• No and I know I have to learn

• No and I didn't know any of this

• No and I don't care

• Yes, I made it a point to learn

• Yes but I am not good enough at it yet

• Yes, that's how I fly most of the time

Results are only viewable after voting.
Reaction score
These drones come with a lot of flight assistance and it's mostly good.

It's great because of the confidence it gives the operator. Save for any issues, it's a joy to fly a DJI product or most drones available today..

The problem with GPS and Compass aided software based flight assistance is that for many, they will never learn to fly a drone "properly", i.e: without it.

And this is a problem because as a drone operator, the applicable rules require control at all times, including in case of failure or problem. It's rare of course but those events contribute to the bad perception people have of drones.

I spend time training with the simulator and less often, flying in real world.
I hate this shortcoming of mine when operating my P4. I must get good at it.

Notes:
Phantom 4 will use GPS/Glonass and its Vision Positioning System to achieve precision while hovering. In ATTI Mode, GPS and Vision Positioning System will not function to aid the aircraft in terms of hovering or navigation.
Phantom 4 can fly up to 44.7mph in Sport Mode while in ATTI Mode it can fly up to 35.8mph.

Reactions: Guillermo Mendivil
Reserved.

But in P-atti VPS still works

I wasn't even thinking of VPS.

When I started this thread, what I had in mind is getting the drone to do what I want it to with flight controls.

Flying ATTI to me is like flying a vaguely loose object with huge inertia.
I spend my time counter-correcting its movements which inevitably go beyond what I intended.

In an emergency situation with little time to react, it'd be awful!

Last edited:
ATTI mode is of course usable if conditions are good, but I have flown deep in canyons with no GPS signal (scary) and once almost lost it because I had to fly in high winds in ATTI mode and fighting the wind was a real ***** as it nearly flew away. Because I fly to take photos or videos it really takes away from the time you spend composing shots, and mostly just try to keep the craft in the right place. You really come to love having GPS thats for sure.

Reactions: BillyP13
You guys should try to fly a collective pitch heli

Please tell us more. I can't be the only one wondering what collective pitch is.

I suppose the answer would depend on the individual: some will need more time than others to get good at it.

Can you get the drone to behave as if it were assisted by GPS/ Compass when hovering?

Do you think you have complete control when flying it around besides?

Please tell us more. I can't be the only one wondering what collective pitch is.

Collective pitch changes the pitch of all the helicopter blades evenly throughout its rotation, thus causing the heli to rise or descend.

You also have cyclic pitch, which causes the helicopter blades to change pitch depending on where they are in their rotation. This causes the bird to bank left/right and pitch forward/back.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: 28wins
Obviously I have flown only in good conditions because I haven't noticed any difference between P3P P/A/F flight modes.

I'll pay more attention next time while braking or flying on a windy day (I never fly on a really windy day or without good GPS anyway).

Reactions: BillyP13
It's not really the collective pitch on a heli that is a concern. It's the fact that it does not self level itself like a drone does. You have to constantly control it to keep it level and fight the wind to maintain your position. Your drone will keep it self level automatically and just drift in the wind. You know that when you take your hands off the controls, the Drone will level itself. That's not the case was a helicopter. If the helicopter is tilted sideways and you let go of the controls, it will stay in that orientation.

Reactions: Fishie and 28wins
Thank you so much for the explanation.
And this is done with the right hand in a heli?

Coincidentally, I was watching this beautiful video of Brazil and noticed the pro pilot landing of this helicopter and it was inclined up on approach while rotating it in his final positioning. I thought that was impressive!

Watch starting at 2:26

Brazil photos and videos thread

For 3d heli's (collective pitch) the controls are the same. Yes fly those for a while and you will have to issue with atti mode on a phantom.

Coincidentally, I was watching this beautiful video of Brazil and noticed the pro pilot landing of this helicopter and it was inclined up on approach while rotating it in his final positioning. I thought that was impressive!

Brazil photos and videos thread
The controls are the same as a drone except the left stick does not center itself, it stays where you leave it. Model heli typically do not self level or maintain constant altitude. You have to control all that manually.
Looks like he was just flaring up the heli to reduce speed and go into a hover. Very nice video!

For 3d heli's (collective pitch) the controls are the same. Yes fly those for a while and you will have to issue with atti mode on a phantom.
He means you'll have no issues with attitude on a drone. In other words, if you can fly a model heli, drones are easy!
Flying fpv on the other hand by strictly looking at your screen is different and takes some practice especially if you're in attitude mode.

The "Collective Pitch" has a similar effect "simplistic speaking" as increasing the throttle on our drones. When the LEFT stick is increased instead of speeding the motor(s) up the pitch of the blades are increased, creating more lift but rotor RPM remains fairly constant and the govenor (flight controller etc) adjusts the motor power to make all this happen in real time. Higher stick movement creates higher prop blade pitch creating more lift. That's a fairly simplistic explanation.

He's bleeding off speed before landing/hovering. Instead of coming in slow n easy he came in hot and by pulling back on the stick (same way our Phantom stops so quickly) he has directed a lot of energy ahead of him to reduce speed in an aggressive manner.

Reactions: 28wins
[...]

He's bleeding off speed before landing/hovering. Instead of coming in slow n easy he came in hot and by pulling back on the stick (same way our Phantom stops so quickly) he has directed a lot of energy ahead of him to reduce speed in an aggressive manner.

Thank you @BigAl07!

I suppose he is not leaving much less room (space and time) to himself to react in case something unexpectedly goes wrong.
But it looks so cool! :)

I have been practicing to do exactly that with my P4 ever since I saw DJI use similar movements in one of their (car) rallye videos.
Coming down while orbiting a subject before finally stabilizing at a certain level for a vantage point. And above all make the all thing look smooth and 100% in control/ intentional.

Last edited:
Reactions: BigAl07

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.