Battery cycles

Under ideal circumstances and proper maintenance, it is possible to achieve 200 cycles. Bear in mind that is only an estimate and the battery MUST be properly maintained to get close to that.

Reactions: Former Member
You can essentially use it until it stops charging. It will stop charging when the cells are no longer able to accept the balanced current from the charger.

More often than not, one cell will go bad, and then the whole battery is toast. As was mentioned, if you properly maintain the battery, there is no reason for the battery not to last for many years.

Environmental factors that can influence a batteries life are extremes of heat or cold outside of manufacturers specs, damage to any of the cells, and over-discharging such as repeated and deliberate full throttle takeoffs and braking.

I have found DJI batteries to be made of very good quality materials and I make a habit of never buying aftermarket, generic batteries.

Last edited:
Reactions: Flying Mackerel
You can essentially use it until it stops charging. It will stop charging when the cells are no longer able to accept the balanced current from the charger.

More often than not, one cell will go bad, and then the whole battery is toast. As was mentioned, if you properly maintain the battery, there is no reason for the battery not to last for many years.

Environmental factors that can influence a batteries life are extremes of heat or cold outside of manufacturers specs, damage to any of the cells, and over-discharging such as repeated and deliberate full throttle takeoffs and braking.

I have found DJI batteries to be made of very good quality materials and I make a habit of never buying aftermarket, generic batteries.
Any concerns with respect to over discharging relate to flying the packs close to fully depleted state rather than full application of the throttle in flight.

Any concerns with respect to over discharging relate to flying the packs close to fully depleted state rather than full application of the throttle in flight.

EDIT

Sorry but I dont agree. You can damage the battery and possibly other components by going from hover to WOT enough times. DJI Go will not let you fly to a fully depleted state if you have your RTH settings correct.

EDIT

Sorry but I dont agree. You can damage the battery and possibly other components by going from hover to WOT enough times. DJI Go will not let you fly to a fully depleted state if you have your RTH settings correct.
Not true.... The flight controller ensures that the ESC are not commanded to deliver thrust at a level that might damage the AC. You cannot exceed the design paramaters coded into the software. As you have observed, the cells in these packs are good quality, a 10C discharge rating is no issue for them, something you won’t even get close to in full throttle application. In any case the BMS will limit current delivery if it is determined that the battery is in poor health.

Allow me to qualify my comment- it is well known that routinely running LiION chemistry below 20% will significantly reduce cycle count. That is a fact.

Your comment that you can continue to use the battery until it cannot accept balanced current from the charger can be further qualified to say the battery may continue to be charged and flown until such time as the battery monitor SOC determines it is no longer serviceable, i.e the health algorithm returns 0 life %.

Under ideal circumstances and proper maintenance, it is possible to achieve 200 cycles. Bear in mind that is only an estimate and the battery MUST be properly maintained to get close to that.

Thank you all for your reply’s

The charge cycles are better than I thought.

And you said about properly maintaining the battery what’s the best way to do this bearing in mind I only have one battery discharge over 10days or 5

If you tend to know in advance if when you expect to fly set the days to discharge to 1 and charge the pack up to around 40% after a flight if you don’t expect to fly for a few days. LiION ages faster (capacity loss) when kept at 100% state of charge.

what’s the best way to do this bearing in mind I only have one battery discharge over 10days or 5
Check out this post for more information on how I maintain my batteries.

Is there an actual list of the 'best practices' for long Lipo battery life? How are you discharging the battery to 40%, or are you only charging it to 2 bars if you don't plan to fly soon? I do avoid discharging totally, is ~20% the best stopping point? Thx

Reactions: BillyThib
Is there an actual list of the 'best practices' for long Lipo battery life?
See Post #10 ( I keep mine at 2 bars at all times when in storage).

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl