back to same position anytime. If I can’t fix it by my self, I will I have to bring it to rip-off local repair store or sell it for cheap, either is a big loss to me 😞
Oh, also, I found a small nick on ribbon cable, but honestly I don’t think such a small nick can make the gimbal unstable like this

KachemakDiver

Premium Pilot
Reaction score
It doesn’t take much to damage a ribbon cable, especially if it is a aftermarket cable.
Without actually seeing what it does, I am just guessing.

Reaction score
*Update: I have found that ribbon cable is a bit damaged, and the cover on the back of the halfmoon-shaped shaft is missing 1 screw. Could one of these (or both) is the problem?
F147AE18-1F83-4521-A07E-7B16929A6C14.jpeg
C553511C-6B74-4269-BF91-9A153E6162E6.jpeg
CE01B465-AC03-4524-A73B-D86B96368EE4.jpeg
F147AE18-1F83-4521-A07E-7B16929A6C14.jpeg

KachemakDiver

Premium Pilot
Reaction score
Do you have a hobby shop in your area? Maybe a camera repair shop.its a really small diameter screw. If not, where are you located? I have a bunch of camera parts.

Reactions: agent020
Reaction score
Do you have a hobby shop in your area? Maybe a camera repair shop.its a really small diameter screw. If not, where are you located? I have a bunch of camera parts.
Thank you for your kindness, I live in Houston, Texas! I will bring it to local hobby shop, but I’m afraid that current position of the screws is already incorrect. I wish I could have another P3P in hand so that I can compare and find the exact same one.

KachemakDiver

Premium Pilot
Reaction score
Take one of the other screws out and bring with you. The screws for that cover plate are all the same size and length.

Reaction score
If you cannot locate one let me know.
Thank you so much sir! Also, I have an update about the drone! An hour ago, I turned on the drone and suddenly its position was exactly in the center, no more lean! I took the drone out for a flight test and the gimbal was working perfectly. I could rotate it all the way by controller without it being shaking or leaning like before. However, when I turned it off and turned on again, it went back to that awkward position.
I manually re-center it and turned off then on again, and the position was perfect again. So I kept turning on/off and about 7 out of 10 times, it would go to the center as it should be. Still not 10/10, but fortunately , there was no more lean at all when it was flying.
I’m pretty sure my attempt to recenter the halfmoon-shaped shaft had partially fixed it. The next step I will try is to add the missing screw and probably replace the flex cable. I really hope I can totally fix it to the point that it will always center every time I turn it on. I will keep posting the update here, hopefully who had similar problem could find it hopeful.

Reactions: KachemakDiver
Reaction score
NEWEST UPDATE: I took it out again for a flight test and the gimbal started leaning again at strong wind! Very disappointed indeed. But at least I know this is repairable and no need to bring it to rip-off store. I will try with other solutions that I can find. Please feel free to give me advice! Thank you all!

Reaction score
I agree with @KachemakDiver the ribbon cable might be it. I vote for potentiometer though, to preserve healthy opposition :p.

Pots are easy to check - measure resistance on outer contacts, while slowly rotating it. If measured resistance does a quick sudden change at some point, the resistive path is broken.

Or if the resistance is above 20k all the time - then it's completely shattered inside.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ooops!