Compass error mid flight after firmware update

mkr

Reaction score
Hello everybody

Let me start by saying I have searched this forum for a solution for this problem but haven't found anything.

I bought a Phantom 3 Pro and flew it for a few days without any errors, before I had the opportunity to update the firmware.

After the firmware update I encountered a compass error during flight and it switched to Atti mode and therefore started to drift. After some seconds it switched back to GPS mode.

I have done many compass calibrations but the error persists.

I have also done a IMU calibration today because I didn't do it after the update.
The warmup time has increased quite a bit after this though. (Did a compass calibration again but error again)

The compass mod number is around 1450 to 1550.

I hope someone has the solution to this annoying problem :)

Yes, I calibrated in various areas. Most of them in the countryside, in two areas I had electrical wires 1km away but the first location was before the update and there was no problem.

I have also driven 100km to another location (visiting my parrents) and alle is the same, compass error.

I also made sure to not have keys or anything else nearby, and the remote about 2 meters away.

Sent from my SM-G935F using PhantomPilots mobile app

I haven't owned it for long so wouldn't say I have a routine.

But I just turn it on and let it acquire GPS and then calibrate the compass. I hold the aircraft and rotate it around it's own axis by walking around and holding the aircraft in the same position.

If that's what you mean?

Sent from my SM-G935F using PhantomPilots mobile app

Yea i am a he ;)
But I do follow the in app instruction and first calibrate with the camera horizontal end then the same rotation with the camera pointing vertical.

Probably wasn't clear in the other post.

Thank you anyway, I do not however calibrate before every flight but I get the error even if I calibrated before the flight.

I have been getting compass error since the latest update firmware 1.9.60 in p mode and when I take off it tends to wander on it's own even tho I have 19 sats showing gps. It never done this before this update.

I also blame the firmware, but I don't know which one as I updated from v1.3.20 to 1.9.60 and then the error showed up.

I just downgraded to v1.8.80 but it is too late now to take a flight.
Also you can only downgrade one version at a time, so in order to go back you would have to go through all of them.
They can not be found at DJIs website so it is probably not possible to downgrade further.

I just tried out with the older firmware v1.8.80 but same error and then after a second or two it regains control of itself.

I also blame the firmware, but I don't know which one as I updated from v1.3.20 to 1.9.60 and then the error showed up.

I just downgraded to v1.8.80 but it is too late now to take a flight.
Also you can only downgrade one version at a time, so in order to go back you would have to go through all of them.
They can not be found at DJIs website so it is probably not possible to downgrade further.

Why did you upgrade? Some would love to be on v1.3.2.

There is Battery updates that must be done, as well as the R/C need it's firmware updated if you are going to the more recent versions. I have made it a habit to calibrate everything after doing any firmware update. There are times when ESC's and other part settings have changed and calibrating is a good follow up.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that a common mistake some are making during compass calibrating is between the two rotating processes. The mistake is when completing the 1st 360 degree rotation some users get confused between the OK green light, and the Home Point being saved which is also a green light.
So in other words, you fail the 1st part of the compass calibration can fail and you see a brief yellow light, and then a blinking green lights appears with audio stating Home Point has been saved.

Last edited:
I don't really know why I upgraded and now I know I shouldn't have done that but it is too late now. Probably just because it is normal to upgrade after opening the box.

The calibration is good though as I Fotheringhay follow the lights on the aircraft and the onscreen illustrations.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic