Autopilot app, autoflight logic

Airspace is the most advanced feature in Autopilot, but it can allow you to get shots that were impossible previously. We are always open to making things easier if you have any specific suggestions.
Advanced but easy to learn. Here is Mila making changes to her flight plan.
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1455984022.020483.jpg

She's happy with her changes
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1455984068.658416.jpg

Reactions: Yeager74
Auto flight logic I would suggest a series of step by step tutorials with detailed explanations of what the software is doing behind the scenes

Start with the basics and build on the previous.

For me at least it would build my confidence as well as commitment to your software.

I know how easy it is to program and send your drone up but having a complete understanding would sure help. With the potential for so many things to go wrong (at least in most minds) something to follow would sure make yours a must have addition.

Just my opinion!!

Auto flight logic I would suggest a series of step by step tutorials with detailed explanations of what the software is doing behind the scenes

For me at least it would build my confidence as well as commitment to your software.

I know how easy it is to program and send your drone up but having a complete understanding would sure help. With the potential for so many things to go wrong (at least in most minds) something to follow would sure make yours a must have addition.

Just my opinion!!
My experience based on participating in beta tests since day 1 is the step by step engagement confirmations really help to minimize the highest potential OP risks. The flight school documentation explains the functions so you have a good idea of what settings do. They also have video tutorials for the main modes. The bottom line is there is no replacement from personal trials. Start with the simple modes that are also used on the DJI GO app (orbit, follow). Afterwards, as you get familiar and comfortable then you can move on to other modes.
Remember- the abort method is same as on DJI GO (flip flight mode switch to P). Also, AP only works within signal range of controller (unlike some other 3rd party apps), so risks are very manageable.

Just my opinion!!
Autoflight Logic have chimed in here and commented that the current and growing library of youtube tutorials already provide precisely what you are asking for. I agree, the videos are excellent.

The learning curve isnt as great as you might think. The orbit and follow modes work in a simillar way to those in DJI go only with more fratures and greatly increased functionality.

Build your skills gradually with ziplime and focus and with the basic or intetermediate menu options.

Before you know it you will be limited only by your imagination in mission design. It can be a simple or complicated as you choose to make it. And works exactly as advertised. It seems also that autoflight logic is very responsive to beta tester and user suggestions (that part i cant comment on as i havent worked out how to get a beta tester email yet).

Reactions: LanaRain
I think your videos are good but I'm not sure they can be called tutorial videos. They are demo videos I think and they are from your perspective of knowing the software well. They mostly blush over things. There's no easy way to teach complex software in a few moments and it shows. I admit I'm not the brightest bulb in the box but if I come away confused or left with questions, the 'tutorial' video didn't teach well. I know there's a lot of documentation but I learn better from well done tutorial videos with practical examples. If you have deep software you're gonna need deep tutorial videos. Otherwise you end up with mostly what you have now, videos that cover some features but don't explain enough, even skipping advanced tutorials altogether in some instances. Just my opinion is all. If I can't understand how to utilize software on the ground, there's no way I'm gonna fly my expensive bird with it. I don't think I'm alone in feeling that and that gap has to be closed. It would be awesome if it was done in video.

I think your videos are good but I'm not sure they can be called tutorial videos. They are demo videos I think and they are from your perspective of knowing the software well. They mostly blush over things. There's no easy way to teach complex software in a few moments and it shows. I admit I'm not the brightest bulb in the box but if I come away confused or left with questions, the 'tutorial' video didn't teach well. I know there's a lot of documentation but I learn better from well done tutorial videos with practical examples. If you have deep software you're gonna need deep tutorial videos. Otherwise you end up with mostly what you have now, videos that cover some features but don't explain enough, even skipping advanced tutorials altogether in some instances. Just my opinion is all. If I can't understand how to utilize software on the ground, there's no way I'm gonna fly my expensive bird with it. I don't think I'm alone in feeling that and that gap has to be closed. It would be awesome if it was done in video.
With sensible minimum altitude settings and waypoints within a reasonable distance from your home point AP you cant get into trouble learning the siftware with your bird in the air. Missions instantly disengage when you switch out of F to P mode returning full control. You will learn much faster doing than watching, like most things in life.

I think your videos are good but I'm not sure they can be called tutorial videos.

Stepping in to offer my thoughts (as I am the guy who has done the videos.. ;) )

I've done demo videos - and this is definitely more than a demo video. It's more than a marketing video. It's intended to showcase the power of the software, how it differentiates itself, and how to go about doing some of the beginner and advanced things you can do.

My goal with these videos is (along with the info provided by Flight School) to hopefully give people enough knowledge to feel comfortable getting out to fly. NOTHING replaces flying. Nothing replaces experience. As much as I've used the software, I sometimes have questions about what would happen in specific use cases. I'd love to see people discuss these type of questions on this forum or the FB forum I set up for the users.

As I've told others, if I was to walk through at a normal pace every feature, every nuance, every mode, the videos would be hours and hours and hours long. There isn't a software solution that does anything close to that. Someone created some basic overview videos for Litchi that are decent -- but he charges for them via Udemy. We've preferred to offer the videos for free to help drive the community and the excitement in the product.

We have been discussing an "Autopilot 123" series of videos where we'd pick a VERY simple topic / use case. e.g. 4 waypoints and 2 focus points. And go through at normal pace everything that needs to be done to set it up and run the mission. No variants. No focus interpolation. No advanced features. Then pick another one (e.g. let's do an Orbit around a building focused on the center - that's it.. We can make 10-15 minute long videos demonstrating these type of things.

Keep the comments coming.

But, my best advice is the same thing that 2nd2non said above - get out and fly. Watch ALL the videos. Read Flight School. Then try the basic features - Focus and Orbit are the easiest to start with Then expand into Zip Line, then Waypoints, then start trying the intermediate and advanced modes. Keep your finger on the p/f switch. If the quad starts heading in a direction that you're not comfortable with, flick it to regain full control. You'll get more comfortable and then expand..

Good luck - keep flying.

Is there a forum for Autopilot? I have been hesitant to try 3rd party apps as DJI has enough problems of their own, I am fearful in introducing more variables.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app
If you stay within your ability to fly the aircraft home in ATTI mode you have nothing to fear from these apps. Worst case scenario presents when you become more reliant on the autonomous features than your Skill level, all is good until you realise you have created a mission that is plotting a collision course or you loose GPS lock. Both scenarios are user and hardware issues. Read around, 3rd part apps have been blamed for poor planning and user error but analysis has demonstrated they haven't been at fault.

I don't disagree the videos are done really well. I'm sold 100% and the company has been very responsive to any questions

I'm not saying change any of that. Rather get users more engaged. Tasks to complete and truly test skills that can and will build on each other. Along with s detailed description of what the software is doing.

I can watch a video and have the drone follow. But how about something a bit more complex the typical user wouldn't normally try or run into

I do believe they have it right and from what I have used are the best at pushing the edge.. I look forward to each update..

Guess I'm asking what others are thinking is already provided in the tutorial videos.

I would bet there are quite a few that want the software or have it and barely scratch the surface of its ability

Keep up the great work!

I don't disagree the videos are done really well. I'm sold 100% and the company has been very responsive to any questions

I'm not saying change any of that. Rather get users more engaged. Tasks to complete and truly test skills that can and will build on each other. Along with s detailed description of what the software is doing.

I can watch a video and have the drone follow. But how about something a bit more complex the typical user wouldn't normally try or run into

I do believe they have it right and from what I have used are the best at pushing the edge.. I look forward to each update..

Guess I'm asking what others are thinking is already provided in the tutorial videos.

I would bet there are quite a few that want the software or have it and barely scratch the surface of its ability

Keep up the great work!
I must have missed something. The intent and utility of autopilot is to allow the performance of very precise cinematic aircraft camera coordination sequences.

Something it does exceptionally well, the settings and various mission specific capabilities and application are well detailed and demonstrated in flight school and the videos.

This is a creative pursuit. Art assisted by technology. The creative possibilities are only limited by your imagination, the people at autopilot cant know what you have in mind here.

I understand the possibilities. And appreciate the power and coordination involved here

I don't use it daily. Not even weekly. Guess I'm answering the suggestion of what could be done. Not what needs to be.

It's a very smart bunch over there at autopilot I'm confident they understand

I understand the possibilities. And appreciate the power and coordination involved here

I don't use it daily. Not even weekly. Guess I'm answering the suggestion of what could be done. Not what needs to be.

It's a very smart bunch over there at autopilot I'm confident they understand
Ok... you can hand an artist a stretched canvas, easel, brushes and paints over the counter at the art supply store... Autoflight logic definately understand that and they are supplying the goods. They cant know what your have in mind and hope to produce though. Its your creativity and imagination.

Keep up the great work!

Agree'd more complex. How about orbiting a moving target... like getting 720 circle around a bike rider?

Orbit can easily be performed around a moving center. Just select the device or an airspace object as the Orbit center and let the magic happen.

That's where most should start. Problem I found with that in particular is the drone stays at the same mph and the riders speed varies.

Planned out to be a nice looking orbit. Turned into a drone staying in one side of the rider until he slowed enough. It will work eventually if your rider is slow or you ramp up the speed. But just isn't natural

Follow is better in the case. At least from what I have found.

Throw in some crazy speed changes down 1000 vertical feet and switchbacks. That's where many concerns come in. Drone could easily attempt to keep the rider focused and by staying to the right or left run into the hill just ridden.

That's where most should start. Problem I found with that in particular is the drone stays at the same mph and the riders speed varies.
The speed defined in the Orbit controls is actually "relative" to the center object's velocity. Granted, if the center object is moving 15 mph, and the Orbit is set to 30 mph, there is no way the aircraft can actually achieve 30 mph relative velocity on the forward portion of the circle as it would require 45 mph total, which is beyond the limits of the aircraft. If the Orbit is set to 10 mph instead, this is totally possible, assuming no wind.

By the way, this functionality (Orbits, Waypoints, etc around moving objects) is unique to Autopilot, as we use our own custom flight controller. The default SDK implementation of these features (which most other apps use) does not allow for the vector math required to make this happen.

Reactions: LanaRain

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl