"Battery error" after replacing motors...

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've only had my phantom 3 for 2 months and I made the fatal mistake I hear a lot of there make. Accidentally putting the long prop guard screws in without the prop guards resulting in ruined motor coils.

So I ordered all four of my new motors, made sure they were the exact ones I needed. They match the board.

I open my phantom up and replace all four motors. And do a quick test. Success!!

Take it for a test flight, it gets up 30 ft or less and... boom 4 red lights and "battery error" in the dji GO app.

So I decided to take off the props and run the motors at various speeds for a minute.

No battery error, no red lights.

Put the blades back on, lift off for 10 second and the error with lights shows up again.

Is it possible it's fried? My stomach hurts over it because it's the one thing I've bought for myself in a verity long time, and there's no chance I can buy a new one.

Any help would be amazing. Thank you for takihg the time to read

Hi all,

I've only had my phantom 3 for 2 months and I made the fatal mistake I hear a lot of there make. Accidentally putting the long prop guard screws in without the prop guards resulting in ruined motor coils.

So I ordered all four of my new motors, made sure they were the exact ones I needed. They match the board.

I open my phantom up and replace all four motors. And do a quick test. Success!!

Take it for a test flight, it gets up 30 ft or less and... boom 4 red lights and "battery error" in the dji GO app.

So I decided to take off the props and run the motors at various speeds for a minute.

No battery error, no red lights.

Put the blades back on, lift off for 10 second and the error with lights shows up again.

Is it possible it's fried? My stomach hurts over it because it's the one thing I've bought for myself in a verity long time, and there's no chance I can buy a new one.

Any help would be amazing. Thank you for takihg the time to read
Do you have access to second battery. It is quite possible your P3 is OK but you may have damaged your battery if you tried to start it with the ruined motors. Check the individual battery cell voltages in DJI GO and if one of them is lower than the rest you will probably need a new battery. If you are very lucky during the next charge the battery management will put more power into the weak cell and it may recover but I would always treat that battery with a lot of suspicion in future and never depend on it in a risky or demanding situation.

Under light load (with no props) the damaged cell may just hold its own and the battery warning won't come on however under medium to heavy load it is the weak piglet of the bunch and its voltage drops behind the other 3 cells and triggers the warning. To stop the Phantom from falling out of the sky the battery management system then reduces the output of all the cells to save the dying one so the Phantom can limp home, you just have to hope the wind isn't against you.

Reactions: Andy4195
This is he BEST most useful advice I've received since I've searched the problem! Thank you! Willl test ''tis tonight!

So here's my battery under load... how does it look?

Attachments

• IMG_6753.PNG
    IMG_6753.PNG
    1 MB · Views: 471
So here's my battery under load... how does it look?
Sorry Jmack I never followed up on my post until now so never saw your query till just then. The other thing is I have a very slow satellite internet connection in rural Australia and can't see your file but the important thing is that the individual cell voltages should not vary by more than 20 or 30 mV under load. I think the battery alarm is triggered when one cell drops 50mV lower than the others (but don't quote me on that). By the way thankyou for your compliment, I hope every thing works out for you without too much expense.

This is he BEST most useful advice I've received since I've searched the problem! Thank you! Willl test ''tis tonight!
Were you ever able to test with another battery to determine if the issue is with your current battery?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31