compass error mid-flight.. now what??

I personally liked The Jetsons more than the Flintstones. Although Wilma was pretty dang hot...
Just sayin
Dude, I over looked the Wilma part!
You are SICK!

I thinking Betty and Barney. ;)

Rod

It can be something as simple as launching over a water meter. I tried yesterday to launch from a flat water meter pad and either the metering device itself or something inside that concrete box caused an immediate compass error.
Here in my neighborhood, at least the last 10 years they have a device that is usually seen on the box cover they run a detector like for metal and capture the data.

So yeah, anything related to water containment is going to have APP. (Anti-Phantom Properties).

APP..?

@LuvMyTJ Your Thoughts!

;) :)o_O:cool:

Rod

Last edited:
What, I'm still thinking B&B.. ;)

@xrider
Did you get your questions answered?
You had @Meta4 and @sar104 respond to your thread!

Rod

Reactions: Shoot4fun
Including the stainless steel screws, a lot less then normal steel, but also them can have/keep a little bit of magnetism.

Go find a magnet ... grab a stainless steel screw and see what you get ... very few forms of Stainless Steel are subject of magnetics to any practical effect. Especially when most St St found is of the 300 series ...

As to the other screws - most of those are out by the motors ....

Still not convinced.

Go find a magnet ... grab a stainless steel screw and see what you get ... very few forms of Stainless Steel are subject of magnetics to any practical effect. Especially when most St St found is of the 300 series ...

As to the other screws - most of those are out by the motors ....

Still not convinced.

A perfect opportunity for a simple experiment. Take a couple of strong magnets and place them overnight next to the two compasses on your Phantom. Then see if the compasses are still in calibration in the morning.

Reactions: RodPad
A perfect opportunity for a simple experiment. Take a couple of strong magnets and place them overnight next to the two compasses on your Phantom. Then see if the compasses are still in calibration in the morning.
I can save you the trouble... I did this Unintentionally not too long ago. Had a few N52 neodymium magnets on my work bench as I was working on my P3S. Took me a while to figure out what fuzzed its compass so bad. I repeated it just to make sure that was the cause. It was...

Now I'm not saying the screws can have enough magnetism to throw the compass off, but 1-1/4"x1/4" neodymium magnets most assuredly can!

@sar104, They were. I moved the drone after repair, but it sat with a few inches of several high powered magnets for several hours. The next day, when I tried a test flight after some tinkering is when noted the compass error. It took me over an hour to find the source, recalibrate the compass and get back in the air. Afterward, I wanted to recreate it to make sure that was what caused the issue so I placed the a/c back on the bench for a few hours in the same spot. It caused the same compass error. So yes, magnets will screw your compass up, even after removing them from the area. Been there. Done that. Didn't get a T shirt though... ?

@sar104, They were. I moved the drone after repair, but it sat with a few inches of several high powered magnets for several hours. The next day, when I tried a test flight after some tinkering is when noted the compass error. It took me over an hour to find the source, recalibrate the compass and get back in the air. Afterward, I wanted to recreate it to make sure that was what caused the issue so I placed the a/c back on the bench for a few hours in the same spot. It caused the same compass error. So yes, magnets will screw your compass up, even after removing them from the area. Been there. Done that. Didn't get a T shirt though... ?

OK - then you did the experiment. The result was as expected. It would be interesting to know precisely what became magnetized, but it's doesn't change the result, which confirms that something one the aircraft, close enough and strongly enough to the compasses to affect them, became magnetized. Good work. Question answered.

I am not that stupid .... that is pure daft !!

Now I'm not saying the screws can have enough magnetism to throw the compass off, but 1-1/4"x1/4" neodymium magnets most assuredly can!

No surprise at all ...

Well, thank you for that...
I'm sure he was talking about doing it on purpose... which is of course different than doing it by accident.

Sounds like you worked your way through the problem and came out just fine on the other end - good job

Assess
Adapt
Inprovise
Overcome
Oooraaah!

I'm sure he was talking about doing it on purpose... which is of course different than doing it by accident.

Sounds like you worked your way through the problem and came out just fine on the other end - good job

Assess
Adapt
Inprovise
Overcome
Oooraaah!
Semper Fi bean!

That's Mr. bean! :D:D:D
I bow before your greatness and grovel at your feet...Mr. bean!
images.jpg

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31