Reaction score
Hello all,

Today I am writing, because my friend (let's called him Capt. Sully) crashed his P3P into a tree. The reason I am writing this thread, is because I would like input from you guys on which parts should be replaced or keep an eye on in case they are damaged but aren't visible. We want to repair it ourselves as a DIY between friends.

So far I've noticed damage in:

1. Top housing.
2. Lens cover
3. Legs
4. Camera Ribbon
5. Battery

My solutions to this are:

1. Replace top
2. Buy some filters or new lens cover.
3. Replace legs with Carbon Fiber ones.
4. I am unsure on this one. I don't know if it's the ribbon or the board that fried in the crash.
5. Recycle the battery.

20190206_140108.jpg
20190206_140113.jpg
20190206_140118.jpg
20190206_140127.jpg
20190206_140132.jpg
20190206_140146.jpg
20190206_140214.jpg
20190206_140221.jpg
20190206_140234.jpg
20190206_140246.jpg

I tested the drone and it appears that everything is working normally. Motors start without problems, the bottom housing did not bent so the motors are in place. The gimbal is working allright, but I don't have any video feed. It's like it has no camera installed. I haven't tested flight yet, as Capt Sully did not bring me the replacement propellers and I refuse to fly with damaged ones. Here is a video.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Any input, no matter how small will be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Reactions: Capt.Sully
Sounds like youve covered all the bases. As far as no video goes, with the P3P in particular that board is very fussy. Could be as simple as a new ribbon cable but its anyones guess as to whats really damaged. Try a new cable first, maybe you will be lucky. The fact that the gimbal and camera are still attached means theres likely no damage to the connections on the mainboard but you will be able to confirm that with the top shell removed.

Sounds like youve covered all the bases. As far as no video goes, with the P3P in particular that board is very fussy. Could be as simple as a new ribbon cable but its anyones guess as to whats really damaged. Try a new cable first, maybe you will be lucky. The fact that the gimbal and camera are still attached means theres likely no damage to the connections on the mainboard but you will be able to confirm that with the top shell removed.
Thanks for the tip. Will do.

Just out of curiosity, does it still take and save pics/video to the sd card? Unless I'm mistaken, a bad ribbon cable will cause loss of video everywhere including the sd card but a bad top gimbal board just causes you to lose FPV.

Just out of curiosity, does it still take and save pics/video to the sd card? Unless I'm mistaken, a bad ribbon cable will cause loss of video everywhere including the sd card but a bad top gimbal board just causes you to lose FPV.
I am unable to take photos or video. That part is greyed out.

He created an account and liked OP. @Capt.Sully, please post the telemetries. On iPad I get these 2 messages. Although the weak signal can be attributed that I didn't put the antennas (modified) on the controller.
20190206_170945.jpg
20190206_170954.jpg

On Android I simply don't get any video feed or cant take photos or video. Yes, I made sure to install an SD Card.
Screenshot_20190206-171322_DJI GO.jpg

Excuse our ignorance. Where and how do we get the telemetry?
You have telemetry in the last photo. But i see the camera controls are greyed out. Are you sure there is an sd card in the gimbal?

You have telemetry in the last photo. But i see the camera controls are greyed out. Are you sure there is an sd card in the gimbal?
Yes. I personally inserted it. Last photo taken before the drone crashed or after?

Yes. I personally inserted it. Last photo taken before the drone crashed or after?
Well i wanted to test if it could take a picture and save it to the sd card now, but if the camera controls are greyed out you can't test that. Possibly the bad ribbon cable has disabled the camera functions, or that could be a gimbal board issue as well. I've never seen this issue.

Reactions: Ansia
Well i wanted to test if it could take a picture and save it to the sd card now, but if the camera controls are greyed out you can't test that. Possibly the bad ribbon cable has disabled the camera functions, or that could be a gimbal board issue as well. I've never seen this issue.
We ordered everything I mentioned in post 1. If we can't make it work, I'll post and see what else we can find.

Reactions: 3rdof5
Looks like a good beating remarkable you came out with minimal operating damage. Lots of great advise I won't ad too much more than the aesthetics by this time you've already removed the shell, from experience you can get away with abrasive side of sponge and cleaner to remove the scuffs, the fracture can be relaxed with a hair dryer or heat gun some crazy glue & a bit of exacto knife trimming as required, snap points of shell will back in place once you reassemble again use heat gun to relax key spots, oh and as for the ribbon wire don't be a cheat skate be sure to purchase a quality product it makes a huge difference, lenses are easy buy

Attachments

• Inkedribbon_LI.jpg
    Inkedribbon_LI.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 278
Reactions: Ansia
Looks like a good beating remarkable you came out with minimal operating damage. Lots of great advise I won't ad too much more than the aesthetics by this time you've already removed the shell, from experience you can get away with abrasive side of sponge and cleaner to remove the scuffs, the fracture can be relaxed with a hair dryer or heat gun some crazy glue & a bit of exacto knife trimming as required, snap points of shell will back in place once you reassemble again use heat gun to relax key spots, oh and as for the ribbon wire don't be a cheat skate be sure to purchase a quality product it makes a huge difference, lenses are easy buy
Thanks for the input. We ordered everything new and OEM. They should start arriving by next week.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers