Battery puller?

Reaction score
When I’m done flying, the battery has swelled and is difficult to pull out
, is there such a thing as a battery puller puller outer?

Reactions: Capt KO

Use both hands with the thumbs on the top clip and pointer fingers on the bottom clip. Rotate your hands so the knuckles press on the body/arms immediately next to the battery opening. This leverage will 'pry' the battery out with little chance of an 'explosive' release flinging the body and battery in opposite directions.

Hard to describe in words but hopefully you get the notion.

Use both hands with the thumbs on the top clip and pointer fingers on the bottom clip. Rotate your hands so the knuckles press on the body/arms immediately next to the battery opening.
Like this:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Andy’s question made me feel like I do after a very big dinner. Swollen and hard to get out of my chair. Then N017RW’s reply, I about dropped out of my chair, laughing. Good on ya guys.

The above advice is spot on for "normal" battery enlargement but if the battery is overly swollen (aka PUFFED) it's a sign of an internal battery issue and you may want to consider doing a careful battery evaluation.

Very slight puffing - OK
Anything more than slight puffing - NOT OK

Swollen batterys also reduce there life cycle,,just reduce flight time per battery or fly backwards to get some air on it,might help

That battery is dying. I would STOP using it and replace ASAP. I have had batteried in UPS's do the same thing and can not be removed. I would hate to see that happen to your Drone! A New battery would be cheapr than a new Drone!

slight swelling vs. swelling
how to determine which???

PS. with my original P4P+ battery,
I work up & down at same time as pull
& it comes out...
storing in freezer temporarily unswells it
to "flat as a board"...

To be safe, if the battery is hard to pull out, ditch it! Put a straight edge along the battery, any more than about 1mm out of true I wouldn't risk it, next time it could rupture!

Rupture?

Never heard of a battery rupturing due to nominal swelling as a batt ages.

Sure, over-charge, excessive discharge above C-rating, puncturing with conductive items or damage from a crash could cause internal damage resulting in a ruptured event but not as you have proposed.

Just doesn’t happen.

Like this:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
Great tip, thanks! Even my newer and unpuffed batteries are difficult to get out at times. The good news is that I take comfort knowing they are likely to stay put in flight. [emoji3]

I don't think there has ever been a report, not on here anyway, of a battery coming out in flight - may be wrong.

But I have to repeat that I would never use a swollen battery.

Common causes of battery swelling include:
  1. Overcharge conditions which accelerate parasitic reactions between the electrodes and electrolyte, with release of heat and gases.
  2. Poor cell quality and design with low anode to cathode stoichiometric ratios, particulate contamination
  3. Mechanical damage to electrodes induced either during cell assembly or from the product application
  4. Excessive temperatures (Do not leave your cell phone inside your car)
  5. Deep discharge of cell
No LiPo battery should be left for long periods of time, they need periodic attention, charging and discharging.

If it get swollen, don't use it anymore, dispose! Buy a new one, it that happens, it's a warning!

I don't think there has ever been a report, not on here anyway, of a battery coming out in flight - may be wrong.

But I have to repeat that I would never use a swollen battery.

Common causes of battery swelling include:
  1. Overcharge conditions which accelerate parasitic reactions between the electrodes and electrolyte, with release of heat and gases.
  2. Poor cell quality and design with low anode to cathode stoichiometric ratios, particulate contamination
  3. Mechanical damage to electrodes induced either during cell assembly or from the product application
  4. Excessive temperatures (Do not leave your cell phone inside your car)
  5. Deep discharge of cell
No LiPo battery should be left for long periods of time, they need periodic attention, charging and discharging.

Do you know how to revive a battery that does not seem to charge? Have some P-2 batteries that wont charge... any tips/ideas? Thanks!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic