Phantom 4 pro not flying straight possible pilot error.

Reaction score
Hello guys I'm new to drones and the phantom series. I'm having this issue where the drone is not flying straight. I believe it's my fault see pictures below. I noticed in the Fight records that my forward motion doesn't seem to be straight and also on the map it shows I'm not flying straight by the crooked lines. Is there anyway I can lessen this or should I just practice, practice until I get better or is it a problem with the drone?

Attachments

• 20191015_190319.jpg
    20191015_190319.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 270
  • 20191015_190347.jpg
    20191015_190347.jpg
    4.9 MB · Views: 258
Is it asking you to do any calibrations? Compass? It is sounding like your remote definitely needs to be recalibrated. It’s easy to do in the Go 4 app. Watch a quick YouTube video so you are comfortable doing it, only takes a few minutes. Good luck

I don’t believe anything is wrong with you or the drone that recalibrating it won’t fix. If someone does not provide a link, it’s easy to search on YouTube to find out how. You need to know.

Without knowing the history on the ac, hard to say.
More info?

it has never been wrecked. I noticed when I'm using the controller I guess I'm not pushing it 100% straight and according to the app I guess it shows that where on the left it's 11%. Would that small of percentage show in a video it's not flying straight? I noticed it after watching a video i made. It was veering off to the left slightly.

Stick calibration is an easy process and at least will provide assurance that the controller is doing what it should.
I had a similar problem with my p4. I would calibrate sticks and it would be fine for a while but problem would come back, and i finally had calibrate every time i would fly and had trouble calibrating the left stick to go 100% to the left point . Ended up replacing left stick control and every thing is fine.

Reactions: Capt KO
Well Here we go again. I calibrated the controller, IMU, Compass and Gimbal, and this is what it's doing. I recorded my i Pad screen to show you as well as a YouTube video. Please watch and see what I mean. Sometimes the camera will suddenly drift to one direction and I think that's where its throwing it off you'll see in the video. I however noticed that when I do a return to home it seems to fly straight weird enough. Also is the DJI go app suppossed to be that blurry on video and photos when viewing live? At 15:03 you can see the drift that I'm having sometimes.

iPad screen
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Footage

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Last edited:
I see what you mean. The first time I saw the movement it looked like you were getting ready to rise and when you touched the left stick, it moved slightly before you even applied power. At the end hovering, with no stick input, the drift was obvious. As if it was still getting input from the left stick. I would suggest trying another remote if possible just to eliminate that as the problem once and for all. Again, good luck.
Might have to do what eweiberg did, replace the stick.

the first video show you doing a compass calibration. The screen indicates
nothing that points you in a direction to do that.
may I ask why?

I was doing that to see if it would help my issue before flying. I noticed it seems like the camera moves even on a flat ground sometimes until it comes to a fixed position. Mostly after yawning. I noticed after moving it side to side on my table. It seems like the camera is not in it's fixed position straight and that's why its moving on it's own. It seems like after a couple minutes it becomes stable and doesn't move until I yaw then it moves.

the first video show you doing a compass calibration. The screen indicates
nothing that points you in a direction to do that.
may I ask why?

At 15:03 on the first video I see the same thing I get with my P4 Pro Vr 2. Yawing in hover. No way to fix it I am aware of. It’s a common complaint with the P4 Vr 2 since it shipped in June of last year. Not as many P.4 Pro seem to show it.

I have opened 2 cases with DJI never got anything of value back. I did not want to send it in since the camera is perfect optically.

I just apply slight opposite stick to the yaw when it happens. Makes manual panos a real pain due to the drift if you need to shoot multiple exposure brackets. And videos as after a yaw for video pan odds are the camera will drift in the opposite direction of the yaw.

IMU calibration will help for a flight but it always starts again.

Since last firmware for the P4 Pro Vr 2 was 10/24/18 I don’t thing DJI will ever admit it’s a problem or fix it with firmware. May also be faulty hardware and as I don’t want a refurb with other issues I just live with it. It’s a real disappointment and I rarely fly the P4 Pro Vr 2 now.

Paul C

Is there anyway I can upload my DAT file or something for someone to take a look at and see whats going on?

Here is my Flight Log for that flight if anyone can look at this and see if they can see anything out of the ordinary. I can also upload the DAT file if you need it. Thank you. It seems like I'm getting the famous Yaw Drift I've seen in other forums.

Last edited:
Reactions: RodPad
Viewing the Flight Log did you notice that for example the tilted horizon "Blue Circle".

At 2m 30s its fine, at 3m 30s its not?

Rod

Viewing the Flight Log did you notice that for example the tilted horizon "Blue Circle".

At 2m 30s its fine, at 3m 30s its not?

Rod

Yeah I noticed that also and on some of my flights previously. What exactly does that mean? everything is new to me with this stuff.

It does get confusing with multiple threads.

Most of the members here that are really trying to help get irritated that the information that the OP is providing gets spread all over many threads... (The facts are spread out)

I know you will get some hits from the other thread...

I don't like bugging @Meta4
If he replies he will have a good overview just of your link.

Rod

Last edited:
I was doing that to see if it would help my issue before flying. I noticed it seems like the camera moves even on a flat ground sometimes until it comes to a fixed position. Mostly after yawning. I noticed after moving it side to side on my table. It seems like the camera is not in it's fixed position straight and that's why its moving on it's own. It seems like after a couple minutes it becomes stable and doesn't move until I yaw then it moves.
With respect to this particular issue look for the setting I’ve highlighted in the attached photo. I disabled it and was never more pleased.

1FC40CA5-A93E-4D12-88D9-C329CB9CEBAB.jpeg

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobDan