Can't connect through camera...

Ok
Here is a breakdown of a fc200 p2v non-plus camera

View attachment 63778

This is a picture with top plate, and rear cover removed! From here out boards are in order top to bottom ( even though camera is upside-down ) top board #1 board, bottom #4! Ect.

Ok
1st thing you remove are the 2 screws holding the camera lens unit and board on. Located 1 each side of camera base, Phillips screws. ( must lift clip on board #1 to remove ribbon cable )
Camera lens unit
View attachment 63779

Ok now remove 4 small Phillips screws ( 1 on each corner of board )
Carefully pry board straight upwards to unlock, and set aside.
Board #1 camera board
View attachment 63780
View attachment 63781

Next remove 2 small Phillips screws opposite side of board #2, ( power board ) carefully pry up and away ( be extremely careful with this board, as the cooling fan leads attach to it, and can break easily ) gently lay over the side of camera for now.
Board 2 ( I removed fan, fan good, board is bad ) but only for picture purpose
View attachment 63782
View attachment 63783

Ok
Next is board #3 ( culprit )
This requires a small flat screwdriver, as they are special screws, remove 2 post screws, pry board up and away!

Board #3 ( this is board that fries )
I believe the processing board?
View attachment 63784
View attachment 63785

Ok
You should not need to go further, but if you do,
Remove 2 Phillips holding metal housing into camera top shell, remove housing with board #4 attached
Turn over, remove the 4 Phillips screws holding board #4 to housing
( take special note, if you SEPERATE this board, you'll need thermal paste for reassembly, goes between IMU/housing , you'll see the white dot )

Board #4 ( wifi board )
View attachment 63786
View attachment 63787

Hope this helps!

J Dot
:cool:

I'm on the same page as you. It appeals that my third board is bad. I have no live view, but everything else seem fine. Works with RE-500 and RE-700 but no live feed. in app. records video and pictures. It died in case (in case for only 2 months.) I did notice video feed going in and out sometimes or if I change the tilt of the camera. {camera has a gimbal}. But DJI has a problem with keeping live view anyway. Its seem to change depending on where you flying. So it didn't seem to be a big deal. I have no problem with wi fi connection between camera and extender unit. I verify camera output with wi fi analyzer app. That's why I'm trying to get board 3. Thanks Any pictures of a bad board 3 like burn parts or something? After looking @ the boards again those View attachment 63785 have burnt parts on it I think? . If so mines has no burnt parts.

Last edited:
No,
I inspected closely, no visible damage at all, but when I swap the boards, BAM, everything works!
( I'm assuming internal failure, or non visible component failure? )
I've looked through a high intensity magnifying glass, that makes things HUGE, but no visible damage, burnout, broken circuits?

Like board one ( top board in pictures ) if this board goes bad, it will continuously say " UNABLE TO CONNECT TO DJI NETWORK ".when you try to connect phone to extender! So each board seems to cause a SEPERATE problem in app!
Wifi board will give a similar notice, unable to find DJI network, or something like that! I've not seen board 2 go bad, but have found a bad fan, physically bad, could not manually spin blades, I soldered a new fan on and all was good, so board was also good! Honestly most have been board 3! Too bad we cannot find a shop that can manufacture an aftermarket part! Or DJI offer replacement boards! I'd gladly purchase them!

Maybe one day, we will hit the jackpot!

J Dot

Reactions: dirkclod
No,
I inspected closely, no visible damage at all, but when I swap the boards, BAM, everything works!
I've looked through a high intensity magnifying glass, that makes things HUGE, but no visible damage, burnout, broken circuits?

Like board one ( top board in pictures ) if this board goes bad, it will continuously say " UNABLE TO CONNECT TO DJI NETWORK ".when you try to connect phone to extender! So each board seems to cause a SEPERATE problem in app!
Wifi board will give a similar notice, unable to find DJI network, or something like that! I've not seen board 2 go bad, but have found a bad fan, physically bad, could not manually spin blades, I soldered a new fan on and all was good, so board was also good! Honestly most have been board 3! Too bad we cannot find a shop that can manufacture an aftermarket part! Or DJI offer replacement boards! I'd gladly purchase them!

J Dot
Thanks for the info. By the way I think one of my friends just move to your area. He says he's about 50 miles south of Tampa. I'm a retired EE engineer form GM 38 years is enough. I can fly but if I switch camera I lose all quad data while flying. One final question can that extender work with a go pro to increase wi fi range.

That is cool,
Great to hear another pilot in the area! :)

Now if these late afternoon rains would cease, we'd be ok! Also turn the furnace off, would be s plus!o_O

Now about the GoPro, man, I have no idea, never looked into the GoPro scene, I understand how it all works, I'm just not sure if the onboard transmitter, can link to extender?
I believe using gopro's wifi is a NO, NO!

You might have to look that up? I'm sure if it can be, or has been done, it will be on here, or YouTube somewhere? Sorry, wish I could help more! Just never messed with them!

J Dot

Now about the GoPro, man, I have no idea, never looked into the GoPro scene, I understand how it all works, I'm just not sure if the onboard transmitter, can link to extender?

you cant use the gopro as the binding process fills in the start of the MAC address so im assuming its hard coded to be only useable with DJI MAC address, ive seen threads on here about hacking the RE unit but none mentioned changing the way it auto looks for a specific MAC prefix, you may be able to rewrite the openWRT software and do it that way though.

I believe using gopro's wifi is a NO, NO!

Jerry he could use the WIFI surely, its 2.4ghz the same as the quads camera, its just the P2 he couldnt as the TX is 2.4ghz.

Reactions: dirkclod and J Dot
No,

J Dot
Hey J-Dot have you ever run across Fc200 camera that has stop working because of a firmware update?

Not firmware update,
But in vision app version ( 1.0.56 )
In app forced an extender update, which ultimately burns out board 3.
( vision plus, burns out gimbal mainboard )!
But what is weird, is after upgrade ( I believe to allow extender to carry wifi, and cell network connection at same time ) extender is good, and If you repair or replace camera, works just fine? So problem is IN the update!
That is why I wrote the how to revert any app thread! So you could go back before the upgrade! But now they have updated the app as a fix! Unfortunately those who suffered burnout ( well out of warrantee ) are forced to pay for repair! Bummer, this is why I wish they would offer replacement boards! Much cheaper than a new camera unit! Hope this helps!

CRASH
good to know info, for sure!
Thank you!

J Dot

J Dot, have you since updated to 1.0.56 since fixing a camera?? I'm now had my egg repaired by Dji themselves but am still running 1.0.48! Will installing the new update fry my boards again or is it all ok!? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

I found ( with help from GunSlinger ) ,
His burnt after range extender update, so I sent him a new camera ( same extender and same version app,new camera worked great and still working today!
So I've come to the conclusion the update itself ( the process of updating ) burns out the board! But now his has been updated, new camera works like a champ! I believe 1.0.56 is the corrupted version of iOS app, newer or older should be fine! Just stay away from 1.0.56.they should have removed it, but it is still there!:rolleyes:

J Dot

In the future,
If app ever asks you to update extender DO NOT!
Close app and try a different version!

J Dot

Think I'll stick with your advice then and stay with 1.0.48! If it works then why change it! Have had that 56 update sitting on my iPhones updates for ages now! Dji said they replaced a board or two but weren't to specific about what they did, I do know I have a new MAC address on my egg so they've changed some of the insides! But working a treat now! The bloody thing won't hover in the same spot now though so not sure what they've done with it, seems to keep going in the direction of the last input! Will need to recalibrate the gyro and take it from there! Thanks for your help, much appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Yes
I'd recommend a fresh IMU calibration, followed by a fresh compass calibration. Should help cure the drifting issue, put a piece of glass across all 4 motor shafts, level all directions, once stable and completely level ( on wooden table if avail ) do the IMU cal.

J Dot

Hey J-Dot do you think it's OK to buy a used Fc200 camera? Remember mine died. It burned out board 3, no FPV everything else worked fine.

Hey BigManTony,
Yes should be just fine. As our friend, Gunslinger, had same issue ( after extender update, so he put a new camera on the updated extender, and it worked just fine. ) so it seems the damage is caused by the update itself.

I've fixed severa board 3 cameras, and they work fine after new board installed, but board 3's are super hard to find anymore, I have most likely 6 extra of every board, except 3, lol. Wish I could find someone who could remake the board ( aftermarket ) I'd buy 100 of them.
Same with wifi modules, if I could make an aftermarket version, no more problems. I believe the problem is in the firmware, as DJI uses different codex than most. But this is all BEYOND. My ability, right now. I mostly parts swap, unless I can see physical damage, which I try to fix.

But honestly, you should be just fine ( just do not update extender in the future )

J Dot

Hi J Dot. LTNS Gunslinger!...just read your's and Gunslinger's posts about the camera video issue.

Fired up my Vision /w Rotorpixel today after several weeks, ...same problem! (hardly use the thing, maybe twice in the last year. It's had the same revisions on the quad and tablet app for almost 2 years.
nothing has been updated or changed recently. But it has been slow to connect video in the past.

...Telemetry and GPS /sats etc,....all being sent to tablet...but no video when the shutter opens. Tried lowest settings, reboots, i updated the app and mb to most current version, went ahead a reinstalled the 1.19 firmaware for the camera....still no video :(

May consider selling my entire Vision setup, with case if i can't get this working at a reasonable cost.

Do you believe it's a board inside the camera?... and can they be purchased?.... please let me know.

Phantom Vision is getting pretty long in the tooth. I hardly use mine, but i do have some opportunities coming up, that i could dust it off again. Anyway, let me know what you think my problem may be.

Thank you for your time. RCRookie

Hello RCRookie,
The boards are not avail, but there are alternatives.

I usually scout my local repair shops, and camera repair shops ( believe it or not, a lot of them work on phantoms ) anyhow, the name is misleading, if you break it down.

REPAIR SHOPS, is a bit misleading
No one actually REPAIRS the camera, they PARTS SWAP. So do not be fooled, ( Well there might be a handful, that actually repair circuits, but I'm sure not many.)
This being said, most, in a crash situation,The repair shop will simply put a new camera on and send it back, while broken, or damaged camera goes into a bin, or garbage. So to me, this is a GREAT resource, as most could care less about the broken cameras, and will give, or let them go cheap, ( crashes are the best, as 99% of the time, the internals are still good, just a broken casing, or lens, or mount, ect, but boards are good. )

So I'd try this first, to acquire a working board 3.

Next,
Ask members here, someone may have some parts or damaged camera that can be used to fix yours?
( this can be hit or miss ) but you never know?

Lastly
I have a friend, who has any parts you need, as well as a whole new camera?
I'm not 100% sure, how he'd feel about parting one out? But might be worth a shot? Or he might have a new camera cheap?

Mike Holt
530-277-5366
( be courteous of the time difference, he is in California ) and is 3 hours behind me. But he is a great guy, and give great deals, and backs his parts 100%. He just might part one for you, for board 3?
Can't hurt to ask.

Hope this helps
J Dot

Hello RCRookie,
The boards are not avail, but there are alternatives.

I usually scout my local repair shops, and camera repair shops ( believe it or not, a lot of them work on phantoms ) anyhow, the name is misleading, if you break it down.

REPAIR SHOPS, is a bit misleading
No one actually REPAIRS the camera, they PARTS SWAP. So do not be fooled, ( Well there might be a handful, that actually repair circuits, but I'm sure not many.)
This being said, most, in a crash situation,The repair shop will simply put a new camera on and send it back, while broken, or damaged camera goes into a bin, or garbage. So to me, this is a GREAT resource, as most could care less about the broken cameras, and will give, or let them go cheap, ( crashes are the best, as 99% of the time, the internals are still good, just a broken casing, or lens, or mount, ect, but boards are good. )

So I'd try this first, to acquire a working board 3.

Next,
Ask members here, someone may have some parts or damaged camera that can be used to fix yours?
( this can be hit or miss ) but you never know?

Lastly
I have a friend, who has any parts you need, as well as a whole new camera?
I'm not 100% sure, how he'd feel about parting one out? But might be worth a shot? Or he might have a new camera cheap?

Mike Holt
530-277-5366
( be courteous of the time difference, he is in California ) and is 3 hours behind me. But he is a great guy, and give great deals, and backs his parts 100%. He just might part one for you, for board 3?
Can't hurt to ask.

Hope this helps
J Dot
Thanks J Dot, I'll definately be looking to replace the bad part (if i can figure out what that is) Purchasing a whole new camera at the price point, that most are wanting is not practical on 3 year old tech... Especislly in light of the P4 pro and 4k video capability. So, i guess, i'll tear into the camera today and see if i can tell which board is causing the black screen ? You mentioned board 3?...do you suspect that to be the likely culprit? What am i looking for? Black or burnt connections or solder points?

Thank you for your input and quick response.
The Rookie

No,
Usually no visual damage, but when boards are swapped it works? So most likely a fouled component somewhere!

If you look above this post ( scroll up ), I did a camera breakdown, with all boards, it was a copy of my original post, so pics are attachments , so you will have to open each one, but you will get a better idea of the insides. And what each board is and does.
But if the extander was upgraded, than board 3 is the culprit.

Good luck, and I'm glad to help if you need it. Please ask, as I move around a lot, and am sometimes hard to reach. But you can alert me by typing this @J Dot , this will send me the alert, and link to your post.

J Dot

This is a bit embarrassing being a mod here for quite a while and also being an early P2V owner... But...

I haven't flown my P2V in months. Today, I took it out of the cases, plugged everything in and everything looks great, except I'm not connecting to the camera. I'm getting telemetry and a great connect to WIFI... Just no camera feed. I have a blinking green light on the camera...

Anybody???

Thanks...
-slinger

You are not alone. it appears there are hundreds of similar cases like yours with no definite solutions. I experienced the same and am still struggling after six months.

Hi guys,
i have two FC200 cams:
the first, everything works (telemetry, photo/video, ..) all except FPV
the second show black screen and the "phantom connection broken" error.

Do you think i can repair the first one by taking out the board 3 from the second one?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj