Can Someone Hijack your Bird??

Reaction score
So yesterday I get an email from a resident that lives behind me, about 200 yards through a wooded field. Says he was asking me nicely not to fly my drone over his house etc. Now long story short I'm never less then 150-200 feet when flying over he mentioned that he was asking nicely like if I didn't comply I'd have an issue.

So tonight I'm coming towards my house at 300 feet in the air and 980 feet from home. All of a sudden the I lose control of the bird and it starts landing. I fight the controls get it over the wood but overshoot my property, at this point battery getting low...11% or so...finally I get it home and land with 6%.

I immediately went in to review video. Bird is flying along and all of a sudden, turns to the left towards what looks to be a light shining up towards the drone. Then the video shows me fighting to get it back. I then look at my Healthy drone account and I find this. Check that signal error...something went wrong there and my question is what?

RQjBAFw.jpg

odmTPsx.jpg

Last edited:
I would do another test flight about the same time of day you did this one... have the camera facing where the light comes from.... see if it happens again, if so make sure your legal and notify the FAA of your flight interuptions... make sure your legal....also make sure you video the whole thing

Reactions: Michael Thompson
Keep in mind we are dealing with WiFi signal here. While it's not likely (or practical) that he has a way of "signal jamming" it IS possible. The thing is that IF he does our good friends at the FCC are going to want to have a word of prayer with him. If you want to know for sure do the same test but be sure you're shooting video in the same direction as the "flashing light" and I would NOT do it with a low battery. You got VERY lucky to say the least.

Reactions: JWH
Thanks for the responses...does the 7500 signal fluctuation tell anything or the sudden voltage drop.

You can just ask your neighbor if he saw your drone drop/act out of no where, so at leastyou can guage if he knows anything about it.Then you can offer him to fly it :)

Does you suspect the subject individual would be savvy enough to pull of some form of jamming attack? Yes it is possible. You are sharing channels 1-13 of the wifi band (and other devices which work there) so it wouldn't be difficult to rig something up to give your phantom a headache.

This may well be a co-incidence also.

How hard is it to avoid flying over his property (regardless of whether you are lawfully entitled to or not)? That would be my first consideration. Unhappy neighbours can be more of a headache than it is worth persevering with even if they are fools.

Reactions: WilliamM
I'm not sure just could be a major coincidence but I've been flying since June everyday and never a single problem. I don't fly over his house..Usually one end of his street or the other but at 2-300 feet I would assume he considers that over his house. Again this person lives behind me in another town about 200 yards away with thick woods between us. I didn't realize it was such an issue. He sent an email asking me not to fly over his yard and I wrote back telling him I wasn't and asked him to call me so I could talk with him. He didn't call. This all happened yesterday and now this today.

Here is another weird piece of data says I lost signal for 757 seconds??? That's impossible. Also notice the vear off to to the left..I was coming in straight line. Blue Circle marks the house of the person complaining about the drone. So looking at data my Signal went screwing, the battery went screwing and this says connection lost for 12 minutes.

zgM4vPh.jpg

Something is definitely whacky here. Proceed with caution!! :)

Imagine, for arguments sake, your neighbour had been playing some music at excessive volumes you don't care for for five or so minutes every day since June. It might be it got to the point that one day it just got to the you and you found it necessary to say something.

I'm sure you can come to some arrangement with him.

How does he have your email address?

Reactions: BigAl07
He emailed me from my photography email address...might have found my name and then saw my site...again I responded with I sure wasn't intending to cause a problem please call me and nothing back from him. Check the map above...I am flying over his street but not over his house..I will move from area all together but if I'm in my yard at 200 feet he's gonna see the thing..

Also keep in mind that the MEDIA has painted our hobby R/C aircraft as machines of terror, spying, and peeping toms. He's just guilty of drinking the Kool Aid.

Reactions: Lifted Chevy
Also keep in mind that the MEDIA has painted our hobby R/C aircraft as machines of terror, spying, and peeping toms. He's just guilty of drinking the Kool Aid.
Yes and based on what I read here I acted with that in mind, I was hoping he'd call and stop around so I could show him I'm not peeping in his yard, etc...but he's not gotten back to me. He said twice in the email I'm asking you kindly this time to not fly over my house...some that read it thought it had a threatening tone. I am happy to work it out but I'm not gonna stop flying.

I feel for you as I too have a neighbor that's acting like I'm spying or looking in there back yard. I went out in front of her house and hovered at 200 feet. She came out ready to scream at me and I showed her the view I see then showed her google earth. She felt dumb and apologized for over reacting. Sometimes showing someone is great medicine for curing dumbness. Oh and yes she is growing pot in her yard so that explains why she's worried haha.

Wow sorry to hear that. I been in that situation too, although it was very abusive and threatening it did take the enjoyment out of it so I really do feel for you on this one. Is there anywhere else you can fly it. I know that you should have the freedom to fly from your own yard, but some people argue that they have the freedom to not have anything hovering over them or near them. It's a catch 22 situation. Also with your email you sent, you said "call me" obviously I haven't seen the email but maybe the neighbour might have seen that as a threatening tone and its a misunderstood situation. No harm in sending an email one more time apologising for any upset caused and you would be happy to share your hobby by letting him/her try your drone . If the neighbour is still a bit hesitant and even rude, then play it safe, swallow your pride and fly the drone from a different location. Like I said I know it's about the principle... But... No one likes a ratty neighbour and who knows what they might do to get your drone out the sky. Plus... You can enjoy your hobby with out someone trying to start on you. Believe me I had that and now I fly elsewhere. The park is 30 second walk from me where I fly, but after my incident I get a bus to my next location, ironically it's much more open and more peaceful and I don't have to worry about that person being upset. Or my drone being attacked. I enjoy my hobby so much more now. No shame in wanting to fly your drone in peace without worrying about your neighbour attacking you or the drone even if you have to get a bus to the next location. [emoji2][emoji2]

Sent from my Power using PhantomPilots mobile app

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.