Best monitor/tablet for P4

Do not get the iPad Mini 2 or the generational equivalent on the Android side.
Screen brightness and chip power are "good enough" but not satisfactory.

My feedback:

I use a iPad Mini 2 Cell and the screen is not bright enough, at max brightness, even with the DJI monitor hood on a sunny day.
Also, it is not powerful enough and the video feed will drop frames or freeze at times, in particular on warm days.

I would recommend the iPad Mini 4 Cell.
Some people use bigger screens (iPad Pro???) but I personally don't find it necessary.

Important:
Also, always have a second device with DJI Go fully charged and at the ready in case the first one malfunctions while your Phantom in the air. You can then swap devices and recover control in an emergency situation.

Who says it is the least reflective? Apple don't even have OLED screens yet!

iPad Pro 9.7" Display Technology Shoot-Out

heres a quote from the article
"but it is the brightest full size production Tablet that we have seen. And even more important and impressive is that it has by far the lowest screen Reflectance of any mobile display, so its image colors and contrast in high ambient light will appear considerably better than on any other mobile display."

Thank you for finding that. From memory the iPad Pro is 40% less reflective than the iPad 2 air. Which is least reflective than the mini. Not sure how the android tablets fit in

There is a video comparing all iPad models in the sun. iPad pro was clearly the most visible.
I couldnt find it. But this is another showing vs Ipad AIR 1

iPad Pro 9.7" Display Technology Shoot-Out

heres a quote from the article
"but it is the brightest full size production Tablet that we have seen. And even more important and impressive is that it has by far the lowest screen Reflectance of any mobile display, so its image colors and contrast in high ambient light will appear considerably better than on any other mobile display."

Last edited:
Reactions: MK47
iPad mini 4 here but I feel it's so reflective, Holy smokes I can't see the app at all, got a sunshade yesterday gunna try it tomorrow. But the mini 4 rocks, got the 16 gig with wifi and cellular for the gps, not even sure if I needed all that.

I think new the iPad mini Could be the hot ticket if screen tech come across from the iPad pros. I already have a iPhone 6 Plus so I felt I needed to get the 9.7. The mini is the perfect size for a dedicated p4 monitor

Beware screen size is one thing and then you need to consider performance for working as expected. Apple wise A8 processor is recommended (case for mini 4) as can handle hardware video acceleration as per dedicated option to enable in Go App. Not exclusive of course as many other devices are also working great.

Just to highlight that performance is also recommended for best user experience.

Note also low reflective screen such as with last iDevices is highly recommended for max image quality which is a plus when flying outdoor.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Last edited:
I use the 8" samsung galaxy tab A ....$169.00 at walmart or amazon.
Really like it so far...much brighter than the Acer I used to fly with and I havent had any issues with lag.
I bought one of those and more than not. It does not connect. My samsung s7 phone always connects but the tablet usually says disconnected. Thats why Im looking for another tablet

I bought one of those and more than not. It does not connect. My samsung s7 phone always connects but the tablet usually says disconnected. Thats why Im looking for another tablet

I had a problem connecting this weekend. It turns out it was the DJI supplied usb cable doesn't plug in tight to the Galaxy.
Swapped the cable and it connects perfectly.

I had a problem connecting this weekend. It turns out it was the DJI supplied usb cable doesn't plug in tight to the Galaxy.
Swapped the cable and it connects perfectly.
I tried several cables and I get the same message at the top. It always says disconnected

Eventually someone is going to design a flight hat for drone pilots. It will have a light weight 3' long non transparent drape that extends from the top of the hat to the back of the display, providing good dark shade to see the display on bright days. When not in use the drape hangs down your back. Can you imagine how geeky that would look? It'll happen, stand by! The adrenaline of visible flight will outweigh the embarrassment of funky style. :D I could give a rats A$$ what people think, as long as I'm seeing my flight video feed. It's no worse than wearing Headplay goggles, right?

Instead of this:
upload_2016-8-19_15-43-57.png

Extend the drape on the back to this:

upload_2016-8-19_16-6-27.png

I'm LOL as I'm posting these photos.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fallguy
If you wanted an 'ANDROID' system I have found so far that my ACER 10 ONE has worked very well and it does not break the bank (under £100). I made up a custom HOOD from 'COREX' (it's like corrugated cardboard but in plastic and available in various thicknesses) this helps very much with sun glare, being a custom built job I altered the tilt of the hood to get the optimum effect for me, all in all fine.

Using the iPad Air 2 and even with sun shield on bright day is still hard to see. I like JL's hat, I ended up cutting a black t-shirt up to bridge from shield to my head but proved to award, I like to occasionally visually check on drones position. I attached an extension to the shield to bring out to my head (focal point of my glasses) and really helps, and can look up to visually check on drone if needed. You do what you gotta do.

I just bought an iPad Pro and I can tell you the screen is head and shoulders above anything else I've used. The price is high, but so is the quality. If you've got a nice setup, this is the next logical step. iPad Pro 9.7 has a TruTone display and it is literally amazing.

I use a samsung galaxy note5 phone that works flawlessly, no lag at all.
One thing to consider if u travel or hike to wear u fly is weight and bulk (u will inevitably end up in a situatoon where u carry ur gear to where u fly)
A tablet ia one more thing to carry but a phone u will be carrying anyway. Of course the screen is not as big as a tablet but its big enough and being less bulky it makes handling the controller/display easier

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik