Am I F'd? 1st day, slow landing on grass, disaster!

Such a sad video. We've had many posts here noting the exact same thing, but this is the first video I've seen of the actual event. Thanks for posting it. Even though it's painful for you, it may help others.

We've noted likely several hundred times in the past 1.5 years to NOT use CSC to stop the motors once landed. I think we all agree that it would be great if they removed that from the manual.

Question. Did you try to do a CSC once it tipped? Some people in that situation have noted that they tried to do the CSC once it tipped over but the CSC failed to stop the motors.

Thanks for the welcome.

I did bring the throttle down briefly before CSC, and held CSC until the rotors stopped.

I will send send the TXT file...

msinger - as I touched down with the left stick down, I immediately performed a CSC. I didn't expect the aircraft to tip backwards nor squeal and burn out a motor.

msinger - as I touched down with the left stick down, I immediately performed a CSC. I didn't expect the aircraft to tip backwards nor squeal and burn out a motor.
I understand what you said you did. I'm simply offering to review your log to confirm what DJI said you actually did.

FYI that @Flyboy707 joined the forum today. The log you are referencing was from another member back in June.

Thanks. I just stumbled into this thread today and the last message displayed was the request for logs from msinger. When I jumped back to the beginning to start catching up, i saw post 12 uploaded logs from back in June. I thought that since it was so long ago, msinger may have forgotten they were there - so, not realizing it was a different user - and trying to be helpful - I posted the comment that "I think they were already uploaded".

Knowing now where my misunderstanding was, it would have been nice if msinger had pointed that out instead of asking me "are you sure" and causing me to go back, look again, copy and post the message from post 12 - only to receive another one word answer that was completely unhelpful and didn't clear anything up.

I guess some people are courteous and others just rude. Thanks for being courteous and clearing things up for me.

I guess some people are courteous and others just rude. Thanks for being courteous and clearing things up for me.
Sorry -- I was not trying to be rude. I'll try to do a better job of explaining in more detail next time.

Reactions: Tenly
Knowing now where my misunderstanding was, it would have been nice if msinger had pointed that out instead of asking me "are you sure" and causing me to go back, look again, copy and post the message from post 12 - only to receive another one word answer that was completely unhelpful and didn't clear anything up.

I completely agree with you about this as well. :rolleyes:

Reactions: Tenly
Your video proves your case 100%! No .txt file interpretation will change the visible facts. The manual should have had that CSC removed from it for landing over a year ago!

I notice before now my video had one view, which was me. DJI haven't even looked at it.
The most important issue is that this repair should be covered by DJI because of their negligent failure to remove the CSC completely from a proper landing procedure in the manual! Splitting hairs over the degree of left stick down, when the aircraft is already on the ground is a red herring! Don't fall for it! Get a manager on the phone and get them to pay for it! Send them your video! Game over!

My log viewer is not able to read your log :(

DJI recently changed something (I think in DJI GO) that has modified the TXT log format. I found Healthy Drones is able to read some of them. You could try uploading your TXT log there. If it processes properly, you can download a CSV file (if you're logged into Healthy Drones). That'll show your stick inputs.

The manual should have had that CSC removed from it for landing over a year ago!
Definitely. The fact that they keep "Method 1" in there as written to me borders on negligence given the well documented tip over issues.

My take is that method 1 is poorly worded, especially given the known consequences when it is not done precisely as written. They seem to say that you should have already landed. Then once already landed, do a separate full left stick down (step 1) and a CSC (step 2) to stop the motors. Of course, it's perfectly reasonable to assume that the left stick down you just did to land would "count" as step 1, but many pilots have sadly seen that it doesn't.

Full left stick down to stop the motors (once landed) is so easy and intuitive that it should certainly be the only method used by pilots and also the only method even mentioned in the manual. It would save many people from tip overs, but I guess it would also mean fewer repair charges for DJI.

They seem to say that you should have already landed. Then once already landed, do a separate full left stick down (step 1) and a CSC (step 2) to stop the motors.
You don't have to do a separate full left stick down. The important part is the motors need to be fully throttled down before moving into the CSC position. Again though, the left stick down for 3 seconds is far easier to explain/perform.

OK the Healthy Drones viewer says "Not enough data to display reliable results.

Please try uploading a longer flight." when trying to view the controls. I can see all the other info...

OK I can see stick inputs represented by numbers. Here goes...

rc_elevator rc_aileron rc_throttle rc_rudder
1024 1024 751 1024
1024 1024 745 1024
1024 1024 746 1024
1024 1024 746 1024
1024 1024 733 1024
1024 1024 719 1024
1024 1024 713 1024
1024 1024 710 1024
1024 1024 717 1024
1024 1024 718 1024
1024 1024 718 1024
1024 1024 716 1024
996 1006 706 1024
915 928 677 1024
810 815 613 1064
642 670 540 1141
410 515 484 1182
364 446 376 1256
364 404 364 1298
364 383 364 1301
364 364 364 1338
394 364 364 1420
364 364 364 1546
364 364 364 1684
364 364 364 1684
364 364 364 1684
364 364 364 1684
364 364 364 1684
364 364 364 1684

You don't have to do a separate full left stick down. The important part is the motors need to be fully throttled down before moving into the CSC position. Again though, the left stick down for 3 seconds is far easier to explain/perform.
Method 1: When Phantom 3 Professional has landed, push the throttle down , then conduct the same CSC that was used to start the motors, as described above . Motors will stop immediately. Release both sticks once motors stop.

When the P3 "has landed" means you have already done a left stick down. The additional wording to then "push the throttle down" can very reasonably be interpreted to mean do it again (step 1) and then a CSC (step 2). Based on DJI comment #4 in this post, it would appear that they also interpret the wording this way and as such have chosen to deny the warranty claim.

Perhaps method 1 makes more sense if you've done an auto land since in that case you would not have already done a left stick down to land. The thing is, the motors shut off themselves with auto land, so even that makes little sense I guess.

Of course as has been noted here on the forum literally countless times, left stick down for 3 seconds should be the only method used (in non-emergencies) when you want to stop the motors once on the ground or in your hand.

Hopefully these last few posts will help more people before it's too late for them.

Cheers sir!

Last edited:
Thanks Oso. I wish I would have visited a forum before flying the thing. Looks like I did the wrong thing by reading the manual and trying to follow instructions! ;)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31