Am I F'd? 1st day, slow landing on grass, disaster!

Im sorry but auto land just sounds like a bad idea lol.
Im sure in concept it sounds good but I personally would rather be in control during a landing.
with practice both a hand catch and a ground land are fairly easy.
In all situations never use CSC to turn off your drone.
Yes they do.
There was someone on here that posted the RPM(s) with the props on and with the props off and they sped up quite considerably with no props on.
I will see if I can find that post again.

A couple things wrong with your response DeeX.

You are in control during an auto land. You can move the P3 around with the right sick (mode 2) and can slow, halt and even climb during an auto land searching for a suitable spot to set it down. The left "throttle" stick switches to 3/4 to hover, 50% to descend. Above 3/4 stick, the P3 will climb.

2nd about the motors over revving without propellers attached. They don't. What does happen when running the motors without props is the motors can overheat rather quickly without the cooling air provided by the props.

Hope this clears things up a bit.

SD

Reactions: ROD PAINTER
Thanks to this forum I have not had the CSC tip-over/screech experience. PhantomPilots is a great service. As far as I can see, CSC disarm is only useful as a last ditch method to bring the bird down in a fly-away event.

Prop guards can be a pfaff to deal with but save a lot of grief when something goes wrong. I recently flew my p3 without them, had a couple of landing tip overs (didn't use CSC and not happened before so unsure why), and this damaged the bearings in a couple of motors. Guards would have avoided this.

This video when I was doing due dil before getting the p3 convinced me of the benefits

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

with tipover protection at 1m24s
The guards save the props and hitting someone no doubt. Check some of the YouTube videos on prop guards causing drones to plummet out of the sky. They will cause oscillating wind flow you won't be able to get control of. Try hand catching.

What is CSC?
CSC stands for Combination Stick Command. It's performed like this. It's used to start and stop the motors. In an emergency situation, it can be used to stop the motors mid-flight.

Note: While it can be used to shut down the motors after landing, you should hold the left stick down for ~3 seconds instead. A CSC after landing can sometimes cause the Phantom to tip over.

A CSC after landing can sometimes cause the Phantom to tip over.

This is why they should remove that method from the manual. I not long bought a new P3P and on its maiden flight landed it and tried a CSC to shutdown and it tipped, squealed and smoked. See my vid -

I got notice today that DJI has rejected my warranty claim, saying...

3)Per the log data,the drone kept flying well under GPS mode.
While at the last,the customer landing the drone when it was landing the customer tried to operate CSC command to stop the motors directly. And that time the drone tilt to left and crashed at 246s.
4) Per our manual as attached we suggest the user lower the throttle stick down to the end to make motors running down then do the CSC command to stop the motors.
That incident is because the operation is improper so the repair have to be chargeable. FYI.
Please kindly noted and create a repair case directly.

The bolded part is exactly what I did. I will be speaking with the reseller tomorrow and will hopefully get it sorted out. I have a very sour taste in my mouth right now!

The bolded part is exactly what I did.
If you'd like us to review your flight log and confirm/deny DJI's findings, then please upload your TXT flight log here and post a link back here.

If you'd like us to review your flight log and confirm/deny DJI's findings, then please upload your TXT flight log here and post a link back here.
This is not a flight log issue.
It's an issue with the manual.
The video shows all you need to know.
The CSC, per the manual's suggested method to stop the motors, caused the tip over, which caused the motor to burn out.

This is why they should remove that method from the manual. I not long bought a new P3P and on its maiden flight landed it and tried a CSC to shutdown and it tipped, squealed and smoked. See my vid -

I got notice today that DJI has rejected my warranty claim, saying...

3)Per the log data,the drone kept flying well under GPS mode.
While at the last,the customer landing the drone when it was landing the customer tried to operate CSC command to stop the motors directly. And that time the drone tilt to left and crashed at 246s.
4) Per our manual as attached we suggest the user lower the throttle stick down to the end to make motors running down then do the CSC command to stop the motors.
That incident is because the operation is improper so the repair have to be chargeable. FYI.
Please kindly noted and create a repair case directly.

The bolded part is exactly what I did. I will be speaking with the reseller tomorrow and will hopefully get it sorted out. I have a very sour taste in my mouth right now!
Welcome to the forum sir.

Such a sad video. We've had many posts here noting the exact same thing, but this is the first video I've seen of the actual event. Thanks for posting it. Even though it's painful for you, it may help others.

We've noted likely several hundred times in the past 1.5 years to NOT use CSC to stop the motors once landed. I think we all agree that it would be great if they removed that from the manual.

Question. Did you try to do a CSC once it tipped? Some people in that situation have noted that they tried to do the CSC once it tipped over but the CSC failed to stop the motors.

Reactions: JoBe
DJI's own .DAT file review confirmed that the CSC use per the manual for stopping the motors caused the motor burnout. What's to dispute or confirm? That's exactly what the OP said originally!

This is not a flight log issue.
It's an issue with the manual.
DJI is saying he did a CSC without first holding the left stick down to reduce the throttle. I respectfully disagree and think this is a flight log issue.

DJI's own .DAT file review confirmed that the CSC use per the manual for stopping the motors caused the motor burnout. What's to dispute or confirm? That's exactly what the OP said originally!
Per the manual, a CSC is supposed to be performed like this after landing:

CSC.png

Per the quote posted above, DJI is saying he skipped #1 and went right to #2. The flight log will surely verify that.

FYI, we often tell people to hold the left stick down for ~3 seconds after landing because it's a foolproof way of stopping the motors.

Reactions: ROD PAINTER
DJI is saying he did a CSC without first holding the left stick down to reduce the throttle. I respectfully disagree and think this is a flight log issue.
Both the OP and and DJI already agree about what happened. The warranty claim is valid because they still haven't removed the tipover causing CSC method of stopping the motors from the manual, no matter what the flight log says about the order of things. Clearly, he first lowered the left stick to land, as you can see in the video.

OP: "The bolded part is exactly what I did"

According to DJI above, the CSC is what is supplementally necessary to stop the motors, except that causes the tipover instead. This is entirely DJI's fault for not removing it from the manual.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers