Can't take off level- drone tips over

Reaction score
I'm working with a problem child P4 Pro. It had a vision error but I was able to clear that by recalibrating.
Now it idles fine, but when I try to take off, it tips over backwards. I double checked the props, and it did the same thing. (brand new DJI props today).
Then I swapped both props from front to back and back props to front. It still idles fine, but if I apply any up stick, it starts leaning backwards like it'll tip over.
I'm refreshing the firmware right now, then I'm gonna go through all the calibrations in DJI Assistant. Other suggestions?

remote calibration? sounds like thrust equalization needs attention

I'm refreshing the firmware right now
Refreshing firmware will do nothing for your issue. Unless it is the immaculate recovery. Supply a little data and/or a bit more detail we might be able to see what the issue is. Just going by verbiage alone does not help much. It is all guessing. Even a short video clip would be helpful.

After calibrating the vision system 3 times, it isn't keeping. I finished step 1 of 3, but then finishing step 2 and before beginning step 3, the visual calibration is bad again and it starts me over. I got nothing invested in this one, I'm gonna give it back. Thanks for your input.

Reactions: skymonkey
After calibrating the vision system 3 times, it isn't keeping.
Its not likely the vision system that is causing the issue. Its more likely the Positioning system. Which is why I mentioned turn the VPS off and see if that rectifies the issue. Personally, I keep mine off. It is much easier to control during landing without it. Just IMO.

Thanks Fly Dawg... after speaking with the seller, he refunded my money, and then offered me the drone back at half price. I can make more than that parting it out, but I'd rather be abvle to fly it. I'm gonna fire it back up and look through the menus to find the VPS setting. Thanks!!

Last edited:
OK, that was marginally better. I turned off VPS, and I don't have any errors when I start DJO Go. I idled it and it looked good. I barely increased the throttle, and it seemed stable and willing to fly. I gave it a little more up stick and it lifted maybe 12-18 inches and then quickly toppled onto its left side. That's new, since yesterday it wanted to flop over backwards.
Upside is, I now have the prettiest weedeater in town. ;)

I'm gonna recharge the battery while I look for my next diagnostic option.

I'm gonna recharge the battery while I look for my next diagnostic option.
Your next option would be to pull the .dat file from the aircraft so we can see what is going on with things. To do this see the link below. Once you have the file, you will need to upload that to a sharable location such as drop box, google drive etc...and share a link back here to that such that we can analyze the data and possibly find the issue. See the link below to get the aircraft file:

Retrieve Dat File

Reactions: FTL900
Looks like it's better to get the DAT file from the drone and not the tablet??
I'm charging the drone battery now, instructions say I'll need at least 50% battery.

Based on size, I'm pretty sure this is the aborted flight file. I tried to open it in Notepad, but that didn't end well.
laugh6.gif

FLY088.DAT

Based on size, I'm pretty sure this is the aborted flight file.
This doesn't appear to be the correct .dat. There is no motor start data. If you can upload your .txt log from your device to this link, I can give you the correct .dat file for the flight. The aircraft files are tricky at times to find the correct one. Share a link back here to that once uploaded. Log Viewer

I've deleted that file from Google drive and uploaded several to Air Data. Based on what I found there, this one has 12 seconds of engine run time and a max speed of 4mph so this one should be it. Thanks!!

FLY089.DAT

Looking at the flight info in Air Data, I found this... looks like a motor problem. Is there any way to tell which motor?

Attachments

• Image3.png
    Image3.png
    14.2 KB · Views: 279
Looking at the flight info in Air Data, I found this... looks like a motor problem. Is there any way to tell which motor?

The motor obstruction is after it tips over. This is a common problem - you cannot take off like that. It requires full throttle to lift the aircraft off the ground. Anything less - and you gradually applied half throttle, and this is an almost inevitable result:

Graph0.png

Reactions: Jim Canada
Thanks, I appreciate your input. I'm reluctant to do a full power launch when I've only seen it go sideways.... would a hand launch work well?
I'm thinking then I could feel if it was pulling sideways before releasing it. I'm kinda casting about for inexpensive
flamethrower.gif
(crashless) ways to test it.

Thanks, I appreciate your input. I'm reluctant to do a full power launch when I've only seen it go sideways.... would a hand launch work well?
I'm thinking then I could feel if it was pulling sideways before releasing it. I'm kinda casting about for inexpensive
flamethrower.gif
(crashless) ways to test it.

No really - always apply full throttle then release once airborne. That always works.

Reactions: Jim Canada
That's how I normally take off with everything else, I'm just hesitant to have this fall from higher than needed until I trust it a little more.
headscratch.gif

I'll head to a park or playground or out of town tomorrow where I have more space... my back yard isn't very big when it comes to flight testing, only 10x40 feet.
I'll report back tomorrow... thanks!!

That's how I normally take off with everything else, I'm just hesitant to have this fall from higher than needed until I trust it a little more.
headscratch.gif

I'll head to a park or playground or out of town tomorrow where I have more space... my back yard isn't very big when it comes to flight testing, only 10x40 feet.
I'll report back tomorrow... thanks!!

Catch 22 then. That tentative takeoff technique almost guarantees that it will tip over.

I'm guessing you're probably right... I'll take it someplace where I'm less likely to hit something and go all full military on the take-off.

Hand hold it power on and throttle up and you will be able to feel if it wants to tip or go straight up. When this happened on a P2 it was a cable in the NAZA that was in the wrong way, worst case is that someone has wired a motor up the wrong way resulting in an incorrect thrust

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20