Best tablet for a Phantom 3 ?

Reaction score
As a very new pilot, I'm frustrated at the very windy conditions here in Norfolk UK, I wait for better weather and whilst waiting, I consider changing my current Apple iPhone 7 for a larger tablet. The iPhone is good with the P3 controller but I'm sure I would benefit from a larger screen. I think I would like to stay with Apple, but would appreciate any advice from those more experienced and knowledgable on this subject. Thanks in anticipation. PS, One thing I have learnt, it is easier to launch my drone in windy conditions from my smallish garden, than it is to land in it !!!

If you get a tablet try to get at minimum 3GB of ram on it I would highly recommend 4GB as the Dji GO is always wanting more. you dont want a cheap little tablet with 1GB of ram. most phones have 2-3GB of ram but also its said apple products work really well with the phantom 3 series I personally have a phantom 3 standard and a Samsung Galaxy S9 it's a 6inch screen not bad and it runs GO just fine. My dad has a phantom 3 pro and uses his Tiny iPhone 6+ which is like 4.5 inch screen yikes and hes 68 so I am working on getting him a bigger screen also.

Here's the specs of the ipad pro if u can afford it. Has high screen resolution you want high DPI so you get nice detailed video. Trust me I tested a cheap 40$ amazon fire 7 inch tablet wifi only and its limits were 168 feet distance at about 60 feet high I could not go any further due to the tablets range so always buy a decent quality tab. Cheap little 1GB wifi Only.... they dont work well.
Screenshot_20200312-072250_Chrome.jpeg

I use both an iPhone 6 and an iPad Mini3 to fly my P3Ps. I quickly learned that both, but especially the iPad, need an anti-glare covering on the screen for outdoor work and flying. My iPad is dedicated solely to flying, whereas I use the iPhone is for everything else. The iPad is just too cumbersome to use when on the go throughout the day..

Okay contrary to popular belief some wifi tablets have GPS but almost all phone/tablets that have cellular are GPS equipped any tablet you look at just google the specs and see if it has GPS capabilities because you do want GPS for easier flying and to know that your thousand dollar machine will certainly come back to you :)

• Sad
Reactions: Oso
Thanks for the replies. Is it essential that the tablet has GPS?
No, not at all.
It makes almost difference to your flying.
Your drone has its own GPS receiver that it uses for flight functions.
Okay contrary to popular belief some wifi tablets have GPS but almost all phone/tablets that have cellular are GPS equipped any tablet
Apple has confused many users by only fitting a GPS receiver to their cellular-capable iPads.
But almost every Android device has GPS.
You look at just google the specs and see if it has GPS capabilities because you do want GPS for easier flying and to know that your thousand dollar machine will certainly come back to you :)
That's not correct and is misleading.
The drone uses it's own GPS receiver to record the home point and find its way back home.
Having GPS in the tablet has no effect on RTH.

There are only two flight functions that can make any use of GPS data from your tablet.
These are Follow-me (but Active Track works better and doesn't need GPS)
Resetting the home point to the current location of the controller. (used if flying from a moving car or boat ... but this doesn't work with Apple devices anyway).

I am really obliged to all those who have responded, I have been looking on e bay to get an Apple iPad 2 (9.7") and only looking at ones who have GPS. At my stage of skill, I'm only really interested in the RTH working if I get in trouble. Your advice will mean many more options as most of the iPad 2 tablets that I can afford, don't have GPS, so now I could do without the tablet having GPS.

A new pilot myself since Dec 2019. Purchased a P3A used. Been using my iPhone 6+ or my iPad Mini 2 with no problems other than the glare on sunny days. With my 68 year old eyes, I appreciate the larger screen of the iPad.

As a very new pilot, I'm frustrated at the very windy conditions here in Norfolk UK, I wait for better weather and whilst waiting, I consider changing my current Apple iPhone 7 for a larger tablet. The iPhone is good with the P3 controller but I'm sure I would benefit from a larger screen. I think I would like to stay with Apple, but would appreciate any advice from those more experienced and knowledgable on this subject. Thanks in anticipation. PS, One thing I have learnt, it is easier to launch my drone in windy conditions from my smallish garden, than it is to land in it !!!
Get a Xiaomi MI Pad4 large battery, strong backlight, powerfully soc celuair capability GPS and only 150 euro.

Hi I'm using an iPad mini 2 / 8" with my Phantom 3 standard and I'm very happy with it.

I use 2nd gen nexus 7 and Samsung Tab A t580 2016 model. They both work very well with my P3A.

I use an iPad Air 2 and it works great. Your bird does not need the tablet to have GPS (as mentioned), so that opens the gates for you. Also, use a monitor hood to be able to see it better under the sky.

Chris

Hi Rockingbilly. I'm just down in Devon and can thoroughly recommend the Nvidia Shield. Been flying my P3A and never had any issues.
Look at the list msinger posted, all the "works well" there.

Thank you very much everyone. The vote from Norfolk is............iPad Air 2, so I hope nobody is going to bid against me on ebay !!!!!

I know some will think it is limited with only 2Gb RAM, but I have been using a Samsung Tab A 8" with my P3P and it works without any issues using DJI Go and Litchi. Costco has them on sale right now for $90 in the US. FYI

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1