Dear DJI, please fix the tilted horizon issue

Not sure if your posting in an effort to obtain a solution to your problem or just posting thinking DJI will rea this thread and perhaps work on correcting it on their end. If you want DJI to work on the issue, I'd recommend contacting them directly.

If you want a possible solution and correcting it within the app won't allow enough change you can also try elevating the correct side of the drone slightly and then performing the camera calibration. Once that is done, go back into the app and correct as needed.

The mechanical solution is here: Camera tilt - SOLVED

The issue is that the Roll axis on the gimbal is not locked, they don't use a grub screw and is held together by friction. I suspect this is a mechanical safety to stop the gimbal from shearing completely in the event of a crash or bump to the camera. If that shaft was locked into place, I suspect even leaving the gimbal protector in place on start up; would damage both the gimbal and the motors.
As a result it makes it very sensitive to outside forces knocking it off angle.

In terms of coming out of the factory we are talking about 0.1-3 degree tilt seen on most units, that is a practically immeasurable degree of accuracy and very difficult to get perfect, hence why they have the software which allows you to auto calibrate and manually adjust to such a fine degree.

The above fix is actually pretty easy, it takes about 10 min.
1: Bird off, battery out.
2: Gimbal holder on, (original full sized one!)
3: Remove 5 screws and cover.
4: Move circuit board exposing shaft. No need to disconnect anything.
5: Adjust with thin pliers so shaft top it horizontal and matching camera's plane.
6: Circuit board back on and check the potentiometer is lined up.
7: Repeat 4 and 5 if necessary.
8: Cover and 5 screws back on.
9: Gimbal holder off, battery in, bird on.
10: Run auto gimbal calibrate.
11: Have a cup of Tea!

Of course its much easier to just fix it in post edit.

Reactions: TrevorTron
The mechanical solution is here: Camera tilt - SOLVED

The issue is that the Roll axis on the gimbal is not locked, they don't use a grub screw and is held together by friction. I suspect this is a mechanical safety to stop the gimbal from shearing completely in the event of a crash or bump to the camera. If that shaft was locked into place, I suspect even leaving the gimbal protector in place on start up; would damage both the gimbal and the motors.
As a result it makes it very sensitive to outside forces knocking it off angle.

Of course its much easier to just fix it in post edit.

Thank you very much 4lex! There is a video on, I think, page 3 or 4 of that post that shows how to do it. It seems like this is a mechanical issue. It should have been fixed years ago. If it didn't take 3 weeks I would send mine back to get it repair under warranty. They should be fixing this. What is really pissing me off is that they sent me a replacement bird 3 weeks after I sent mine in for a minor repair. The one I sent in did not have this issue hardly at all. This one is horrible!

They claim to have tested before shipping. How did they not see this?

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl