Can someone please look at my DAT file to see why my drone wont fly straight

Reaction score
I have tried everything possible and I can't get this thing to fly straight. Calibrated the IMU, Compass, Remote, changed propellers, Calibrated gimbal, Camera seems to be looking straight.

This was my latest flight.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Sorry nobody, responded to your last post on this thread.

There was only one post by the OP. Remember you are in a different time zone than the East coast. I will get back to the OP when I can.

There was only one post by the OP. Remember you are in a different time zone than the East coast. I will get back to the OP when I can.
Huh, well all is cool.
No pressure, time zone doesn't always reflect when you are at work or play, but it does effect the property of your location.

He had posted two.dat files that are large and was my focus on this thread.

Ok, Now I get it...
You didn't click on my second link to the OP?
Let me know if I'm correct. ;)
Phantom 4 pro not flying straight possible pilot error.

Rod

@blong10 ..First, you have too many rudder inputs in this flight to clearly see drift. You need to try another flight, but this time make sure of the following: 1) Very light or no wind ( Check you local conditions and notate those ) 2) Also keep in mind that wind will increase with altitude, so lower your altitude to ~200ft or less if possible. 3) Fly up to altitude and use ONLY the elevator to fly a straight path. Do not touch the left stick for at least 30-40 seconds. 4) Following the flight, upload your .txt log from the flight to the link here: Log Viewer . Be sure to share a link to that back here.

Lastly, also upload the .dat from the flight as you did above. This way we can look at the initial transmitted data and compare that to the aircraft data for drift.

1571844412644.png

@blong10 ..First, you have too many rudder inputs in this flight to clearly see drift. You need to try another flight, but this time make sure of the following: 1) Very light or no wind ( Check you local conditions and notate those ) 2) Also keep in mind that wind will increase with altitude, so lower your altitude to ~200ft or less if possible. 3) Fly up to altitude and use ONLY the elevator to fly a straight path. Do not touch the left stick for at least 30-40 seconds. 4) Following the flight, upload your .txt log from the flight to the link here: Log Viewer . Be sure to share a link to that back here.

Lastly, also upload the .dat from the flight as you did above. This way we can look at the initial transmitted data and compare that to the aircraft data for drift.

View attachment 115178
Thank you so much for taking a look. I can do this asap. I'll upload the logs once I get these.

Reactions: Greybush and RodPad
I'm not sure if this is related or not. But when I've done a compass calibration to try to fix this issue I have to do a little more then a 360 degree turn. Not by a lot more like 364 lol

Reactions: RodPad
In that video, when you are not playing with the left stick, it appears the drone is going straight forward.

Last edited:
I'm not sure if this is related or not. But when I've done a compass calibration to try to fix this issue I have to do a little more then a 360 degree turn. Not by a lot more like 364 lol

That's Normal, it has came up a few times on the forum.

But do note the accuracy of the front of the aircraft is pointing, compared to what some call the radar map on the app.

Also, be careful when you should or shouldn't calibrate.
Some old posts, but important.

Compass Calibration, A Complete Primer

Looking for Trouble ??

Rod

No particular time. When you let the drone move forward for between 5 and 15 seconds, I do not see any problem with it's straight path. It might be easier to detect if you did not use the yaw stick so often.

In that video, when you are not playing with the right stick, it appears the drone is going straight forward.

Can
No particular time. When you let the drone move forward for between 5 and 15 seconds, I do not see any problem with it's straight path. It might be easier to detect if you did not use the yaw stick so often.

That's strange it always seems like it drifts slightly to the left for me.

360 degree turn. Not by a lot more like 364 lol
That is possible. I did notice in one section of the flight where the Mag was slightly off, but it wasn't long enough to make a definative drift determination. That is why I asked for a longer duration with only elevator inputs. If you look at the red and blue lines in the graph below, they are a few degrees off, however that doesn't mean a whole lot with all of the other inputs. They could be within tolerance, but that question I can't answer.

1571863847083.png

Would a bad compass calibration cause the drone to not fly straight?

I would think not, since you are in control, but it did make me go back at look at your other thread again.
From this post: Phantom 4 pro not flying straight possible pilot error.
"I however noticed that when I do a return to home it seems to fly straight weird enough."

When you are flying back to home, or you have activated return to home?

Rod

I would think not, since you are in control, but it did make me go back at look at your other thread again.
From this post: Phantom 4 pro not flying straight possible pilot error.
"I however noticed that when I do a return to home it seems to fly straight weird enough."

When you are flying back to home, or you have activated return to home?

Rod

Yeah i was having that issue as well. When I activate return to home on the controller it fly almost perfectly straight. Sorry if I didn't include this before I'm just so stressed over this.

To add, but Its probably not important. If RTH fly's straight, it has to be the controlling controller. ;):rolleyes:

If you have a bad compass calibration, you would begetting noticeable errors.

Your question on over 360 deg?
Maybe I do the dance to fast. I remember it being closer to 380.
I'm sure I have done it this year like, January. It is the only dance I know. :oops:

I have odd ideas, try to fly your straight line backwards?
You could try waypoint missions, I bet it would fly straight, but not solving your problem.

The P4's have two sets of compass's angles?
Does anybody know why?

I think data is your best asset.

Well enough of my rambling.......

Rod

To add, but Its probably not important. If RTH fly's straight, it has to be the controlling controller. ;):rolleyes:

If you have a bad compass calibration, you would begetting noticeable errors.

Your question on over 360 deg?
Maybe I do the dance to fast. I remember it being closer to 380.
I'm sure I have done it this year like, January. It is the only dance I know. :oops:

I have odd ideas, try to fly your straight line backwards?
You could try waypoint missions, I bet it would fly straight, but not solving your problem.

The P4's have two sets of compass's angles?
Does anybody know why?

I think data is your best asset.

Well enough of my rambling.......

Rod

I'll certainly give the controller another calibration. i'll follow this video exactly
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Is this what you would recommend. Also is there a way to completely reset the controller to forget all the previous failed calibration or once you do another calibration it fully wipes the last. Thanks

also what I can do is fly almost out of line of sight and do the RTH see if it fly's straight home. I then will try the same but me flying home to compare.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic