compass error mid-flight.. now what??

@xrider,
You made a post while I was typing this...

Dang,
I think @sar104 must of had something come up, this is not normal.

I have not learned to analyze the .dat file so I I don't know if ithe file is good.

The first two members I can think of to look at the .dat file is...

@Fly Dawg and @BudWalker

Rod

@xrider,
You made a post while I was typing this...

Dang,
I think @sar104 must of had something come up, this is not normal.

I have not learned to analyze the .dat file so I I don't know if ithe file is good.

The first two members I can think of to look at the .dat file is...

@Fly Dawg and @BudWalker

Rod

This is just a particularly puzzling problem and I ended up spending a lot of time, unsuccessfully unfortunately, trying to find any useful correlations.

Reactions: RodPad
Well I'm slow at typing....
So did @sar104.... ;)

Rod

@RodPad See post # 62....Ditto...

imu & compass are calibrated.. values are continusly changing.. mod gyro is 0 .. acc is 1.00 and compass around 1500 .. no errors are reporting when on the ground.. and yes ive switched to atti mode as there was a huge compass error and the drone was flying away from me.. so.. what could be the cause of imu failure midflight??

Do you see anything here?
Not at the time . It was over a month ago. Looked for a while and didn't see anything obvious.

Right - but I meant in the DAT file that the OP posted yesterday.
No. I have not looked at the .dat at all. I will though. Although Im quite sure you have thoroughly reviewed it.

imu & compass are calibrated.. values are continusly changing.. mod gyro is 0 .. acc is 1.00 and compass around 1500 .. no errors are reporting when on the ground.. and yes ive switched to atti mode as there was a huge compass error and the drone was flying away from me.. so.. what could be the cause of imu failure midflight??

I'm really not sure. Unfortunately the P3 doesn't have redundant IMUs, so it's very hard to know which data are wrong.

the only that i can understand is that it almost flew away.. i know the pain of loss.. and i really dont wanna live it again.. only questions are; what do i do from now on?? change compass and pray to be that the cause of the "yaw error" or what??

the only that i can understand is that it almost flew away.. i know the pain of loss.. and i really dont wanna live it again.. only questions are; what do i do from now on?? change compass and pray to be that the cause of the "yaw error" or what??
You have two of the best guys that I know, looking at your posts, I'm not one of them.

Rod

the only that i can understand is that it almost flew away.
Without looking at the .dat file are your recollections of the flight accurate? You mentioned switching to ATTI. However, it looks like the aircraft had already auto switched before you toggled the RC to ATTI. That may not mean much, but I don't think that I have seen a manual switch following an auto-switch.

you re right.. it switched in atti mode because of "compass error" and was flying away.. meaning no failsafe to me.. no rth.. i did that to prevent the worst scenario of losing it.. i switched to atti mode to bring it back to me and land it.. if you see at the log.. when i pressed autolanding when gps mode was back.. it flipped again in atti mode because compass error was back.. it couldnt make even an autolanding so.. i switched again in atti mode to land it safely..

i switched to atti mode to bring it back to me and land it..
You didn't need to switch it manually. It will fly the same. You most likely would have in and out Nav Health as the data shows but you would have been able to fly it back either way. I am not sure that the manual switch was or wasn't an issue. It should not have been, but as I mentioned I have not seen one set of data that initialized an auto switch and then the OP manually switches. It is a conundrum, if you will.

@sar104 Have you seen the above before? I don't recall seeing a manual switch after an auto switch. Could that lead to a conflict of some sort?

@xrider Hmmm....if you are attempting to create data overload you are doing an excellent job. ( Kidding )...;)
I have been looking at your first post data from the .original log file. That should have been posted as FLY0070.dat for that flight. Your second flight posted is FLY0142.dat, which you did post the correct .dat for. I have been looking at FLY0142 in comparison to the original .txt log post for over an hour and just realized after attempting an overlay that it is the wrong flight.
Can you post the .dat file from the original flight? FLY0070? Yes, my fault on that but can we get a bit more specific on the data involved here?

"Electricity is really just organized lightning"

Dude, I like it!

That statement, OMG, believe or not that changed my Personal Respect of you.;)

Rod

"Electricity is really just organized lightning"
You do realize who made the quote don't you.....;) And if you have to "Google" it. That doesn't count.

Without looking at the .dat file are your recollections of the flight accurate? You mentioned switching to ATTI. However, it looks like the aircraft had already auto switched before you toggled the RC to ATTI. That may not mean much, but I don't think that I have seen a manual switch following an auto-switch

you re right.. it switched in atti mode because of "compass error" and was flying away.. meaning no failsafe to me.. no rth.. i did that to prevent the worst scenario of losing it.. i switched to atti mode to bring it back to me and land it.. if you see at the log.. when i pressed autolanding when gps mode was back.. it flipped again in atti mode because compass error was back.. it couldnt make even an autolanding so.. i switched again in atti mode to land it safely..

I don't think so - it looks like it was the RC mode switch. There is no mention of the FC switching:

187.058 : 11632 [Ctrl<1>] REQ_RC_NORMAL ATTI ctrl_atti
195.558 : 12057 CTRL reset all by rc mode switch
195.598 : 12059 CTRL reset all by rc mode switch
195.918 : 12075 CTRL reset all by rc mode switch

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spicehub