Best monitor/tablet for P4

Reaction score
Evening All!
After losing a P3 and rendering the gimble on a P2 inoperable after a roll over on landing (I've taught myself to catch it now), I'm about to shell out the dollars needed for a P4. I'm hoping for rather less drama with the P4 as recent events have led to me being labeled, unfairly in my view, as a "quad killer"!
So I'm thinking a move to a decent sized monitor must surely help in keeping me out of trouble, instead of squinting into my 5s iphone, trying to work out what's going on.
My question is to all you pro P4 flyers out there, what to buy? I don't need another phone and my iPad 2 is probably too big and too old for the job, so any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks Guys/Gals

Reactions: Copterman
Reactions: Copterman
I use the 8" samsung galaxy tab A ....$169.00 at walmart or amazon.
Really like it so far...much brighter than the Acer I used to fly with and I havent had any issues with lag.

Reactions: Santiego
I also recommend ipad mini2, I got a cheap used/refurbished one on ebay and use it exclusively for the phantom.
Normally I hate apple and prefer android, but just for this particular purpose I find the standardized iOS may get better support by DJI and third party apps. It just works more reliable, imho (tried my android phone a couple of times and had issues with apps crashing etc), dont want to take any risks.

I also recommend ipad mini2
While the iPad Mini 2 still works just fine, the iPad Mini 4 is a better choice if it does not break the budget. It'll work better outdoors since the screen is not as reflective.

Asus ZenPad 7, $93
Asus ZenPad 8, $129
Asus ZenPad S8, $159 (same as Retina display)
Asus ZenPad 10, $179 (just fits in holder)
nVidia K1 Shield, $199 (fast, HDMI out)

I also recommend ipad mini2, I got a cheap used/refurbished one on ebay and use it exclusively for the phantom.
Normally I hate apple and prefer android, but just for this particular purpose I find the standardized iOS may get better support by DJI and third party apps. It just works more reliable, imho (tried my android phone a couple of times and had issues with apps crashing etc), dont want to take any risks.

Almost forget the venerable Nexus 7 (2013). Manufactured by Asus for Google, these are no longer in production but can be found used (sometimes new) at good prices. Like the ZenPad S8, the Nexus 7 (2013) has an ultra high rez display.

Almost forget the venerable Nexus 7 (2013). Manufactured by Asus for Google, these are no longer in production but can be found used (sometimes new) at good prices. Like the ZenPad S8, the Nexus 7 (2013) has an ultra high rez display.
Looks like you probably have some good experience with Android devices - What do you like best, the Shield?

Thanks guys! Great advice from all and much appreciated. I've entered the drone world by default really as I was given the afore mentioned P3 & P2 by 2 well meaning friends. I honestly never thought I'd go near them and after the P3 flew away I was pretty much ready to call it a day. But I've persevered with the P2 (the one with the crippled gimbal) and I'm starting to see the potential, not to mention the fun! I flew aeroplanes in the 80's & 90's and as a pro photographer, well, it's kind of a no brainer really! So looking forward to the P4 and the learning curve! Thanks again.

bout how much you get one for?

With my 64 year old eyesight, the iPad Pro 12.9" works perfectly. Found a great SunShade/iPad Pro holder that works the best for iPad Pro 12.9" and looks awesome. Added a couple of photos on an earlier post reply today under "The Best SunShade Out There". Check it out.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Last edited:
The Shield is very fast & has the benefit of HDMI-out if you might ever want goggles or to output to a monitor. Minor bummer is it only comes in black. It has 2GB RAM & 16GB memory.

I love my white 32GB Nexus 7 (2013) with the lone caveat it lacks a Micro-SD card socket (all the other devices I mentioned have one). Wouldn't even want another tablet except for that. The memory card socket comes in handy for quick reviewing of footage in the field, though you are limited somewhat t0 1080x30 or lower since most tablets lack the RAM to process larger video files.

The ZenPads are all nice & very similar to the Nexus 7. The models listed are all 16GB memory. The ZP7 only has 1GB of RAM but still works fine with IPS display. The ZP8 & 10 both have 2 GB RAM & nice IPS displays. The ZPS8 is the nicest of the Asus tablets with the same screen rez as a Retina iPad & 2GB of RAM. For $279 you can get the ZenPad S8 with 4GB RAM & 64GB memory. Also note most of these ZenPads are available in white if you want it to match your RC. White seems to be in short supply at the moment except for the 10 & stand 8" models.

Looks like you probably have some good experience with Android devices - What do you like best, the Shield?

The Shield is very fast & has the benefit of HDMI-out if you might ever want goggles or to output to a monitor. Minor bummer is it only comes in black. It has 2GB RAM & 16GB memory.

I love my white 32GB Nexus 7 (2013) with the lone caveat it lacks a Micro-SD card socket (all the other devices I mentioned have one). Wouldn't even want another tablet except for that. The memory card socket comes in handy for quick reviewing of footage in the field, though you are limited somewhat t0 1080x30 or lower since most tablets lack the RAM to process larger video files.

The ZenPads are all nice & very similar to the Nexus 7. The models listed are all 16GB memory. The ZP7 only has 1GB of RAM but still works fine with IPS display. The ZP8 & 10 both have 2 GB RAM & nice IPS displays. The ZPS8 is the nicest of the Asus tablets with the same screen rez as a Retina iPad & 2GB of RAM. For $279 you can get the ZenPad S8 with 4GB RAM & 64GB memory. Also note most of these ZenPads are available in white if you want it to match your RC. White seems to be in short supply at the moment except for the 10 & stand 8" models.
Great info - Thanks so much. I've got a Nexus 9, but I haven't been happy with the performance and occasional crashes. Just did a clean install of the latest N Preview - Thought I'd see how that works out before I switch it out.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Last night I did my first flight with a new LG G-pad X 8.0 (v521wg) which is the t-mobile branded G-pad 3. It runs android 6.0.1, has a 1080p screen, and an extra full sized Usb port for transferring files and stuff... Got an awesome deal where after I pay for 2 months of service at $10/mo I'll get a $240 rebate (the price of a tablet) and can downgrade to 200mb data for life for free! So, basically $20 brand new tablet+ $17 taxes.

It worked pretty well, and will be nice to have the free LTE data for maps/gps to work... May be worth keeping an eye out for this deal again on t-mobile if you're looking for a tablet.

iPad Mini 4 has non reflective screen and A8 processor for best live video feed; enable "hardware decode" option in DJI Go app

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Last night I did my first flight with a new LG G-pad X 8.0 (v521wg) which is the t-mobile branded G-pad 3. It runs android 6.0.1, has a 1080p screen, and an extra full sized Usb port for transferring files and stuff... Got an awesome deal where after I pay for 2 months of service at $10/mo I'll get a $240 rebate (the price of a tablet) and can downgrade to 200mb data for life for free! So, basically $20 brand new tablet+ $17 taxes.

It worked pretty well, and will be nice to have the free LTE data for maps/gps to work... May be worth keeping an eye out for this deal again on t-mobile if you're looking for a tablet.
Ah you guys in the US are spoiled alright! Deals like that just don't happen here in Aus where the retail on a P4 is US$1800!

Reactions: Per Timmermann
Yeah, after a bit of research I'm leaning that way too. Being a Mac man, (computer, phone, ipad but a pathological hatred of iTunes I should add), it makes sense not to have a different animal pulling the technology cart at this stage, and as our friend above pointed out, there are good deals on sec hand/refurbished units available even for we "downunder" !

In terms of bang for the buck, you can't beat the Shield K1.
In my opinion, it's the perfect size and it's incredibly fast, I encounter no lag in FPV at all.
Its HDMI out is nice o have as well.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj