Camera wire loose on my P3s

Reaction score
My camera started having an intermittent issue on my last flight the other day.
Noticed the black wire, that runs from bottom of drone to the camera/gimbal, had more slack in it than usual. Took the anti-drop pins off, un-clipped the flat/ grey wire, then took the cover off from where the black wire enters/exits.
The black wire was not connected to anything. It has a push-type connector, but the "nub" the connector snaps onto, is missing.
How can this be fixed, without boxing the complete drone up and sending it out to be fixed. Can solder be used?? The contact is still there, but not enough left to clip the wire to.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. H.P.

You need to replace this antenna. I don't see it in stock anywhere.

It is a coaxial wire. Really hard to repair. The set use to cost around $20 US if you can find it. I have found that type of connectors on some old computer motherboards I have demo-ed recently. Still wouldn't know how to solder one into the old wire.

You need to replace this antenna. I don't see it in stock anywhere.
Thanks msinger. Looking at your link, the issue with mine is, in your pic, the black wire with the brass/copper end, is were I've got the issue. That end connects to the top of the camera/gimbal mount, inside a cover on the electronic board of the camera assy.. From what I can tell, the antenna is in the drone body/fuselage and it works as should. The spot, on the board, were the wire connects to, d/n have much contact area for that copper/brass connector, to connect/push on to. It looks to me, like that area has eroded away and has not left me much to make a solid connection to. That's why I asked about solder or some liquid type of solder, to secure it to the contact point.
Thanks for your reply on this. H.P.

Last edited:
That's why I asked about solder or some liquid type of solder, to secure it to the contact point.
The Phantom 3 Standard has been around for quite some time. While I've seen countless people run into this issue, I've never heard of anyone being cable to repair that cable. The only known fix has always been to replace the entire antenna.

It is a coaxial wire. Really hard to repair. The set use to cost around $20 US if you can find it. I have found that type of connectors on some old computer motherboards I have demo-ed recently. Still wouldn't know how to solder one into the old wire.
Thanks Rootman. My issue is with the camera/gimbal board. I'm trying not to have to purchase a complete camera assy., just for that issue. IF that's what I'm going to have to do, well, I'll just sell it to someone for parts. Drone's never been crashed, but, I'm not going to put $300-$400 into a camera assy., on a drone that's 7 years old. Again, thanks for your reply! H.P.

The Phantom 3 Standard has been around for quite some time. While I've seen countless people run into this issue, I've never heard of anyone being cable to repair that cable. The only known fix has always been to replace the entire antenna.
Ok, gotta ask you, the antenna, it's in the drone body, correct??
Because, if it is, my issue is inside the camera body/assy. itself, not the drone.
H.P.

the antenna, it's in the drone body, correct?
Correct. It can be replaced like this:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Correct. It can be replaced like this:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
Thanks! But, that's not my issue. Not trying to be a pita, but, it's those antenna wires that connect into the main body of the camera. There's a circuit board, that those wires connect to, in the top motor(?) assy. of the camera itself.
The "nub" on the board itself, has eroded away and the wire just barley attaches, but, not enough to were the connector will stay on, even with the little access cover in place. That's my issue. Thanks again! H.P.
ETA: here's a pic.
1616957854215.png

Last edited:
So, the connector on the end of the black cable isn't damaged? If that's the case, then you'll need to replace that board -- unless you can find someone who has the skills to repair it.

Reactions: jiminyfixit
So, the connector on the end of the black cable isn't damaged? If that's the case, then you'll need to replace that board -- unless you can find someone who has the skills to repair it.
It appears you'd be correct on this. I just found an old thread on here, and that was what was recommended. Again thanks for the help on this. H.P.

Update: Well, took the plunge and purchased a cheap Soldering Iron.
With unsteady hands (old ya know and why I was hoping for an easier/cheaper fix), soldered the connector to the board. Put it all back together, installed a battery., fired up the controller, let the bird warm-up and low and behold, got video, camera yawed side to side (small amount, as normal), and up and down.
Was not able to fly, due to high winds today, but, will give it a functional check flight when the wx cooperates,
Question for you pros. Do those antenna leads allow the camera to do it's thing, at distance/altitude (adjust yaw, change from photo to video and vise versa, or, something else? Didn't google or search the site, last minute thought.
Thanks to all, that gave me the helpful suggestions. H.P.

Update: Well, took the plunge and purchased a cheap Soldering Iron.
With unsteady hands (old ya know and why I was hoping for an easier/cheaper fix), soldered the connector to the board. Put it all back together, installed a battery., fired up the controller, let the bird warm-up and low and behold, got video, camera yawed side to side (small amount, as normal), and up and down.
Was not able to fly, due to high winds today, but, will give it a functional check flight when the wx cooperates,
Question for you pros. Do those antenna leads allow the camera to do it's thing, at distance/altitude (adjust yaw, change from photo to video and vise versa, or, something else? Didn't google or search the site, last minute thought.
Thanks to all, that gave me the helpful suggestions. H.P.
Yes, it gives you telemetry, so you can do those things.

Reactions: Hillbilly Pilot
Update #2: Wx cooperated today. Flew a couple of batt. worth of flight time and had no issues. Held alt. & pos., camera rotated up/down, recorded video and took stills. Sooooo, my shaky/old hands were able to still do the job, just like my younger days.
Looks like I dodged a bullet and didn't have to spend $300-$400 bucks on another camera (couldn't find a board) and didn't have to sell it on Ebay or some crap, as a parts drone. So, there's that.
Hopefully, tomorrow, I'll be able to put a couple of more hours of flight time in and all will go well again.
Thanks folks! H.P.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.