New GL658C controller for my P4.

Reaction score
OK so as some of you know I paired a GL658C controller to my P4. Just got it paired last night by updating the RC firmware ( from 1.5.70 to 1.7.80 I think).. My P4 is running firmware 01.02.0602. I went out this morning for a test flight (first flight with the GL658C. The GL658C actually controls the P4 well and had no issues, only flying local in my pasture.

One issue I did have was poor video transmission, green and black bars and cutouts. And just before at the end of the flight the camera went limp and pointed up.
Anyone have any thoughts or suggestions on this? Thanks.. Phil

Edit I'm using an iPad Pro 9.7 as my display.

Last edited:
OK so I did a gimbal and imu calibration and went back for another test flight and got the same results. Screen flashing green and black with a poor video transmission message.

OK so as some of you know I paired a GL658C controller to my P4. Just got it paired last night by updating the RC firmware ( from 1.5.70 to 1.7.80 I think).. My P4 is running firmware 01.02.0602. I went out this morning for a test flight (first flight with the GL658C. The GL658C actually controls the P4 well and had no issues, only flying local in my pasture.

One issue I did have was poor video transmission, green and black bars and cutouts. And just before at the end of the flight the camera went limp and pointed up.
Anyone have any thoughts or suggestions on this? Thanks.. Phil

Edit I'm using an iPad Pro 9.7 as my display.
seems like this always is a bad ribbon

The problems only happen with this remote, correct? Not with the 300C? If not hardware / antennas, would seem to be incompatible firmware, but usually gives a warning. You might try refreshing the new firmware that you just installed. In case it did not complete. Recalibrate the remote, sticks and gimble wheel, while you’re at it.
Good luck, hope someone has answers

The problems only happen with this remote, correct? Not with the 300C? If not hardware / antennas, would seem to be incompatible firmware, but usually gives a warning. You might try refreshing the new firmware that you just installed. In case it did not complete. Recalibrate the remote, sticks and gimble wheel, while you’re at it.
Good luck, hope someone has answers
It didn't do it while flying with the gl300c but I haven't flown in about a year due to the gl300c malfunctioning. It was strange, during the test flight I had green and black screen flashes but mid flight the gimble went limp pointing slightly upwards.

When I first paired the GL658C to my P4 I did get a firmware inconsistent message. But I updated the firmware for the GL658C only as I've been afraid to update my P4. Since the update its been fine with no error messages.

I'm not sure which RC firmware and AC firmware don't like to play nice. Being that this is not the usual P4 remote, don't know if there is a conflict somewhere. Is the 300C FW available on the 658C?
Hopefully, Someone here knows as a few have mentioned a preference for the 658C over the 300C.
If none of this helps, it's back to the ribbon cable. GLuck

It didn't do it while flying with the gl300c but I haven't flown in about a year due to the gl300c malfunctioning. It was strange, during the test flight I had green and black screen flashes but mid flight the gimble went limp pointing slightly upwards.

When I first paired the GL658C to my P4 I did get a firmware inconsistent message. But I updated the firmware for the GL658C only as I've been afraid to update my P4. Since the update its been fine with no error messages.
Green and black breakup of the video transmission can be caused from having your iPad WiFi TURNED ON but not connected to an access point. This can also be caused by the phone in your pocket, if the WiFi is TURNED ON and not connected to an access point. This occurs because the device is HUNTING for an access point, pinging all WiFi channels on the 2.4Ghz band, and a couple channels will be close to the frequencies the drone uses to transmit video to the RC. I've had this happen green/black screen breakup of video with the drone as close as 100' away. With P4P this anomaly can be fixed by flying on 5.8Ghz. For some reason WiFi hunting doesn't cause problems on the 5.8 band.

Check to ensure all WiFi is turned off on the iPad and your phone. If you have your iPad Wifi TURNED ON and it's connected to your phone access point, this problem should not occur, because the iPad is connected to an access point, since it's not hunting endlessly, all WiFi frequencies for a connection.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Reactions: schlepprock and Oso
So I'm back home and doing more testing. It seems that the display clears up when the P4 is further away.
I made sure that wifi was off on my iPad Pro.

OK so I might have it figured out, but not sure why it's happening.

I tried a fresh recalibration on everything, tried a different cable but still had poor video feed. So.. I decided to try a different channel. I changed from auto channel to manual, selected a channel that seemed stable and surprisingly had perfect video feed. I'm at my property and have always used auto channel in the past.

Just did another test flight and got the same results. Have to switch to manual and select a seemingly clean channel. Like I said I've always flown in this same location and haven't had this issue before. Maybe the GL658C uses a different frequency..?? I don't know.

But at least I have a work around.

On the p4 I always fly on a custom channel. With custom channel selected you can then change the transmission quality on the same screen. If you slide it down from 10mbps to 4mbps, your range will be better, because there's less data to communicate, yet the visual difference is negligible IMO.

Last edited:
On the p4 I always fly on a custom channel. With custom channel selected you can then change the transmission quality on the same screen. If you slide it down from 10mbps to 4mbps, your range will be better, because there's less data to communicate, yet the visual difference is negligible IMO.
Thanks, yeah I've always kept it at 4mbps.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31