Manual upgrade of the firmware to 1.6.8 did not make a difference. Will be sending it in for repair two weeks from now. If anyone else reading this thread has had this problem and sent it in for repair - would love to know how much it cost you and what they had to do to fix the problem. I realize there could be different repairs for this issue but the 30-40 meter RC Lost P3S seems pretty specific.

Manual upgrade of the firmware to 1.6.8 did not make a difference. Will be sending it in for repair two weeks from now. If anyone else reading this thread has had this problem and sent it in for repair - would love to know how much it cost you and what they had to do to fix the problem. I realize there could be different repairs for this issue but the 30-40 meter RC Lost P3S seems pretty specific.

I have mine also sent by the supplier. (via Droneland NL in Almere.)
Received after 2 weeks a brand new one and it had the same problem after the update ....

Costs were zero, because the guarantee had not yet expired...

Good luck

Reactions: rellinb
Add another one to the list 15m range .Still working through all the suggestions above .I should have left it alone I was getting 450m before .Makes a good paper weight though

Reactions: rellinb
Just found this thread and I experience the same short distance problem with my Std.
I have had my P3S for a few months now and was originally flying in town/city parks etc and experiencing short distance problem, so I have been going further a field into the countryside on the quest for better distance.....still to no avail.
I contacted DJI a couple of months back and they blamed it on the phone I was using as the device is not on their list of devices, I tried once using my ipad air and did manage to get to about 100m out and then lost confidence and brought her back as I had to lay the ipad on my hardshell case as I cannot figure out a decent cradle configuration to have it on the RC....so it was a bit of a pain.
I then purchased and paid express shipping from the U.S for a set of ArgTek Wi-Fi extender aeriel things and connected them to my RC and I'm still experiencing the problem.....so much so in fact that my P3S lost it's signal during a shoot last weekend at a ruined castle and decided to land itself on the roof of the castle I was shooting, it was no more than 12-14m up and about 3-4m in front of me and pretty much in direct sight
Thank god the organisation who looks after the place took a sympathetic view and sent someone up to retrieve it and I am meeting up with "said" nice person to reclaim my drone tomorrow.

So if she is still alive after being open to the elements for a couple of days I will be giving this"taking the firmware back" a go and hoping for the best.....nothing ventured nothing gained.....but tbh DJI should kind off be ashamed of themselves for painting this picture of what distances could possibly be achieved with this bird, admittedly I'm not expecting the full distances as stated by DJI as this is as they say....in perfect conditions, but I'm certainly expecting a dam sight more than 30-40m etc, jeez my Phantom v1.1.1 went much much further than my P3S ever has.....false advertising and dodgy firmware, perhaps....I don't know....I just want to be able to fly a max of 200-300m out, if that....so a bit pissed really.

Reactions: RDZDroneFlier
Any tray to see or format the second micro sd of down of the battery? Its possible the limits are in this misterious micro sd?

Is this removable?? What is this for?? I dont have this issue cause I have old FW, mine goes 40+ thousand ft. But I will def be checking for this mysterious sd card when I get home

Is this removable?? What is this for?? I dont have this issue cause I have old FW, mine goes 40+ thousand ft. But I will def be checking for this mysterious sd card when I get home

I bet thats where the OS resides. Dont remove it.

I read somewhere about this sd card in the ac a month or so ago. So this card is the "little black box" of the aircraft right? and when you plug the phantom into a cpu that's what it reads from?

I read somewhere about this sd card in the ac a month or so ago. So this card is the "little black box" of the aircraft right? and when you plug the phantom into a cpu that's what it reads from?

Yeah bit its usually glud into the MC on top of the mainboard.

Just found this thread and I experience the same short distance problem with my Std.
I have had my P3S for a few months now and was originally flying in town/city parks etc and experiencing short distance problem, so I have been going further a field into the countryside on the quest for better distance.....still to no avail.
I contacted DJI a couple of months back and they blamed it on the phone I was using as the device is not on their list of devices, I tried once using my ipad air and did manage to get to about 100m out and then lost confidence and brought her back as I had to lay the ipad on my hardshell case as I cannot figure out a decent cradle configuration to have it on the RC....so it was a bit of a pain.
I then purchased and paid express shipping from the U.S for a set of ArgTek Wi-Fi extender aeriel things and connected them to my RC and I'm still experiencing the problem.....so much so in fact that my P3S lost it's signal during a shoot last weekend at a ruined castle and decided to land itself on the roof of the castle I was shooting, it was no more than 12-14m up and about 3-4m in front of me and pretty much in direct sight
Thank god the organisation who looks after the place took a sympathetic view and sent someone up to retrieve it and I am meeting up with "said" nice person to reclaim my drone tomorrow.

So if she is still alive after being open to the elements for a couple of days I will be giving this"taking the firmware back" a go and hoping for the best.....nothing ventured nothing gained.....but tbh DJI should kind off be ashamed of themselves for painting this picture of what distances could possibly be achieved with this bird, admittedly I'm not expecting the full distances as stated by DJI as this is as they say....in perfect conditions, but I'm certainly expecting a dam sight more than 30-40m etc, jeez my Phantom v1.1.1 went much much further than my P3S ever has.....false advertising and dodgy firmware, perhaps....I don't know....I just want to be able to fly a max of 200-300m out, if that....so a bit pissed really.
Almost same story as mine... Was not able to fly, out of the box fully updated and calibrated, more than 50-60 meters. Thank God i found this forum and started searching. Downgrading to 1.5.7 gave me the oportunity to fly 400+ meters in urban and almost 900meters in rural areas respectively... You should give it a try. Not hard if you follow the steps... Imho range is never enough... When you reach your ideal target you always search for more after a while... I am currently enjoying almost 2.5km distance with stable video and i have spent less than 10 euros on mods and a few hours on reading and applying. This community is a great source of knowledge and help...

Last edited:
As you guys know, I was so desperate after 1.6.8 firmware upgrade and I was loosing RC signal within 40m-60m .. But After 1.5 months finally solved it permanently.. Here we go!!!

In my method, Basically you need to put 1.6.80 firmware to your RC and also you need to put 1.5.70+ to aircraft. so How do we do that?>???

1. You need upgrade your drone using LATEST DJI go app. ( if you are already in 1.6.8, then downgrade it in to 1.5.7 )
2. After upgrading to 1.6.8 please close DJI go app, restart the drone and RC connect it, after that Switch off all the things.
3. Then download and put 1.5.7 firmware bin file to a SD card.
4. Put the SD card in to the aircraft WITHOUT turning it on.
5. Then turn on the aircraft WHILE PRESSING RC LINK BUTTON ON THE AIRCRAFT LEFT SIDE BODY.
6. Hold it on for like 20 seconds and release it.
7. Then complete firmware upgrading process will start and it will be over within 10-15min as usual..
8.Then restart the drone.
9.After all these steps your RC will be stay in 1.6.8 and your aircraft will be 1.5.7+ and DO NOT UPGRADE AGAIN, unless you want the problem again.. LoL...

Have a flight and PLEASE DON'T FORGET TO COMMENT THE RANGE YOU GOT!!!!!

PS: And finally thanks you my friend "mpogrebnoy" ( from US ) for showing me that game changing screenshots ..

Does this affect negatively to the software process of the drone? make it bricked? After following this way how far is your range?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20