Autopilot app, autoflight logic

How about the disabled Return To Home RTH function?? :eek:
This is a firmware issue that is out of our control and that DJI has committed to fixing. If you are not flying near the edge of signal range, this does not affect you, as the FAQ states. Considering what the signal range is on these aircraft, it is hard to find use cases that aren't illegal where this issue will present itself, at least in the US.

I'm not following. Loss of signal - even well within a safe range - isn't unheard of by any means. In those situations a lack of RTH can absolutely affect anyone using the app.

I'm not following. Loss of signal - even well within a safe range - isn't unheard of by any means. In those situations a lack of RTH can absolutely affect anyone using the app.
Totally agreed, which is why we made the announcement as prominent as we did, but in the signal-loss-with-aircraft-near-you scenario you have many more options as opposed to out of LOS signal loss, where you have no idea where the aircraft is. Anyway, if you don't feel comfortable flying with Autopilot until DJI updates their firmware, we don't fault you.

Thanks for the reply. Crazy question: What does the P3 do in the event of signal loss when running the Autopilot app? Reading the Flight School stuff now.

Haha. I need to read my own posted links more carefully. Okay, well, that gives me more confidence to be sure. SOLD! Going to pick this up. Tnx again.

AFL where is the updated Airspace video? i saw it today at work and it was 24min long. I cant find it now.

It is currently unlisted as we are still making a few tweaks to it before we consider it prime time. We really put a lot of effort in to these videos.
Darn I guess i should have watched it while I was at work when it was listed

I always open up DJI GO app first make sure everything is loaded up and ready to go then I open the auto flight logic app.

Ok Lana, I do the same as you, I open DJI GO first, then open Autopilot, but couple of posts ago 2nd2non said to make sure DJI GO is closed before you run Autopilot, any idea if having both open matters or not?

Ok Lana, I do the same as you, I open DJI GO first, then open Autopilot, but couple of posts ago 2nd2non said to make sure DJI GO is closed before you run Autopilot, any idea if having both open matters or not?
I think that's only on the old Vision that you had to close the app first. Here is the instructions I'm sure you've seen a bunch. I always calibrate my compass through the DJI GO app before I fly. Then open AutoPilot. Send a message to Autoflightlogic, nice people they will answer you. Let me know how it goes. [emoji120]
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1455720338.471943.jpg

ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1455720349.377144.jpg

ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1455720361.650057.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Jack Ley
The behavior of the SDK has changed over time. In the days when it was just the Vision, the Vision app definitely had to be terminated. When DJI added support for the Phantom 3 / Inspire 1 in Sept 2015 it seemed to allow GO to run in the background for a few versions, but then it required termination. Recently it seems that the latest version of the SDK allows GO to be running in the background, but it is always safe to assume that terminating GO won't hurt.

As an aside, you can actually perform compass calibration from within Autopilot. Just flip the RC Flight Mode switch several times and the process will initiate as indicated by the messages in the status bar on the Flight Dashboard.

I've had the bird loose signal 100' up and 80' away from me I just flipped back to P mode and flew it back to me. Other then that I haven't had any issues with this app. Love it and would buy again. Waiting on the airspace video now

Reactions: Jack Ley
I saw on another forum (DJI) that a bird shut down and fell out of the sky using this app?
Has anyone else had any kind of problems like that with this app?

Same thing that J&L said, you can flip the switch (3 position switch on the top left side of controller) back to P-mode, in fact my first day flying with Autopilot, I did that several times to make sure I could get control of my bird if something happened with the app, it worked perfectly.

Sorry I went back on the DJI Forum but couldn't find it anywhere.
It was a guy in Europe he crashed and DJI would not cover it under warranty
because he was using a third party app!!!

Didn't know that was the case
I have seen a number of "first flight with autopilot and crashed" or "litchi crashed my bird" style threads but witjout exception it would seem the app wasnt to blame. Did see a thread with a poster in europe complainimg that DJI had initially (allegedly) informed him he wasnt covered as using a third party app (DJI forum by recollection) hiwever that seems to have ended well when RMA was provided when he complained and watranty honoured.

If people cant fly home in atti when gps lost or misscalculate waypoint heights etc that isnt an app issue.

It was a guy in Europe he crashed and DJI would not cover it under warranty
because he was using a third party app!!!
If you are referring to Sébastien, his issue was that he took off without 100% battery and his aircraft unexpectedly shut-down due to the battery voltage issue that many people have been seeing - which is entirely unrelated to Autopilot, or any third-party app for that matter.

As for the response he received from the DJI warranty department, it was a matter of the European office being misinformed about DJI's stance on the issue and we have already worked with our contacts at DJI to help him resolve the issue and get his aircraft repaired under warranty, even though Autopilot was not at fault.

Gotta love auto flight logics customer service....if only DJI would care half as much.

I lost my first phantom3 due to a battery cell issue (thank you healthy drones). Since it feel 4000ft into a canyon, I couldn't recover it. After several back and forth and escalation, DJI finally agreed to give me two new batteries instead of the standard "30% off of an aircraft only purchase". I argued that I already bought a replacement P3P. So will be selling the batts to basically get my cash out of the ordeal...

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrl