compass error mid-flight.. now what??

Reaction score
hello everyone..

i have recently expirienced a compass (yaw error) mid-flight and.. switched to atti mode to regain control.. or whatever it had left of it.. drone is ok but.. before i fly with it again i really.. really need to know what on earth had happened up there.. log file is .. if anyone knows.. please help me understand what is goin on.. i really dont wanna lose my little friend..

thanks in advance

Recent Stuff...
Yesterday... ;)

Rod

i have recently expirienced a compass (yaw error) mid-flight and.. switched to atti mode to regain control.. or whatever it had left of it.. drone is ok but.. before i fly with it again i really.. really need to know what on earth had happened up there.. log file is .. if anyone knows.. please help me understand what is goin on.. i really dont wanna lose my little friend..
The most common cause of the situation shown in your recorded flight data is launching from a magnetically dirty area.
Reinforced concrete surfaces are often the cause but launching from close to other steel items can also cause this.
Can you describe the surface you powered up and launched from?
You were lucky the difference between north and the angle your Phantom initialised at was not large.
Many yaw error situations are unrecoverable.

The most common cause of the situation shown in your recorded flight data is launching from a magnetically dirty area.
Reinforced concrete surfaces are often the cause but launching from close to other steel items can also cause this.
Can you describe the surface you powered up and launched from?
You were lucky the difference between north and the angle your Phantom initialised at was not large.
Many yaw error situations are unrecoverable.
Another common magnetically dirty area that people are always tempted to use is their car hood. That never works well for me lol

Reactions: Shoot4fun
Metal plate in the head... Wouldn't that just suck?
"Can't fly me drone cuz this har rusted plate betwixt me ears is fuzzin up the internal gutses of the lil darlin...?"

Reactions: RodPad
It can be something as simple as launching over a water meter. I tried yesterday to launch from a flat water meter pad and either the metering device itself or something inside that concrete box caused an immediate compass error.

Reactions: RodPad
Use (buy) a demagnetizer to clean your Phantom.

Over time there have been various discussions about such item ... and no-one has ever answered the simple question posed by many including myself :

What items on the Phantom are capable of being magnetised apart from the motors ? I can find no steel or soft iron for this.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl