Advanced Or 4K

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I just want to get some opinions whether I should get the advanced model, or the 'new' 4k model. Since they are at the same price($719 after student discount). Is there any significant differences except for the fact that the new 4k model have a better camera? It doesn't quite stack up. Also, should I worry about the huge bitrate drop between Professional and Advanced?

Phantom 3 Professional:10Mbps
Phantom 3 Advanced:2Mbps

-Eric

You're confusing the 4K w/ the Pro. The 4K is just a Standard w/ a 4K camera. So to answer your question, get the Advanced. If you want the 10Mbps AND the 4K camera, get the Pro.

The new 4K model only has wifi for control rather than the very much better Lightbridge of the Advanced.
The new model has 480p live view - a big step down from the 720p of the Adv.
The Adv camera is the same as the Pro except for 4k and unless you use goggles you won't notice a difference.
The Advanced is a fabulous tool and wins this competition by miles.

Reactions: happydays
I agree with Meta4, for the money you just can't beat the advanced at this stage and you definitely want Lightbridge. Go to the Phantom 3 Standard forum, you will find countless threads where people are trying to get more range because they are not happy with what they have.

I bought the Pro because I want to get the HDMI output module and use goggles once in a while. I bought mine during the black friday sale at Bestbuy though, if the Advanced was the price it is now, then I would hands down have picked the advanced. I have logged 30 something flights and still haven't used the higher bitrate of the live feed or the 4k benefits really. I know everyone says they shoot in 4k so they can have some wiggle room during editing but since the advanced can shoot in 2.7k now you can also have wiggle room during editing and still output to 1080p that will look better than if you shot in 1080p. All 3 Phantoms you are considering shoot photos the same which is what I personally mostly use my Professional for.

Reactions: Καλλιστώ
Hello everyone, I just want to get some opinions whether I should get the advanced model, or the 'new' 4k model. Since they are at the same price($719 after student discount). Is there any significant differences except for the fact that the new 4k model have a better camera? It doesn't quite stack up. Also, should I worry about the huge bitrate drop between Professional and Advanced?

Phantom 3 Professional:10Mbps
Phantom 3 Advanced:2Mbps

-Eric
where are you getting a student discount on these?

You're confusing the 4K w/ the Pro. The 4K is just a Standard w/ a 4K camera. So to answer your question, get the Advanced. If you want the 10Mbps AND the 4K camera, get the Pro.

The 4k is not "Just a Standard w/a 4k camera." It also comes with a controller that has the same buttons as the Advanced and Pro models and appears to be identical on the outside as well. Also the Phantom 3 4k has the Vision Positioning System which the Standard does not have. And the control range is listed at FCC 1200m, CE 500m compared to the Phantom 3 Standard listed control range of FCC 1000m and CE 500m

The DJI news page that shows the Phantom 3 4k with the controller that looks like the Pro/Advanced controller:
DJI Announces the Phantom 3 4K

The 4k is not "Just a Standard w/a 4k camera." It also comes with a controller that has the same buttons as the Advanced and Pro models and appears to be identical on the outside as well. Also the Phantom 3 4k has the Vision Positioning System which the Standard does not have. And the control range is listed at FCC 1200m, CE 500m compared to the Phantom 3 Standard listed control range of FCC 1000m and CE 500m

The DJI news page that shows the Phantom 3 4k with the controller that looks like the Pro/Advanced controller:
DJI Announces the Phantom 3 4K
Sorry, let me correct myself.

The 4K is just a Standard w/ a 4K camera and a RTH button, with very slightly longer range.

Some of the 3rd party apps, such as AutoPilot do not show support for the Standard, and may not support the 4K. Not sure about Litchi. Probably want to verify before you purchase if you plan to use them. IMHO, the Advanced can't be beat at that price, for the reasons (Lightbridge, etc) stated in posts above.

Sorry, let me correct myself.

The 4K is just a Standard w/ a 4K camera and a RTH button, with very slightly longer range.
Don't forget the vision positioning System, better feeling controller and device mount. I am not saying he should get the Phantom 4k, I am simply trying to make sure you don't state false information for anyone else trying to make the decision. I agree the Advanced just can't be beat at the sale price.

Reactions: RadRich
Get some polarized ND filters. Also get a gimbal clamp so you don't have to meddle with the plastic one DJI supplies, this is the one I use and it is awesome. It won't fit over Polar Pro filters though so if you plan on leaving the filters on during storage which I don't do, then you should get the polar pro gimbal clamp as well. Also get this short cable if you have an iOS device.

[email protected]

And I will just get the Advanced. Thanks everyone. Also, is there any accessories I should purchase along with the copter?
Extra Battery(ies).
Additional SD card(s)
Micro SD card adapter (can come with new SD card purchase)
Micro SD-> USB Adapter
Lanyard/Neck Strap
Short Lightning Cable (if using an IOS solution)
Camera Lens Cap
-------------------------
Down the road:
ND Filters
Range Extenders (Windsurfers)
Case

SD

[email protected]

And I will just get the Advanced. Thanks everyone. Also, is there any accessories I should purchase along with the copter?
A case - it will keep all your stuff together in one place and you won't forget to take stuff out with you. Like SD cards. Ask me how I know...

Extra Battery(ies).
Additional SD card(s)
Micro SD card adapter (can come with new SD card purchase)
Micro SD-> USB Adapter
Lanyard/Neck Strap
Short Lightning Cable (if using an IOS solution)
Camera Lens Cap
-------------------------
Down the road:
ND Filters
Range Extenders (Windsurfers)
Case

SD
Yes I forgot to add the windsurfer, I have the 3-D printed one you can find on thingverse here. I bought some copper foil tape after printing and this works great. I have only dared to go 2.2 miles out so far but that was with full bars and no signal issues at all. I think you can also buy this directly from the designer with foil already added by emailing him but have not tried that route.

Also i have been thinking of getting the Inspire 1 aluminum device holder for when I use my iPad, supposedly it is much sturdier than the plastic P3 mobile device holder.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4